Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Aw yiss. What cha waiting for m8ey put it up
    oi how's S3 going thus far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    We'd love to see it

Harsh is right, but I've dealt with it during IGCSEs and AS-levels. It was particularly bad during AS because my country had some horrible political outbursts and we had school closed for a long time. We didn't really get to cover our subjects as well as we'd like. I remember them squeezing Physics Unit 1, 2, 3 on one day, and then Chemistry 1, 2, 3 on the next day..
    It'll probably be a medium sized piece I'll write every month - but I'll try to pack as much interesting stuff in to it as possible. So I've started with February today and I'll keep working on it in my spare time

Oh my god! That's INSANE! Is Bangladesh as competitive as Pakistan/India with academics?

ReputationRep:
    oi how's S3 going thus far?
    I'll update you in a sec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    It'll probably be a medium sized piece I'll write every month - but I'll try to pack as much interesting stuff in to it as possible. So I've started with February today and I'll keep working on it in my spare time

Oh my god! That's INSANE! Is Bangladesh as competitive as Pakistan/India with academics?
    Are you writing it out before you post it? I bet it's gonna be good...

Well, the kids following the national curriculum are extremely competitive. We have an engineering school called BUET which has a lower acceptance rate than MIT - over tens of thousands of kids give the entry exams but only something like 2000 get selected. You need AAA in A-level Maths, Physics and Chemistry just to sit the test and HSC candidates need a CGPA of 4.0.

On the other end of the spectrum, A-level candidates are seen as delinquents and lethargic individuals, and unfortunately, in a huge number of cases, this stereotype holds true. Only students from the best private/international school are competitive, but that's only because they aim to go places.

(Original post by Zacken)
    I'll update you in a sec.
    ok ok fap in peace!

ReputationRep:
    Are you writing it out before you post it? I bet it's gonna be good...

Well, the kids following the national curriculum are extremely competitive. We have an engineering school called BUET which has a lower acceptance rate than MIT - over tens of thousands of kids give the entry exams but only something like 2000 get selected. You need AAA in A-level Maths, Physics and Chemistry just to sit the test and HSC candidates need a CGPA of 4.0.

On the other end of the spectrum, A-level candidates are seen as delinquents and lethargic individuals, and unfortunately, in a huge number of cases, this stereotype holds true. Only students from the best private/international school are competitive, but that's only because they aim to go places.

ok ok fap in peace!
    Aw thanks man! Yeah I prefer writing things out in word docs first

Well shoot that sounds cutthroat man! You seem to be surviving though so that says something about you..

ReputationRep:
    t'was nothing, really merely a stroke of luck. I'm jealous of the people who sat this!

mate you should treat past papers like mocks. It helps so much because you see how you'd react to question during an actual exam! Time + mark. I'm sure Zacken would agree.

by the way when does your school take mocks?
    I should definitely treat Past papers, like Mocks, I guess I'll definitely do that..

By the way Ayman, when you are learning the new stuff (content) in Chemistry / Physics, Do you solve any questions eg: from Book? etc.

Our school rules are dumb, They make us do Compiled topic-wise past papers (2009-2015), I really feel it shouldn't be the case for Chem/Phy except Maths, which is okay doing topic-wise.

Moreover, our school takes something called "Send-up" exam, 2nd week of february, if you fail those, you're not allowed to appear for the Edexcel exam, through the school (I don't know if this is the case with other school worldwide, but it honestly seems very irrational to me). Does this happen in schools worldwide?

Then mocks in 2nd week of April.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    I should definitely treat Past papers, like Mocks, I guess I'll definitely do that..

By the way Ayman, when you are learning the new stuff (content) in Chemistry / Physics, Do you solve any questions eg: from Book? etc.

Our school rules are dumb, They make us do Compiled topic-wise past papers (2009-2015), I really feel it shouldn't be the case for Chem/Phy except Maths, which is okay doing topic-wise.

Moreover, our school takes something called "Send-up" exam, 2nd week of february, if you fail those, you're not allowed to appear for the Edexcel exam, through the school (I don't know if this is the case with other school worldwide, but it honestly seems very irrational to me). Does this happen in schools worldwide?

Oh nooo that's terrible! you mean they take the exams from your exam board and just make you do them topic by topic?

ReputationRep:
    Oh nooo that's terrible! you mean they take the exams from your exam board and just make you do them topic by topic?
    Exactly, very very unprofessional. They give us like a booklet to solve, of compiled topic-wise questions from the old 2009ish past papers to around 2013-14, and make us do it.

They also give the "Send-up" & Mock exam from the Edexcel past papers, rarely have I seen they've taken questions from any other Exam board.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, very very unprofessional. They give us like a booklet to solve, of compiled topic-wise questions from the old 2009ish past papers to around 2013-14, and make us do it.

They also give the "Send-up" & Mock exam from the Edexcel past papers, rarely have I seen they've taken questions from any other Exam board.
    That's terrible man. I'm so sorry :/ Which school is this if you don't mind (just curious)? I'll pm you mine if that'd make you feel more comfortable Although can't say much more than that haha!

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible man. I'm so sorry :/ Which school is this if you don't mind (just curious)? I'll pm you mine if that'd make you feel more comfortable Although can't say much more than that haha!
    Sure, I'll tell you :

ReputationRep:

I have done a few questions from the Edexcel book for Physics. Our teacher made us do all of the exam zone questions. I use the Facer book's questions for chemistry, extremely helpful book it is. If you do all those you should generally be okay for actual Edexcel questions (speaking only for Chemistry).

As for topic-wise questions - I do not like to do these as it feels like I'm cheating. This is mainly because I will eventually do these questions when solving past papers as mocks.

Some schools do have this system here. Our school threatened a few people if they didn't pull their grades up but they didn't enforce it. Some other schools do take it pretty seriously though and I do agree that it's a very irrational thing, but schools typically tend to want to protect their prestige by not getting bad results.

ReputationRep:
    I have done a few questions from the Edexcel book for Physics. Our teacher made us do all of the exam zone questions. I use the Facer book's questions for chemistry, extremely helpful book it is. If you do all those you should generally be okay for actual Edexcel questions (speaking only for Chemistry).

As for topic-wise questions - I do not like to do these as it feels like I'm cheating. This is mainly because I will eventually do these questions when solving past papers as mocks.

Some schools do have this system here. Our school threatened a few people if they didn't pull their grades up but they didn't enforce it. Some other schools do take it pretty seriously though and I do agree that it's a very irrational thing, but schools typically tend to want to protect their prestige by not getting bad results.
    Same, I don't really would like to do Topic-wise questions of Edexcel's 2009-current), A better thing would be to do the Legacy ones, though I guess from (Physmathtutor), which are considerably easier compared to the Recent papers and would be a good 'warm up' before starting the actual past papers, I guess.

I see, our school makes us even do the Send-up exams of the Units you've appeared in January for...

ReputationRep:
    Same, I don't really would like to do Topic-wise questions of Edexcel's 2009-current), A better thing would be to do the Legacy ones, though I guess from (Physmathtutor), which are considerably easier compared to the Recent papers, I guess.

I see, our school makes us even do the Send-up exams of the Units you've appeared in January for...
    There are good legacy ones on PM tutor! I'm using them for physics at the moment, but plan to soon for chemistry.

Okay, that's just weird... Does your school make you give exams in Jan?

ReputationRep:
    There are good legacy ones on PM tutor! I'm using them for physics at the moment, but plan to soon for chemistry.

Okay, that's just weird... Does your school make you give exams in Jan?
    Yes they do but WITHOUT any exam prep holidays for january exams, I gave 3 AS's and ofcourse, I did about 15 days pre-exam holidays. They were sending my dad, warning emails regarding Attendance LOL.

Apparently, they take school attendance very seriously.

Honestly, attending my school for Physics is useless. Chemistry & Maths departments are very good, but I honestly don't struggle in both, Math & Chem.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do but WITHOUT any exam prep holidays for january exams, I gave 3 AS's and ofcourse, I did about 15 days pre-exam holidays. They were sending my dad, warning emails regarding Attendance LOL.

Apparently, they take school attendance very seriously.

Honestly, attending my school for Physics is useless. Chemistry & Maths departments are very good, but I honestly don't struggle in both, Math & Chem.
    Oh my gosh, that just sound bad... At my school we're not even allowed to take exams in January (some people do so regardless). Are you officially an AS or A2 student in school? My school is also crazy about attendance but they wouldn't knowingly do that xD

It's good that you're strong in chem. I struggled a lot with it at AS but A2 is treating me nicely. How are you feeling about results? They're in like 10 days.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, that just sound bad... At my school we're not even allowed to take exams in January (some people do so regardless). Are you officially an AS or A2 student in school? My school is also crazy about attendance but they wouldn't knowingly do that xD

It's good that you're strong in chem. I struggled a lot with it at AS but A2 is treating me nicely. How are you feeling about results? They're in like 10 days.
    Resitting Physics, panicked in the exam so bad, had tons of preparation but I guess I could've done better.

Maths and chemistry went quite nice.

I'm still in AS officially but I started some A2 stuff

ReputationRep:
    Resitting Physics, panicked in the exam so bad, had tons of preparation but I guess I could've done better.

Maths and chemistry went quite nice.

I'm still in AS officially but I started some A2 stuff
    Physics has very nice scaling! You're resitting without knowing your results?

2 solid As should give you some breathing space for June.

Wow, you're like 6 months ahead from the rest of your class then! I never would have had the courage to do January exams for science back in AS (or even now...) What other exams are you planning to take this summer?

ReputationRep:
    Physics has very nice scaling! You're resitting without knowing your results?

2 solid As should give you some breathing space for June.

Wow, you're like 6 months ahead from the rest of your class then! I never would have had the courage to do January exams for science back in AS (or even now...) What other exams are you planning to take this summer?
    Well, Checked the mark schemes of Physics and it doesn't seem too good.

Waiting eagerly for the results now.

I'm almost finished with M1 and can probably start C3 (and C4 onwards) anytime. FM is also a possibility.

Looked at Chemistry Unit 4 syllabus, looks interesting and not too bad.

I've still sometime till about mid-march for deadline, so I'm not entirely sure.

I'm still open for suggestions.

A few people got into Princeton, Harvard and Dartmouth about a year ago from a village my mother knows. But they were private school students, so to be expect I guess. Refer to Raffles Institution... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    A few people got into Princeton, Harvard and Dartmouth about a year ago from a village my mother knows. But they were private school students, so to be expect I guess. Refer to Raffles Institution... :P
    Ahh Raffles is insane! In Singapore they destroy haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.