Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Rig:
AMD Phenom ii x4 925 @2.8 GHz
Gigabyte GT630 2GB DDR3
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Asus M5A78L motherboard

I need to overclock my processor, the multiplier is x14 which is the max, so I need to do an FSB overclock. What is the max I can push it? (Aftermarket Fan- idles- 32 degrees, full load- 40 degrees)
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
Rig:
z 925 @2.8 GHz
Gigabyte GT630 2GB DDR3
Assuming this is a serious post, I'm not sure what benefits from overclocking you could feasibly be hoping for? Those are very low end parts that won't have a huge amount of headroom for overclocking performance, and cooling on these bottom-end DDR3 cards is normally pretty terrible too.
sw651
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Assuming this is a serious post, I'm not sure what benefits from overclocking you could feasibly be hoping for? Those are very low end parts that won't have a huge amount of headroom for overclocking performance, and cooling on these bottom-end DDR3 cards is normally pretty terrible too.
I'm changing the graphics card in favour of a GTX 770.

How is a Phenom a low end processor? Were you expecting an i7 Extreme? I understand it is an older processor, but it is hardly a dual core Athlon or worse. You be surprised at the performance you can get from it.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
I'm changing the graphics card in favour of a GTX 770.

How is a Phenom a low end processor? Were you expecting an i7 Extreme? I understand it is an older processor, but it is hardly a dual core Athlon or worse. You be surprised at the performance you can get from it.
"Older" is almost 7 years old in this case, it sits on a par to Intel's £50 Pentiums from last year. Performance may be fine, but it's still low end.

Besides, I was responding the system with different information, what was the point in asking how good your rig is with a crappy 630 when you already plan to swap it for a 770 anyway? That would have been a bit more useful to know.
TrojanH
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
get a 290x

want to oc ur cpu? dont
really want to oc ur cpu?
get an alpenfohn k2 mount doom or a good, high end air/water cooler

make sure your psu is sufficient and capable of the upgrade / oc as amd chips need a lot of juice
sw651
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
"Older" is almost 7 years old in this case, it sits on a par to Intel's £50 Pentiums from last year. Performance may be fine, but it's still low end.

Besides, I was responding the system with different information, what was the point in asking how good your rig is with a crappy 630 when you already plan to swap it for a 770 anyway? That would have been a bit more useful to know.
Not all GHz are made equally, most with decent knowledge will know this.

Either way, what overclocking potential is possible. I've pushed it to 3.2GHz and it was perfectly stable, voltage was fine too. I reckon 3.5 would be about the Max with air cooling
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sw651)
Not all GHz are made equally, most with decent knowledge will know this.
I wasn't talking about GHz, I was talking about it being really old. Processor architecture has improved a lot in the last six years, hence why your Phenom sits very similarly to Intel's £50 Pentium G3258 in performance benchmarks and real world usage scenarios.

Either way, what overclocking potential is possible. I've pushed it to 3.2GHz and it was perfectly stable, voltage was fine too. I reckon 3.5 would be about the Max with air cooling
To be honest I have no idea how processors that old handle overclocking, I've only been into this side of computing since 2012. Hopefully someone here will have a bit more knowledge on the subject when it comes to earlier generations of processor that will be able to help :yep:
sw651
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I wasn't talking about GHz, I was talking about it being really old. Processor architecture has improved a lot in the last six years, hence why your Phenom sits very similarly to Intel's £50 Pentium G3258 in performance benchmarks and real world usage scenarios.

To be honest I have no idea how processors that old handle overclocking, I've only been into this side of computing since 2012. Hopefully someone here will have a bit more knowledge on the subject when it comes to earlier generations of processor that will be able to help :yep:
OOOOH, I got you now, that's fair enough. You have to remember the Pentium is a dual core, and my Phenom is a quad core with a L3 cache

Cheers Anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (90)
64.75%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.25%

Watched Threads