Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Philosophy Month: Tell us what you think Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Good morning/afternoon/evening, all

To those of you that haven't been here before, welcome to Philosophy, please do get involved For those that have, you will hopefully have seen our #DeepThoughtThursdays account, and maybe posted on some of the threads.

Following on from this, we're making February 'Philosophy Month'... we've got some great threads in the worls, but we'd love to get your input too! Got an idea for a thread? Post it here, or make the thread and we'll get it promoted for you!

Let's get Philosophical :ninja:

What is philosophy, anyway?
    What would happen if an unstoppable force met an immovable object?
    Are we entitled to anything?
    A sense of purpose
    Why do we fear our own happiness?

ReputationRep:
    Great idea lass. I know of quite a few members who would enjoy a thought or two.

ReputationRep:
    My take on it(?) Philosophy is at best a game, at it's most influential level, Junk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    My take on it(?) Philosophy is at best a game, at it's most influential level, Junk.
    Interesting! Was it not Philosophy itself that gave you the thinking skills to come to that conclusion? Why not make a thread titled "Anti-Philosophy" and explain your position if you feel strongly about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absent Agent)
    Interesting! Was it not Philosophy itself that gave you the thinking skills to come to that conclusion? Why not make a thread titled "Anti-Philosophy" and explain your position if you feel strongly about it?
    No it wasn't philosophy, we are by our very nature philosophical beasts, the philosophy I am referring to is this construct that people relate to our natural musings about our world. We have a better method now it is the scientific method, philosophy is unneeded and a complete waste of time. I will ask you the question I have still not had an answer to, what truth has philosophy given us?

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't philosophy, we are by our very nature philosophical beasts, the philosophy I am referring to is this construct that people relate to our natural musings about our world. We have a better method now it is the scientific method, philosophy is unneeded and a complete waste of time. I will ask you the question I have still not had an answer to, what truth has philosophy given us?
    Well, Philosophy is not so much about finding truths as it's about whether we can find truths, and the scientific method you're referring to was a result of thinking systematically about natural world. It was Philosophy that had to figure out whether we could think systematically about the world.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Philosophy is not so much about finding truths as it's about whether we can find truths, and the scientific method you're referring to was a result of thinking systematically about natural world. It was Philosophy that had to figure out whether we could think systematically about the world.
    I think we would have found the Scientific Method a lot quicker without the influence of philosophy. Aristotle's influence lasted for two millenia. There are two examples of philosophical thinking that I can concede as useful, the Atom and Alchemy, of course when philosophy made it into the B's suddenly we were burning witches.

ReputationRep:
    The state of AS Philosophy, if this is not laughable I do not know what is.

YES
    • intelligent design
    • Paley's watch analogy
    • Plato- it is all an illusion thus too complex for an evolutionary theory to explain it
    • the conditions on earth are too perfect to have been created by chance
    • evolution is only a 'theory'
    NO
    • nothing is ever too complex
    • complex is subjective
    • everything has an explanation through a theory as it is logical
    • Russel- we don't actually need to explain why the universe is here

ReputationRep:
    I think we would have found the Scientific Method a lot quicker without the influence of philosophy. Aristotle's influence lasted for two millenia. There are two examples of philosophical thinking that I can concede as useful, the Atom and Alchemy, of course when philosophy made it into the B's suddenly we were burning witches.
    Aristotle's ultimate influence has lasted up to this day because in one sense he created what we now call the scientific method. Of course, his explanations didn't stand the test of time but the source of those explanations remained subject to our understanding of the world. For this reason, the Philosophy dealing with this branch of knowledge (metaphysics) is a historical "science". That's why modern Physics is almost indistinguishable from philosophy, for it has made a transition from classical thinking about the world.

ReputationRep:
    Aristotle's ultimate influence has lasted up to this day because in one sense he created what we now call the scientific method. Of course, his explanations didn't stand the test of time but the source of those explanations remained subject to our understanding of the world. For this reason, the Philosophy dealing with this branch of knowledge (metaphysics) is a historical "science". That's why modern Physics is almost indistinguishable from philosophy, for it has made a transition from classical thinking about the world.
    Yes I have heard the claims of the Philosophy students whose heads have been filled with the claims of Philosophers. I still want to know what philosophy has done especially in the fields of science, Richard Feynman expressed it very well when he said:
    Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong.

He also concluded that philosophy is as useful to science as Ornithology is to birds.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have heard the claims of the Philosophy students whose heads have been filled with the claims of Philosophers. I still want to know what philosophy has done especially in the fields of science, Richard Feynman expressed it very well when he said:
    Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong.

He also concluded that philosophy is as useful to science as Ornithology is to birds.
    Philosophy not only created a human discipline as science, it has also always tried to examine the assumptions and foundational issues in it. Hence, we have Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Mathematics and etc.

Feynman's use of simile doesn't validate his point. I'm not sure if he was ready to explain why he thought that was the case. It is most likely that he had favoured encounters with philosophy to, as some people would say, fit his narrative. We also have had many great scientists who did realise the role of Philosophy in Science. Newton is a good and great example. Not only he wasn't a Physicist, as modern people would say, he was a Philosopher, and it's reflected in his work, for there are still many people who don't understand how Newton could come up with such intuitive ideas as the laws of motion and their mathematical formulations, for example. Max Born was a physics noble-prize winner and he famously observed;

"I am now convinced that theoretical physics is actually philosophy. It has revolutionized fundamental concepts, e.g., about space and time (relativity), about causality (quantum theory), and about substance and matter (atomistics). It has taught us new methods of thinking (complimentarity), which are applicable far beyond physics."

Of course, Max Born specifically talks about theoretical physics here, not only because it aims to explain the experimental observations, but also because it tries to predict natural phenomena.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.