The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Student403
Couple days rest is good. You deserve it :yep: And naw - pleasure is all ours :h:

Oooh that seems awfully harsh by your teacher. I wouldn't think that'd be marked wrong... Unlucky with the Unit 4 mistake and yes it does!

With Unit 5, we're just finishing off Nuclear before we head on to space :nutcase: And after that we're finished I believe? With M3 I finished in December :smile: But saving past papers til summer

The only thing I deserve is a jutar bari according to mum after I told her I flunked my mocks...

Spoiler

Mark schemes accept only to 2-3 SF though apparently. :redface:

Astro is interesting, and I imagine it being cute nice for you :h: Leaving oscillations for the end?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
The only thing I deserve is a jutar bari according to mum after I told her I flunked my mocks...

Spoiler

Mark schemes accept only to 2-3 SF though apparently. :redface:

Astro is interesting, and I imagine it being cute nice for you :h: Leaving oscillations for the end?

Doesn't that translate to big shoe? or is the meaning -> shoe beating? :O

Ugh that's a shame.. I hope you understand why it makes sense though :/ Giving exact answers means, as scientists, we are claiming an infinite level of accuracy which isn't true due to our experimental values (I assume that's what you are given). So you must give answers to the minimum SF given in the question, because that is the most accurate your answer could be.

Oh oscillations we started with :colondollar:
Reply 422
Update:

Mocks actually didn't go as badly as I initially thought they did, which is a good sign. They weren't great, of course, by no means good either, but it's a decent start to things if I want to look at things optimistically. Last year I had AACD in my first mocks, but it's a little better now at AABB.

My Physics teacher rechecked a few scripts, so I officially get an A in both Unit 5 and 6! Unit 4 was still a mess, but I guess it's one of those modules I really need to work on.

Chemistry Unit 5 was weird, I still haven't understood my mistakes fully but my teacher really rushed things and didn't get time to show me where I went wrong. Oh well - I guess I have to resort to the mark scheme and examiner's report. :colondollar:

Maths and Further Maths was decent. C34 was 124/125. My C3 teacher cut marks for not showing enough working on one "show that" I think - not cool. :angry: My teacher told me that my FP2 (got the class highest, but still isn't much) and M3 preparation is solid, so that's good news! I got 63/75 and 66/75 respectively, but this would be much higher on an actual paper according to him because he doesn't award method marks - just marks for the correct answer.

I'll be looking through my mistakes and working on them thoroughly this weekend, while also trying to improve on the areas which I'm lacking in. The next set of mocks is rearing close, as are January results. Time to get a cracking! :yep:

I'd like to thank @Zacken and @Student403 for their support. They really make this blog worthwhile. :hugs:
X

We're always happy to help :smile: This is what makes your blog worthwhile - seeing you progress so much! Huge congrats on the C34 and U5/6 Ph. I think tbh your mocks went very well - just 1-2 papers that might need a little work.

Keep it up man
Reply 424
Hey guys, just a small update to my application status - I've been awarded financial aid at McGill :biggrin: I'm hoping I get the major entrance award as well, but it seems unlikely. :redface:
Hey guys, just a small update to my application status - I've been awarded financial aid at McGill :biggrin: I'm hoping I get the major entrance award as well, but it seems unlikely. :redface:

Omg congrats man! That is brilliant news
Reply 426
Omg congrats man! That is brilliant news

Thanks a lot man! :biggrin: It's about 25% of my tuition fees, so it's decent news! I'm hoping the following week is nice :redface:
Thanks a lot man! :biggrin: It's about 25% of my tuition fees, so it's decent news! I'm hoping the following week is nice :redface:

WOW that is a lot of money you have saved

Congrats man!
(edited 8 years ago)
Mockery:

After coming home from school today, I slept for 5 hours straight. Some part of me wanted to escape this pool of mediocrity. My initial targets now seem unachievable and almost laughable when I look at them. The truth struck me like a complete ***** and has humbled me more than anything. This is not self-deprecation - this is coming into terms with the amount I've let myself lag behind. Not being able to meet one's own expectations, satisfy your own standards, that is disappointing.

I got most of my first mock results back and it looks like I have a B overall in both Physics and Chemistry. The B in Chemistry is basically out of pity because I was 2 marks off of it and my teacher told me that she'd give me those two marks. I don't understand where I went wrong exactly, and I still don't even after going through my paper. Here are my marks:

bleh

As you can see, these are basically marginal Bs. I don't know how I ****ed up this badly, but it really has taught me a huge lesson on humility - I can't afford to be overconfident anymore. I have about 2 months till exams and these grades are completely appalling. The worst part is that I even got 64/75 in S2 even after feeling like I aced the exam. Looks like I mucked up an entire sampling question. Let's see how my other papers went; I'm not expecting anything nice.

I have to put in ten times the effort, but even then, I feel like it might not be enough.

I thought of just dropping an advice since I've done chemistry unit 4 this January, well I think your mock grade is fine but you could have done better, for this unit, you'll get across some weird questions so make sure that you understand every mistake you've got and it will get better with time as the style of questions are sometimes repeated!!
For chemistry unit 5, you need to put some effort on it and I think by solving past papers and getting used to the questions, it will be fine and same goes for unit 6, although in my opinion, you did best in unit 4
If you don't mind me asking, what paper did you do for your mock ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 430
Original post by PlayerBB
I thought of just dropping an advice since I've done chemistry unit 4 this January, well I think your mock grade is fine but you could have done better, for this unit, you'll get across some weird questions so make sure that you understand every mistake you've got and it will get better with time as the style of questions are sometimes repeated!!
For chemistry unit 5, you need to put some effort on it and I think by solving past papers and getting used to the questions, it will be fine and same goes for unit 6, although in my opinion, you did best in unit 4
If you don't mind me asking, what paper did you do for your mock ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, Chemistry is the one I need to work on the most - always has been since IGCSEs. :tongue: I actually got 80/90 which was the class highest, but I don't know where I went wrong with Unit 5. I was expecting 60s at the very least, so what I did get was very unexpected. I will have to work through the papers once again to see where I went wrong (or with Unit 5, where I went right..) I hadn't done any past papers for Unit 5, so that's probably what my mistake was! I did a few for Unit 4, but not many because I was confident with it.

I think we did June 2010 for Unit 4 and 6 and probably June 2012 for Unit 5. I'm not sure though.

Thank you for the advice though :smile: I'll probably be working through the papers tonight.
Reply 431
Been a slow weekend in terms of revision, but quite eventful in other aspects! It was a good weekend off but I'll be trying to get back to my schedule tonight. I started off with some complex number practice, but then did a mock.

I woke up in the morning and finished off the S3 exercise I was on.

FP2 June 2010:
Raw marks: 70/75
UMS: 94
Time left: 30 mins

Decent mark considering how much this paper put me off - especially Q5. It was disgusting to work through and I knew I made a mistake, but I didn't bother checking through it, ugh. Must not get complacent like that in the real thing. nice paper otherwise - I enjoyed the DEs, the algebra question and the complex number questions, but I cut a mark from the absolute last part of Q8 just for an ugly sketch. I also spent too much time on Q3 and 5 - had to draw a sketch for Q3 but I still got the range wrong. :angry:

Tonight's objectives:

Work through capacitor and electromagnetism questions

Skim through all my Physics mock papers

Work through my Chemistry Unit 4 and Unit 6 mocks to see what mistakes I've made

(edited 8 years ago)
Been a slow weekend in terms of revision, but quite eventful in other aspects! It was a good weekend off but I'll be trying to get back to my schedule tonight. I started off with some complex number practice, but then did a mock.

FP2 June 2010:

Decent mark considering how much this paper put me off - especially Q5. It was disgusting to work through and I knew I made a mistake, but I didn't bother checking through it, ugh. Must not get complacent like that in the real thing. nice paper otherwise - I enjoyed the DEs, the algebra question and the complex number questions, but I cut a mark from the absolute last part of Q8 just for an ugly sketch. I also spent too much time on Q3 and 5 - had to draw a sketch for Q3 but I still got the range wrong. :angry:

Tonight's objectives:

Work through my Chemistry Unit 4 and Unit 6 mocks to see what mistakes I've made

Daaaamn nice going! I love how you get that even when you mark yourself harshly.. Very promising
Been a slow weekend in terms of revision, but quite eventful in other aspects!

Ooh, like what? :biggrin:

It was a good weekend off but I'll be trying to get back to my schedule tonight. I started off with some complex number practice, but then did a mock.

Ooh, how's S3 going?

FP2 June 2010:

Tonight's objectives:

That's not bad at all! 94 UMS is pretty darn good. Sounds like a hard paper as well! :yep:

Sounds like a busy night, good luck!
Reply 434
Original post by Zacken
Ooh, like what? :biggrin:

I went to an art expedition and a concert yesterday, explored the cultural side of me. :tongue: I'll upload a few pictures from my phone a little later to show you guys how nice the place was! All in all, a decent weekend off but it's almost March and I need to focus. :redface:

Ooh, how's S3 going?

Decent! Goodness of fit is nice, but the testing a continuous distribution bit looks tedious. I don't know if I'll attempt it tonight or not. I might if I'm not tired. How far have you gotten? Gotten to start contingency tables yet?

That's not bad at all! 94 UMS is pretty darn good. Sounds like a hard paper as well! :yep:

Sounds like a busy night, good luck!

Haven't you done this one before? If not, get to it soon! It wasn't hard, some questions were annoying. It's surprising to see how easy FP2 is turning out to be. I'm expecting our paper to be a monster for some reason. :frown:

Daaaamn nice going! I love how you get that even when you mark yourself harshly.. Very promising

Thanks dude! I'm surprised that Zack Attack was right when he said I'd be confident with FP2 around late-Feb. Looking like quite a nice module, especially with DEs! :biggrin: FP3 will still need tremendous work. :redface:
I went to an art expedition and a concert yesterday, explored the cultural side of me. :tongue: I'll upload a few pictures from my phone a little later to show you guys how nice the place was! All in all, a decent weekend off but it's almost March and I need to focus. :redface:

Decent! Goodness of fit is nice, but the testing a continuous distribution bit looks tedious. I don't know if I'll attempt it tonight or not. I might if I'm not tired. How far have you gotten? Gotten to start contingency tables yet?

Haven't you done this one before? If not, get to it soon! It wasn't hard, some questions were annoying. It's surprising to see how easy FP2 is turning out to be. I'm expecting our paper to be a monster for some reason. :frown:

Thanks dude! I'm surprised that Zack Attack was right when he said I'd be confident with FP2 around late-Feb. Looking like quite a nice module, especially with DEs! :biggrin: FP3 will still need tremendous work. :redface:

I agree - Moved on to Power Series today and I still feel like I'm going strong. FP3 though..

Damn, that sounds awesome. Definitely upload pictures. :biggrin:
Oh shush you, there's plenty of time left before exams, take things slow else you'll burn out.

Definitely, I feel the same, I worked through all 6 questions on cont. dists and got them all wrong in one way or another. Contingency tables are really easy, though. Think I'm done with S3, actually. I might do a paper tonight.

Oh, this is FP2. I think I misread it as FP3. I may have done this one, yeah. I'll check and tell you in a sec.
Good luck, i really like your blog! :smile:
Reply 438
I agree - Moved on to Power Series today and I still feel like I'm going strong. FP3 though..

You guys seem to be progressing nicely. As long as you don't forget the DE and complex number bits you'll be alright! I'm still struggling with conics sections - only slightly better after doing those review exercises xD everything else is looking alright though! Thank god we're doing an extra module - that 20 UMS in FP3 won't look good on my results sheet. :colondollar:
Reply 439
Original post by Zacken
Damn, that sounds awesome. Definitely upload pictures. :biggrin:
Oh shush you, there's plenty of time left before exams, take things slow else you'll burn out.

Definitely, I feel the same, I worked through all 6 questions on cont. dists and got them all wrong in one way or another. Contingency tables are really easy, though. Think I'm done with S3, actually. I might do a paper tonight.

Oh, this is FP2. I think I misread it as FP3. I may have done this one, yeah. I'll check and tell you in a sec.

You're right - but I'm gonna be forced to burn out regardless because I have mocks in 2 weeks!

Wait, you finished chapter 5 as well?! Wow, you moved fast! Please try a paper and tell me how it goes - if it's really as easy as they make it out to be. I'll look over some cont. stuff and then try finishing off GoF.

I think you got full raw in it! Couldn't have been too bad. I'm holding off FP3 for a while until I can get all those tricky bits solid. I'll be redoing that June 2009 paper once again tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending