Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have applied to (in no order of importance) University of Manchester, UCL, University of Sheffield, University of Liverpool and University of Westminster. My head of hall at college said my personal statement was very strong and my predicted grades are AAB. I study A2 English Literature, A2 Chemistry (which is ridiculously difficult) and A2 Biology. I dropped AS Maths.

Obviously, Manchester, Sheffield and UCL have rejected me (Sheffield offered me a place for Urban Planning or something like that). I know the reasons why I have been rejected by these three, especially by UCL; I don't study Art & Design a level or any design/art-based subjects. I'm also resitting 7 modules so that might have also put them off. I really wanted to study at Sheffield so I was a little gutted when I got the rejection (for some reason, I was ok with Manchester and UCL rejecting me?). Liverpool has asked for me to send a digital portfolio on powerpoint/pdf (I don't know how to compose a portfolio in a powerpoint that'll look pleasing) before 2nd March 2016 and Westminster has given me an interview on 17th February 2016. I'll say it now; I don't think I would like to study at Westminster/Liverpool if they were to give me an offer. However, I will still go to the interview and see what Westminster has to offer me (I'm even surprised they gave me an interview ah). I will also send my portfolio to Liverpool, I just need to finish that favourite architectural space task they've sent. I will also visit the university (I signed up for the Applicant Discovery Day?). I don't want my negative feelings to get in the way of hopefully getting an offer from Liverpool/Westminster (though it might already have).

I know, I know, I shouldn't be picky but to be honest, I would like to take up an art based a level because I feel like my portfolio is super weak (I have worked really hard on it, but the perfectionist in me is really killing me ). An art based A level would have made my portfolio stronger and it would've given me a lot to talk about/experiment with but alas I cannot rewind and fix my silly A Level choices. Plus, I heard that you have to pay a lot of money to take up a new A Level in your gap year and coming from a low income background, I don't think that's an option //sigh. I have no job, but I started volunteering recently so hmmmm.

I haven't properly decided yet but I may take a gap year because I feel like I need more time in order to fully grasp my passion for Architecture (believe me, it's there) and I would like to practice drawing from life as in get my introverted backside out and actually draw/paint what is in front of me. I feel like I have heavy bags on my shoulders, which is seriously affecting my health.

I have spoken to my head of hall today about alternate architecture uni courses and he advised me to go see a gap year counsellor about my choices/future plans. I've made an appointment with the said counsellor and I'm going to see him tomorrow.

By the way, if anyone is studying architecture at Westminster/Liverpool, please share your experiences!!! I would hate to be negative about a great architecture school!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mampfen)
    Hi, I have applied to (in no order of importance) University of Manchester, UCL, University of Sheffield, University of Liverpool and University of Westminster. My head of hall at college said my personal statement was very strong and my predicted grades are AAB. I study A2 English Literature, A2 Chemistry (which is ridiculously difficult) and A2 Biology. I dropped AS Maths.

Obviously, Manchester, Sheffield and UCL have rejected me (Sheffield offered me a place for Urban Planning or something like that). I know the reasons why I have been rejected by these three, especially by UCL; I don't study Art & Design a level or any design/art-based subjects. I'm also resitting 7 modules so that might have also put them off. I really wanted to study at Sheffield so I was a little gutted when I got the rejection (for some reason, I was ok with Manchester and UCL rejecting me?). Liverpool has asked for me to send a digital portfolio on powerpoint/pdf (I don't know how to compose a portfolio in a powerpoint that'll look pleasing) before 2nd March 2016 and Westminster has given me an interview on 17th February 2016. I'll say it now; I don't think I would like to study at Westminster/Liverpool if they were to give me an offer. However, I will still go to the interview and see what Westminster has to offer me (I'm even surprised they gave me an interview ah). I will also send my portfolio to Liverpool, I just need to finish that favourite architectural space task they've sent. I will also visit the university (I signed up for the Applicant Discovery Day?). I don't want my negative feelings to get in the way of hopefully getting an offer from Liverpool/Westminster (though it might already have).

I know, I know, I shouldn't be picky but to be honest, I would like to take up an art based a level because I feel like my portfolio is super weak (I have worked really hard on it, but the perfectionist in me is really killing me ). An art based A level would have made my portfolio stronger and it would've given me a lot to talk about/experiment with but alas I cannot rewind and fix my silly A Level choices. Plus, I heard that you have to pay a lot of money to take up a new A Level in your gap year and coming from a low income background, I don't think that's an option //sigh. I have no job, but I started volunteering recently so hmmmm.

I haven't properly decided yet but I may take a gap year because I feel like I need more time in order to fully grasp my passion for Architecture (believe me, it's there) and I would like to practice drawing from life as in get my introverted backside out and actually draw/paint what is in front of me. I feel like I have heavy bags on my shoulders, which is seriously affecting my health.

I have spoken to my head of hall today about alternate architecture uni courses and he advised me to go see a gap year counsellor about my choices/future plans. I've made an appointment with the said counsellor and I'm going to see him tomorrow.

By the way, if anyone is studying architecture at Westminster/Liverpool, please share your experiences!!! I would hate to be negative about a great architecture school!
    Have you looked into an Art & Design foundation diploma? They're FE courses (so usually offered by colleges but sometimes at universities) and are usually free if you're under 19 when you start (although you don't get any financial support for living costs). They're a 1 year course that is pretty much designed to help you build up a portfolio and develop your art experience in a range of media and styles.

Have a look at your local FE colleges and see if they offer the course (they're usually either a BTEC course or an Arts University London qualification but both are fairly similar in content).

Sheffield will accept applications with an art foundation as long as you meet their standard A level offer as well (so you'll need to nail your A levels to use this as a route into Sheffield): https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/architec...rgraduate/faqs

It's also possible to do a foundation diploma at an art college/university that also offers Architecture degrees - quite often they will have an agreement for automatic progression onto the architecture course (as long as you demonstrate aptitude). UCA Canterbury and AUB definitely offer this - UAL (CSM) and DMU hint that it's a route in. If you took a foundation diploma at one of these universities though you could apply elsewhere as well - it would just give you a good backup option.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Westminster are both really good schools, I wouldn't waste any more time doing a foundation. You can always upgrade for Part 2. Unless you especially want to study art for a year, but you said you're from a poor family so better not to waste their money as you will have plenty of time at uni to perfect your skills.

ReputationRep:
    Reading my original post really sounds biased and depressing, yikes! So, I went to the interview and I actually quite liked to univeristy. I liked the interviewer since he was really sweet and told me to think about different architects and focus on structures through loose sketching and whatnot. I agreed with him since my portfolio was kind of vague? in some sort of way anyway.

PQ Thanks for your information, but I actually knew about art and design foundation diplomas (I just forgot to mention it) and have rang up various colleges to see if they accept late applications (most do, but its on a first come, firsts serve for an interview). I do think that this is what I really want and need in order to really build up my portfoilo and build up a more specific portfolio because it is an intensive course and to be honest, I quite like that because it'll set me up for architecture (should i get into for next year's entry) and I greatly enjoy art anyway, so hopefully I can get into a college without having to pay the fees! And of course, I will work extremely hard for my grades - I won't settle for AAB!

Farchitect Thanks, but I really do want to study art for a year because I doubt that Westminister will give me an offer and I think its the same for Liverpool. Plus doing an art diploma will raise my confidence and allow me to explore different mediums and build up a more thought out and well executed portfolio that I can be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I saw that you looked at the Foundation Art and Design and I would definitely recommend it. I finished my Alevels (A2 Art, A2 Geography and AS Maths) in summer 2015 and had no idea what to do next, so I enrolled onto the Foundation Art and Design as my gap-year sort of thing before I went on to get a full-time job. I'd always been told that art was a hobby and not a career so I did for a year of enjoyment before a lifetime of work. From there I saw that I wanted to go to university and after the first term I decided I wanted to Architecture - there are two of us in my class who are applying for architecture out of 24 students. Most of us have come from either Arts based Extended Btecs or Art Alevels however there is definitely a huge range of skills. and there are a few people who have come from non-arts backgrounds.

The course is brilliant; it gives you a HUGE amount of room to experiment with different areas and techniques in the first term before you start refining your ideas; some you will enjoy and some you won't (I HATED the fashion and textiles workshops but loved the photography and perspective drawing). There's so much freedom with what you can do - it's not just fine art. People from my course are applying for a whole load of different things including architecture, prop and costume design, arts marketing, exhibition management etc but this actually makes a really nice and motivating atmosphere and it's really nice to step out of my architecture bubble for a minute and see what amazing things everyone else is doing.

The course is very heavy in terms of the amount of work you need to produce but it's definitely worth it as I've formed a portfolio from ONLY first term work. We also have weekly two hour life drawing sessions where we use different materials and techniques in each period.In terms of your online portfolio, you don't need to make it look fancy - I used powerpoint for mine as that's what they asked for. Two of my 5 offers asked for online portfolios and I got offers from both Northumbira and Nottingham Trent (I withdrew my application from two unis and the other didn't request any interviews or eportfolios). All you need to do is have the photo of your work and then a title for it, and a short description if they ask for one. It does look simple but at this point they're only interested in your work to see your potential. They look for a range of different media and that's definitely not a problem if you enroll on this course - I've done technical drawings, made 3D models of my building designs, used architectural photography, done a lot of observational work and these are all things the unis will look for.

I had no idea I could get into architecture from the Foundation, but a lot of universities highly regard it - my Alevles were not included in my UCAS application (bloody careers advisors...) and I still got 5 universities wanting to see my work from only seeing I was on the Foundation course. Given your target grades you would be the perfect student if you combined your Alevels with this course.

Overall all it's a brilliant pathway to university and the work load is intense after the first term but I would highly recommend it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.