(Original post by Student403)
    It's a deal :yep:
    great job on your new community btw! loving the music that's being posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    great job on your new community btw! loving the music that's being posted
    Aw thank you! ravioli gets the thread credit though

I absolutely love when I find people who share my taste

Post some of your current listenings on this thread from time to time if you like! It feels great to share music with others - especially when you know they love the same artists (Bonobo and the gang)

ReputationRep:
    I've been procrastinating from writing this blog post in a while, but I'll start off by saying I finished my second proper STEP question a few days back It's such a satisfying feeling to actually do one of those problems successfully. Props to Zacken for helping me out with it! :five:

Attachment 511351

Update!
    I JUST HAD THIS ALL TO MYSELF TONIGHT
    Attachment 511351511359

Slightly bigger update
    It hadn't hit me until this morning until I got a confirmation email, giving me my own university email address and promoting me to join their portal, that I am now officially a McGill fresher. I hadn't seen this coming, but something just pushed me to accept my offer all of a sudden. I'll be there in less than 5 months from now in this beautiful campus in the heart of Montreal:

Really does seem too good to be true for me after everything. I'm elated to say the least; nothing can sway me from my goals, the reason why I started this blog. Here's to the next 4 years! Hoping Zain can teach me some French

Thank you guys for all your support thus far, Student403 and Zacken. :hugs:

Hey congrats on the place,

Quick question, How long was the wait between the time where Minerva said Admitted and the time where you got the email saying you officially got the offer and could go and accept it?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, can you explain this McGill thing to me? You've been accepted meaning that you don't need to care about your grades anymore and you're going there regardless of anything, or do you still need to maintain a reasonable grade or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    By the way, can you explain this McGill thing to me? You've been accepted meaning that you don't need to care about your grades anymore and you're going there regardless of anything, or do you still need to maintain a reasonable grade or something?
    From what I make of it, 1 subject dropping to a B is okay, but more than that is not. This is especially true if I'm to be awarded financial aid or a scholarship, in which case only 4 As or equiv at A-level makes you a valid recipient. It's still a conditional offer, but not like the ones unis in the UK give you.

This offer of admission remains valid provided you write the examinations for which you have registeredand are expected to maintain your current level of academic achievement.
    The latter part is a little more serious than I initially thought and they can rescind the offer if I mess up. The worst part, however, is not exactly knowing where the cut-off point is - they've just told us that we can't drop our averages by more than 5%, but A-levels don't work in percentages. I've had to ask their admissions tutor and the initial example I've stated is what she told me.

(Original post by coffee125)
    Hey congrats on the place,

Quick question, How long was the wait between the time where Minerva said Admitted and the time where you got the email saying you officially got the offer and could go and accept it?
    I slept through it :laugh: I checked my email in the morning saying "a decision has been made on your application" so it's just like UCAS in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    From what I make of it, 1 subject dropping to a B is okay, but more than that is not. This is especially true if I'm to be awarded financial aid or a scholarship, in which case only 4 As or equiv at A-level makes you a valid recipient. It's still a conditional offer, but not like the ones unis in the UK give you.

The latter part is a little more serious than I initially thought and they can rescind the offer if I mess up. The worst part, however, is not exactly knowing where the cut-off point is - they've just told us that we can't drop our averages by more than 5%, but A-levels don't work in percentages. I've had to ask their admissions tutor and the initial example I've stated is what she told me.

I slept through it :laugh: I checked my email in the morning saying "a decision has been made on your application" so it's just like UCAS in that sense.
    Grats m8 !!! Btw have u been to montreal ? And did u apply to the UK ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Grats m8 !!! Btw have u been to montreal ? And did u apply to the UK ?
    I've never even been to North America :laugh: I applied to Bath, Uni of Manchester, Southampton, UCL and Imperial, but I haven't heard back from the last two. The tuition fees didn't appeal to me, so it was a secondary choice.

ReputationRep:

I've heard different things. Someone from my school last year predicted a mixture of As and A*s went to Berkeley having received that kind of typical offer, but only attaining Bs.

My impression is that they mean "don't drop from your AS performance", which of course is no more than As and so I thought the minimum would be Bs.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Ayman on your McGill offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard different things. Someone from my school last year predicted a mixture of As and A*s went to Berkeley having received that kind of typical offer, but only attaining Bs.

My impression is that they mean "don't drop from your AS performance", which of course is no more than As and so I thought the minimum would be Bs.
    That's what I thought too, I'm guessing AAAB would be as far as they would tolerate, but I've seen people go with way worse grades because their SAT or II scores backed them up. Unfortunately, I don't really have that to back me up since I didn't take those exams. :laugh:

(Original post by PlayerBB)
    Congrats Ayman on your McGill offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot BB, but it's not an offer - I'm kinda going.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Unit 5 June 2010
    Marks attained: 73/90
    UMS: 108 A*

I redid this paper after initially giving up on it. I came back after a ton of revision. Cut a lot of marks here and there, but I'm happy with my approach to the redox and TM chemistry. Organic needs work, it's not like I suck conceptually, the questions are just very difficult to interpret, especially trying to draw out SN1 mechanisms on a disgusting aromatic compound with 3 functional groups, ugh. Need to look through more past papers, but I feel like I'm improving slightly.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought too, I'm guessing AAAB would be as far as they would tolerate, but I've seen people go with way worse grades because their SAT or II scores backed them up. Unfortunately, I don't really have that to back me up since I didn't take those exams. :laugh:

Makes sense! I wonder if my SATI/II scores would compensate :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense! I wonder if my SATI/II scores would compensate :unsure:
    What did you get? I have a friend who got 790 in both bio and chem. He's the one who got 80% at Vanderbilt.

I also think Canadian universities care a bit more about your A-levels than US ones do, just an assumption. Will you get credits for doing certain A-levels? I think I can start a few classes from year 2 and I'll be officially termed as "U1".

ReputationRep:
    What did you get? I have a friend who got 790 in both bio and chem. He's the one who got 80% at Vanderbilt.

I also think Canadian universities care a bit more about your A-levels than US ones do, just an assumption. Will you get credits for doing certain A-levels? I think I can start a few classes from year 2 and I'll be officially termed as "U1".
    Whoa that's awesome! I'll PM you as I don't like saying publicly xD

I agree - I emailed Georgia Tech and they said I'd get credit for Maths, Further maths and Physics :woo: But holy cow - saving an entire year is fab!

ReputationRep:

Well that's even better :bumps:

ReputationRep:
    Loving Bonobo a lot now!

Btw he reminds me of another guy who makes similar alternative music. Name's "The Flashbulb"

Here's one of the albums

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...E6C0BCECE2B23B

ReputationRep:
    Loving Bonobo a lot now!

Btw he reminds me of another guy who makes similar alternative music. Name's "The Flashbulb"

Here's one of the albums

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...E6C0BCECE2B23B
    Phenomenal music!

These artists are so underrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    Phenomenal music!

These artists are so underrated
    Cheers! I agree Which music do you like?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Btw crazy few days we've been having here, huh? First insane downpour, then a tiger and bovine or whatever running loose on the highway :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! I agree Which music do you like?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Btw crazy few days we've been having here, huh? First insane downpour, then a tiger and bovine or whatever running loose on the highway :rofl:
    Not into music that much tbh, but usually listen to instrumental and chill music.. Hip hop sometimes rarely.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Haha yes, I actually enjoy rain (contradicting to the west who actually hates it) considering we barely have it over here. I actually become slightly depressed due to the intense amount of heat in summer over here.

That tiger man, I saw a video and it seems like, the tiger fell off the back from a truck/van container, quite glad no car hit the tiger

Hopefully the law is enforced and the people who are keeping these type of wild animals are punished.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.