The Student Room Group

Gravitational waves finally discovered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laomedeia
I have always wondered what exactly is gravity. Its a force generated by massive objects such as planets and stars (and everyday stuff to a negligible degree). But what is the underlying mechanism generating the force of gravity? Magnetism is very similar. Really makes me wonder.

Currently we can explain three out of four fundamental forces with things called exchange particles.

Strong nuclear force is due the exchange of particles called gluons.

Weak Nuclear force is exchange of W and Z bosons.

Electromagnetic force is exchange of photons.

The final force is gravity but we don't have any solid evidence of what the exchange particle is or if there is even one. It's hypothesized that there is an exchange particle called a graviton. But this involves explaining gravity on a quantum scale and then making that consistent with gravity on large scale of general relativity. Both have us stumped :confused:

So to answer your question. We dunno.
(edited 8 years ago)
Let's wait for the results to be published in a scientific journal rather than the good old Dailymail before getting too excited.

Old but a classic....

[video="youtube;5eBT6OSr1TI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI[/video]
SS
Original post by Laomedeia
I have always wondered what exactly is gravity. Its a force generated by massive objects such as planets and stars (and everyday stuff to a negligible degree). But what is the underlying mechanism generating the force of gravity? Magnetism is very similar. Really makes me wonder.

The spaghetti monster's noodley appendages.
Original post by Supersaps
Let's wait for the results to be published in a scientific journal rather than the good old Dailymail before getting too excited.

Old but a classic....

[video="youtube;5eBT6OSr1TI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI[/video]
SS

That's gold hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending