Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ID for clubbing - driving license Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that a lot of ids aren't accepted at clubs/bars these days. I'm thinking of getting a provisional driving licence instead as I think they're always accepted even though I won't be learning to drive . I just had a few questions:
    - for driving a provisional license is only valid for 2 years. can you automatically renew the license after 2 years or do you have to wait like a year before you get another provisional license? This is in case I decide after 2 years that I do want to learn to drive - I couldn't do this if I had to wait another year to get a provisional licence.
    - also are there any other types of ID that are always accepted? Id rather not bring my passport around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_4_life)
    ^
    - UK driving license
    - passport
    - national identity card
    - military id
    - PASS-certificated photocards

If you don't have any, then you could either get a provisional license (which you'll probably need anyway) or one of these: http://www.citizencard.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    - UK driving license
    - passport
    - national identity card
    - military id
    - PASS-certificated photocards

If you don't have any, then you could either get a provisional license (which you'll probably need anyway) or one of these: http://www.citizencard.com/
    Ok thank you! Do you think they'll always work? Like sometimes they get rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you! Do you think they'll always work? Like sometimes they get rejected?
    There's no reason why it should be rejected, as they're all legally accredited photo-ids... the PASS hologram on the citizencard means that everyone should be able to accept it as valid id :cute: unless you get a really dozey bouncer who doesn't know his id...

Also, preliminary driving licenses are valid for as long as normal driving licenses - which I think is 50 years if I remember

ReputationRep:
    Provisionals are "EU photocard driving licences" specifically accepted by Challenge 25 and by extension the pubs/shops/bars running the Challenge 25 scheme. They're fine.

http://www.challenge25.org/proving.html

Also provisionals expire after 10 years.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my provisional always works and my boyfriends military ID always works too

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.