The Student Room Group

good kid, maad city - a small-town kid's A-level journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan

Merci beaucoup, mon ami. :biggrin: Do that FP2 paper tonight, it had a tricky part at the very end!

Damn, opened up the paper and got into mock mood. Turns out I've already done it as a mock. :lol:
Reply 681
Original post by Zacken
Damn, opened up the paper and got into mock mood. Turns out I've already done it as a mock. :lol:

Oooh, how did you end up doing the last one?

By the way, can you help me with this integral? It's simple enough, but I've been marked wrong on my FP3 mock.
dx8x2+25\displaystyle \int \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{8x^{2}+ 25}

Spoiler

By the way, can you help me with this integral? It's simple enough, but I've been marked wrong on my FP3 mock.

Spoiler

just done it and got the same :dontknow: pulled out 1/8 and used standard arctan formula right?

Spoiler

That's correct. :yep:
Reply 684
Original post by DylanJ42
just done it and got the same :dontknow: pulled out 1/8 and used standard arctan formula right?

yep, it was standard. Wonder why I lost so many marks. :angry:

Original post by Zacken
That's correct. :yep:

I have another [silly] question - if I have a vector (01414)\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ -14 \\ -14 \end{pmatrix} and I want to consider it to be the normal vector of a plane, I can take out a factor of 14. However, can I also take out a factor of 1-1 to make it n=(011)\displaystyle \mathrm{n} = \begin{pmatrix} 0\\ 1\\ 1 \end{pmatrix}? It changes the direction of the vector, but it would still work, right?

EDIT: can't understand why my matrices aren't closing.

EDIT - 2: Thanks Zacken! :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
but it would still work, right?

Yeah, you can, makes it prettier - that's what I do :yep:
[video="youtube;wdpDtAjZuWQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdpDtAjZuWQ[/video]

If you need some revision music :smile:

Helping me power through FP2/3 for tomorrow!

EDIT: can't understand why my matrices aren't closing.

Because you're doing \begin{pmatrix} and \end{matrix} - see the missing p?
Reply 688
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, you can, makes it prettier - that's what I do :yep:

Ah, it does make sense mathematically because it's still perpendicular to the plane. Just in the opposite direction.

Original post by Zacken
Because you're doing \begin{pmatrix} and \end{matrix} - see the missing p?

Oh, thank you! I knew I was missing something :redface:

Original post by Student403

If you need some revision music :smile:

Helping me power through FP2/3 for tomorrow!

I have FP3 tomorrow as well! I'm panicking because Chem 5 and FP3 are the worst papers - especially when they're together. Hoping all goes well because I don't have a very balanced revision schedule and it's already 11 pm. :colondollar: How come I haven't heard this album before? :facepalm:
Ah, it does make sense mathematically because it's still perpendicular to the plane. Just in the opposite direction.

Oh, thank you! I knew I was missing something :redface:

I have FP3 tomorrow as well! I'm panicking because Chem 5 and FP3 are the worst papers - especially when they're together. Hoping all goes well because I don't have a very balanced revision schedule and it's already 11 pm. :colondollar: How come I haven't heard this album before? :facepalm:

Aww my friend has a similar combination - just take it one step

Spoiler

at a time and keep calm - you'll be alright :smile: I have certainly biased my revision too - I need to revisit everything!

Lovely album :love: SO peaceful
Reply 690
Original post by PlayerBB
Wow, you did really good I guess because the paper was simple but lengthy, I have brought the paper, and my marks were primarily lost because of the 11th marker graph question which I hadn't have the chance to solve although by looking at the paper, it was a really easy one! Also they have took from me a lot of marks because of my messy handwriting on the NMR question which I don't blame them for haha but at least I have learned from the mistakes lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's really good that you got the paper back to learn from your mistakes. Unit 4 is generally a lengthy paper (this goes for Biology as well from what I hear) but the content isn't too bad! I find it fun because it's mostly mathematical, even more than Physics Unit 4. Which graph do you mean, though? The handwriting bit is what I call "panic mode" - happened twice in my life so far :colondollar: Once during IGCSE FPM and this January during FP1. I really struggle to keep my calm when I'm not able to do something the first time. I need to work on that.

by the way you should really consider retaking C34 - it's only a matter of 2 marks!
it's really good that you got the paper back to learn from your mistakes. Unit 4 is generally a lengthy paper (this goes for Biology as well from what I hear) but the content isn't too bad! I find it fun because it's mostly mathematical, even more than Physics Unit 4. Which graph do you mean, though? The handwriting bit is what I call "panic mode" - happened twice in my life so far :colondollar: Once during IGCSE FPM and this January during FP1. I really struggle to keep my calm when I'm not able to do something the first time. I need to work on that.

by the way you should really consider retaking C34 - it's only a matter of 2 marks!

Yeah unit 4 is mostly mathematical but I wish the same goes for biology unit 4! There was a question asking to draw a graph and then show that that the reaction is first order....
For me, I only experienced the panic mode twice in my life, during chemistry unit 4, but I couldn't control it, I was really stressed out to finish the exam and this panic mode was full of emotions afterwards I guess! The second one was during my C34 exam, I got stuck on a 3 marker question, about showing that it ends with 20-T/sth I guess however I was able to control it, it wasn't working with using integration so I tried differential equation method and it worked

The problem is, I am so late in biology like I should by now have finished unit 5 but I am still in the first topic so I am afraid that I wouldn't have time to study C34 again, that's why I am praying remarking would work

Sorry for the lengthy reply :redface:pps:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 692
Original post by PlayerBB
Yeah unit 4 is mostly mathematical but I wish the same goes for biology unit 4! There was a question asking to draw a graph and then show that that the reaction is first order....
For me, I only experienced the panic mode twice in my life, during chemistry unit 4, but I couldn't control it, I was really stressed out to finish the exam and this panic mode was full of emotions afterwards I guess! The second one was during my C34 exam, I got stuck on a 3 marker question, about showing that it ends with 20-T/sth I guess however I was able to control it, it wasn't working with using integration so I tried differential equation method and it worked

The problem is, I am so late in biology like I should by now have finished unit 5 but I am still in the first topic so I am afraid that I wouldn't have time to study C34 again, that's why I am praying remarking would work

Sorry for the lengthy reply :redface:pps:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember that question actually - it wasn't working for me either, it's probably because my graph wasn't very accurate. The mark scheme however wanted us to say "approximately constant" or something of the sort - how evil... I give my M3 mocks along with my bio friends so I see what they go through. I really liked the subject but I'm glad I didn't take it till A2 - would have ended up with a B or worse :laugh:

This C34 was pretty evil with boundaries though - you got 90% but the A* was at 92%. One of my friends was really disappointed with his mark even though he had an A*. Ah, fair enough - I guess once the scientific article comes out you'll have a lot of work cut out for you. Tell you what, my bio teacher makes a lot of resources to give to his students once he gets the article. Would you like for me to send them to you if I can get my hands on them?

It's not a problem!

@Student403 how was your FP23 mock? My FP3 was surprisingly good! :biggrin:
I remember that question actually - it wasn't working for me either, it's probably because my graph wasn't very accurate. The mark scheme however wanted us to say "approximately constant" or something of the sort - how evil... I give my M3 mocks along with my bio friends so I see what they go through. I really liked the subject but I'm glad I didn't take it till A2 - would have ended up with a B or worse :laugh:

This C34 was pretty evil with boundaries though - you got 90% but the A* was at 92%. One of my friends was really disappointed with his mark even though he had an A*. Ah, fair enough - I guess once the scientific article comes out you'll have a lot of work cut out for you. Tell you what, my bio teacher makes a lot of resources to give to his students once he gets the article. Would you like for me to send them to you if I can get my hands on them?

It's not a problem!

Nice going man! My FP2 was crap but FP3 was decent ;D
Reply 694
Nice going man! My FP2 was crap but FP3 was decent ;D

Wow, it's usually the other way around for most people :tongue: What was it - DEs or loci?
Wow, it's usually the other way around for most people :tongue: What was it - DEs or loci?

I know lol - but everyone thought the same :dontknow:

DEs were all good.. It was a stupid loci question xD

It's not a problem!

Yes, it's a really evil question, I wouldn't have thought it was approximately constant like I thought as well my graph wasn't accurate! ......It's great that you haven't taken it to A2, like the subject is interesting but there so much content and so many weird words to memorize :smile:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the grade boundaries would be that high!!! I guess the worst feeling is to be off a grade by a few marks like you would wish to go back to exam time and fix it haha........Maybe, he was expecting full ums but for those evil grade boundaries, he shouldn't be disappointed at all i guess.

I would really appreciate that Ayman, thank you so much! Do you know whether the scientific article is sent to the coordinator at school or I should request it from the british council, because I have asked the coordinator of our school multiple times and he has no clue :banghead:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's quiet.. Too quiet :colonhash: :ninja:
Reply 698
It's quiet.. Too quiet :colonhash: :ninja:

Haha, I've just finished week #1 of mocks, so I'll update that tonight :tongue:

I've started looking through the study permit process and it looks like such a huge pain :redface:
Haha, I've just finished week #1 of mocks, so I'll update that tonight :tongue:

I've started looking through the study permit process and it looks like such a huge pain :redface:

Oh sweeeet! My last mock S2/M2 is tomorrow morning. So cramming for that as we speak :lol: M2's alright. Just bloody stats!

Yeah dude all my friends going to North America are going through hell with all the financial aid stuff. I imagine it won't be too much fun with the visa stuff either :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending