a-levels to sucess Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sasuke!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi, i am still deciding what to take to for a-level, i want have a career in accounting, stockbroker or maybe an insurance broker, i need some advie from the wise people of uk learning!!!
ive decided on maths, economics and accounting and was considering biology but heard taht its hard and pointless for me!!!

thanks in advance
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Drop accounting. Pick up a science.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah drop accounting. biology isn't hard, I did no homework for AS biology and still pulled off an A.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
hi, i am still deciding what to take to for a-level, i want have a career in accounting, stockbroker or maybe an insurance broker, i need some advie from the wise people of uk learning!!!
ive decided on maths, economics and accounting and was considering biology but heard taht its hard and pointless for me!!!

thanks in advance
stick with the science - it will teach you to be analytical which will be, in part, a transferable skill
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do an Accounting A-level if you plan not to go university.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maths is obviously the undoubted biggie - just make sure that your other subjects have a strong academic element and that you enjoy them. Taking up physics wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, if you enjoy it that is - it would complement maths and open up other doors.
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
thanks for teh advice, so i intend to take up maths, economics and biology whould i do a fourth???
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
thanks for teh advice, so i intend to take up maths, economics and biology whould i do a fourth???
For a fourth, just do whatever other academic subject you enjoy and are interested in.
Lemming
Report 14 years ago
I'm just finishing Maths and Economics (and English Lit for that matter), and Economics (& English) bored the hell out of me.

Maths was pointless stuff you'll never need again, unless you want to be a maths teacher or study at university. Though seeing a maths A-Level on a CV I guess is impressive, so it has its plusses and minuses.

Economics is just boring. The course I did (OCR) just seemed padded out like they didn't have enough content, so they ask us some random rubbish. I can't think of much good from it, although I think everyone should understand the basics of how the economy works - most people don't.

And English is just looking for hidden meanings the author probably never intended.

Call me cynical, but I think I'm a realist.

Anyway, I wish I'd gone for IT, Physics, perhaps Psychology (it interests me, but isn't worth too much however) and Maths (despite what I said - it's the best A-Level to own).

Hope that helps.
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemming)
I'm just finishing Maths and Economics (and English Lit for that matter), and Economics (& English) bored the hell out of me.

Maths was pointless stuff you'll never need again, unless you want to be a maths teacher or study at university. Though seeing a maths A-Level on a CV I guess is impressive, so it has its plusses and minuses.

Economics is just boring. The course I did (OCR) just seemed padded out like they didn't have enough content, so they ask us some random rubbish. I can't think of much good from it, although I think everyone should understand the basics of how the economy works - most people don't.

And English is just looking for hidden meanings the author probably never intended.

Call me cynical, but I think I'm a realist.

Anyway, I wish I'd gone for IT, Physics, perhaps Psychology (it interests me, but isn't worth too much however) and Maths (despite what I said - it's the best A-Level to own).

Hope that helps.
yeah thanks but the main erason i am doing maths is because of what you said, i think economics will be good because it is regarded as a academic subject, biology is because i want to do a science because i am predicted an A for it!!! and find maths interesting, i think iwill let my gcse results influence what i will choose, i mean i dont really enjoy any of them i just get on with it, i might try something new but i know that these are really important

what are peplea opinions on business???
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lemming)
Maths was pointless stuff you'll never need again, unless you want to be a maths teacher or study at university.
Surely that's true of most academic A-levels?
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
I kind of want to go into that field and im taking Maths, History, Economics and Physics/English Lit...
Lemming
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vmong)
yeah thanks but the main erason i am doing maths is because of what you said, i think economics will be good because it is regarded as a academic subject, biology is because i want to do a science because i am predicted an A for it!!! and find maths interesting, i think iwill let my gcse results influence what i will choose, i mean i dont really enjoy any of them i just get on with it, i might try something new but i know that these are really important

what are peplea opinions on business???
Be careful letting your GCSE's influence - English Lit was my only A* at GCSE, so I thought it should choose it really. I hate much of the A-level course. AS wasn't so bad, but A2 bored me to tears. That said, I should be getting the highest grade of my subjects this summer, so that'll look good.

I wish I'd have done something I was interested in, rather than feeling pressured to do something I've been good at in the past.
Lemming
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Surely that's true of most academic A-levels?
Yeah, I suppose. Well my other two (Economics and Eng Lit) are regarded as academic subjects too (I would think) - economics has some use - everyone should know the basics at least of the economy before they start putting crosses on their ballot forms. And English is used in everyday life. I can't speak for other subjects, though I imagine physics is another thing that's very useful in certain circumstances.

But maths is just silly at times. And almost everything we learned at A level seemed to contradict what we'd done at GCSE.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vmong)

thanks in advance
Do at least one subject which will require you to write essays. It doesn't have to be English or History, but some writing is absolutely essential. Competitive firms will expect excellent communication skills, and from the level of punctuation, grammer and spelling in this post, it seems you have a lot of work in this area.
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
and from the level of punctuation, grammer and spelling in this post, it seems you have a lot of work in this area.
*ahem*
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of intertest how does Alevel maths contradict GCSE maths? I would say the rigourous understanding of concepts like rates of change gained from alevel maths would be useful in everyday life.
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
hi i need some adveice about actury, if i do deice that the career intersts me then the a-levels subjects that i will take are

biology for analytical and im fairly good with it
maths as its helps with probability ets
economics for business knowledge and the economy
and i was thinking about psycology as it helps with human behavior or is it socilogy???

any advice?
sneezyme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
take a language a-level, i know i'm biased and all, but seriously you will be so much more employable with a language-my mum's an accountant and the amount of job adverts that look for accountants which require fluency in a foreign language is quite high. you'll earn much more than just an ordinary accountant.
Sasuke!
Rep:
?
(Original post by sneezyme)
take a language a-level, i know i'm biased and all, but seriously you will be so much more employable with a language-my mum's an accountant and the amount of job adverts that look for accountants which require fluency in a foreign language is quite high. you'll earn much more than just an ordinary accountant.
well im chinese and i can speak chinese fluently but not the technical words does tha count i mean there are lots of chinese business people who have difficulty communicatiing with english people maybe that can be my market!
what kind of academic routhes did she take>?

also at the end of the end of the day its not all doen to money i mean i like woring with numbers and i will get respected from my family as i will be a professional
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed