The Student Room Group

Graduating at 23/24???

Hi, i'm 20 and currently on a foundation year. I'll be going onto a science based degree next year.

By the time i'll finish i'll be basically 24. This has been worrying me as my peers are already on their second year and I haven't even started yet.I took a gap year and did the wrong A levels.

Anyway, it's kinda embarrassing. I feel awkward sitting in class with 18 year olds as I don't have as much in common with them as I used to. I definitely regret taking the gap year, I wasted precious time.

Will this put me at a disadvantage in comparison to 21 year olds finishing?
(edited 8 years ago)
It won't put you at a disadvantage, am graduating this year at the age of 27.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it ll make much of a difference. I ll be 23 when I graduate and I don't feel that old for it especially as it's young for my career choice anyway.
Reply 3
I wouldn't have thought it would disadvantage you in any way whatsoever.

Regarding your comment about 'wasting precious time,' you've got you're whole life ahead working, enjoy it while you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The average age at my uni was about 20 at freshers, when you take in the gap yahs and others who took their good old time. You have nothing to worry about.
I will be 23 when I graduate this year, and then I'm doing a part time MA which will put me at 25, then I want to train to be a teacher or do a PhD - so I won't be completely done with uni until I'm 26-30. There is no right time and no rush!

Be glad you are studying the 'right' thing now instead and make the most of it.
Age does not matter. You're just over thinking the situation.

No one cares how old you are in uni.

You're there to get your degree and move onto better things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't worry at all about it. So many people make changes later in life so you always find people at different ages and stages in their lives

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest