The Student Room Group

University of Toronto with these grades?

Hey guys,I've already applied to the University of Toronto and I just finished uploading my documents. I have 5 A*s and 3 As in IGCSE and my AS results are AAAB for bio, chem, math and history respectively. I'm predicted A*A*AB for the subjects in that order. I did have to retake my math to obtain that grade so I don't know. I also retook history but my first attempt was higher and that's making me really worry about what they'll think of my second attempt. Also, my first language isn't english and I have been speaking english my whole life in school and at home and I also have an A* at English language at IGCSE level and a predicted A for AS level english. I haven't uploaded any documents specific to that - it's mentioned in my IGCSE marksheet and my predicted form so do I have to take further actions? I also have my IELTS result which is an 8 but should I send that in especially when my IGCSE results already satisfy the english requirements?Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

I think you got a good chance, I got rejected with BBBA in AS, but same IG grades as you, for some reason they didn't ask for my predicted grades which are AAA. Also sent my SAT score 2000+ for what its worth, but didn't help much.
Reply 2
Original post by KyleBroflovski
I think you got a good chance, I got rejected with BBBA in AS, but same IG grades as you, for some reason they didn't ask for my predicted grades which are AAA. Also sent my SAT score 2000+ for what its worth, but didn't help much.

Which program did you apply for?
Computer Engineering, I know it's extremely competitive
Original post by Inkfigment
Which program did you apply for?
Reply 4
Computer Engineering, I know it's extremely competitive

Oh, that's too bad then. I hope everything is going well on that front.
I applied for biology.
Good Luck! :biggrin: btw what other unis have you applied to?
Reply 6
Good Luck! :biggrin: btw what other unis have you applied to?

Thank you!
Waterloo, British Columbia and McGill. Thinking about applying to McMaster but I'll see.
Just so happens I've applied to these unis too. Got rejected from McGill, waiting on the others. McMaster is pretty good too, I also applied to uAlberta and Queens University.

Thank you!
Waterloo, British Columbia and McGill. Thinking about applying to McMaster but I'll see.
Reply 8
Just so happens I've applied to these unis too. Got rejected from McGill, waiting on the others. McMaster is pretty good too, I also applied to uAlberta and Queens University.

Good luck to you! It's really nice to talk to someone who's applying to the same colleges.
By the way, do you know when exactly the deadline for UAlberta is? It was kinda vague on the website and i didn't really check again.
It's March 1st. Yep the site is extremely confusing in every aspect, luckily the applicant portal you access after you've applied is decent.

Good luck to you! It's really nice to talk to someone who's applying to the same colleges.
By the way, do you know when exactly the deadline for UAlberta is? It was kinda vague on the website and i didn't really check again.
Hey guys,I've already applied to the University of Toronto and I just finished uploading my documents. I have 5 A*s and 3 As in IGCSE and my AS results are AAAB for bio, chem, math and history respectively. I'm predicted A*A*AB for the subjects in that order. I did have to retake my math to obtain that grade so I don't know. I also retook history but my first attempt was higher and that's making me really worry about what they'll think of my second attempt. Also, my first language isn't english and I have been speaking english my whole life in school and at home and I also have an A* at English language at IGCSE level and a predicted A for AS level english. I haven't uploaded any documents specific to that - it's mentioned in my IGCSE marksheet and my predicted form so do I have to take further actions? I also have my IELTS result which is an 8 but should I send that in especially when my IGCSE results already satisfy the english requirements?Thanks in advance!

You're fine. I had a meeting with Tara Egan Wu in London, somebody from the admissions office at U of T and she said the lowest grades you could get and still be taken seriously is AABB, possibly ABBB but any lower and you're sort of going to be giggled at. In short, yes, go for it.
Original post by ivybridge
You're fine. I had a meeting with Tara Egan Wu in London, somebody from the admissions office at U of T and she said the lowest grades you could get and still be taken seriously is AABB, possibly ABBB but any lower and you're sort of going to be giggled at. In short, yes, go for it.

Hey, do you know if this would pass for McGill Faculty of Arts:

7 Average (A-D) GCSEs (A in Maths, Spanish), 3 AS and AAA* Prediction in French, Economics, and Maths, respectively?

Thanks.
Original post by coffee125
Hey, do you know if this would pass for McGill Faculty of Arts:

7 Average (A-D) GCSEs (A in Maths, Spanish), 3 AS and AAA* Prediction in French, Economics, and Maths, respectively?

Thanks.

Hello!

I actually applied to McGill myself and their minimum entry requirement for A-Levels is BBC I think but McGill is very competitive so you'll be looking to get at least ABB-AAB in order to get in I think, personally. As such, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as your 3 AS grades are realistically in-line with those predictions. Basically, if you got CCC and then got A*AA as predictions then they're likely to look at your profile oddly.
Hello!

I actually applied to McGill myself and their minimum entry requirement for A-Levels is BBC I think but McGill is very competitive so you'll be looking to get at least ABB-AAB in order to get in I think, personally. As such, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as your 3 AS grades are realistically in-line with those predictions. Basically, if you got CCC and then got A*AA as predictions then they're likely to look at your profile oddly.

Well, I got an A in AS French, then a B in Economics and I failed (D) the Maths one (B C1, C C2, U M1) but i've changed my modules (M1 to S2) and have recently been predicted A*

So i'm guessing it's kind of a long shot..?
Well, I got an A in AS French, then a B in Economics and I failed (D) the Maths one (B C1, C C2, U M1) but i've changed my modules (M1 to S2) and have recently been predicted A*

So i'm guessing it's kind of a long shot..?

I think you should try and get a supporting reference or letter for math. Otherwise - you'll be in with a shot but I'm not sure how much of one I'm afraid.
I think you should try and get a supporting reference or letter for math. Otherwise - you'll be in with a shot but I'm not sure how much of one I'm afraid.

Alright thanks

Yeah, they changed my Status last week to Further Review Required and on the files we uploaded had my last three reports in Maths which showed extreme optimism and progress; but I was under the impression (from practically the whole internet) that they disregarded references and are purely grade based.

Which Faculty did you apply to?
Do you know how hard it would be to get into uwaterloo or UBC?

Hello!

Alright thanks

Yeah, they changed my Status last week to Further Review Required and on the files we uploaded had my last three reports in Maths which showed extreme optimism and progress; but I was under the impression (from practically the whole internet) that they disregarded references and are purely grade based.

Which Faculty did you apply to?

Okay.

Arts.
Do you know how hard it would be to get into uwaterloo or UBC?

I'm afraid not. I think it's very similar.
Reply 19
I've heard UWaterloo is a pretty easy institution to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest