Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics As question (Help) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    Well I'm somewhat happy that you proved my point. Y = -mx would be described as proportional, yet has a 'negative correlation', whilst Y = 1/x is inversely proportional and does not fit the nice pattern.

Moreover, nobody uses the term correlation if you're talking about a simple theoretical relationship - correlations are for experimental (statistical) data. Proportionality is a different concept, and trying to explain one in terms of the other won't work very well.
    I will assume you do not realise that y=c-mx is infact the same as y=K/X

You see, when you begin to play with the Taylor series or binomial expansion theorem, you will see where I'm coming from.

So both cases are in fact exactly the same, inversely proportional.

I don't want you to get the impression that I am arguing or trying to sail home my point, I understand what you mean and it is quite acceptable from anyone in that category of learning

Cheers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.