The Student Room Group

How does Crooks's past link to society and discrimination?

I've got a presentation and I need to introduce a quote, say the quote and then say how it links to his past and society. I have already got the quote and few points about it but I don't know how to put it all together.

Quotation: The white kids come to play at our place, an' sometimes I went to play with them, and some of them was pretty nice. My 'ol man didn't like that. I never knew why he didn't like that. But now I know.

- didn't understand why his father didn't want him playing with others. this shows a sign of innocence as kids don't really know what's actually happening in society. also shows that society is creating a barrier between two racial groups
- quote is undoubtedly a product of racial issues
- phrase " i know" speaks about crooks's adult experience. it also states that there's not a lot to the quote bu there's a deep meaning behind it.

can some help and try give some few pointers. thanks
The white kids come to play at our place, an' sometimes I went to play with them, and some of them was pretty nice. My 'ol man didn't like that. I never knew why he didn't like that. But now I know.

'ol and 'an are both uses of social dialect, which suggest Crooks was brought up in a place where he was relaxed enough to be informal (he doesn't speak in standard English) and so it could suggest that the rules set for him weren't strict.

Focusing on 'my' in 'my 'ol man' could suggest Crooks really respects his fathers word as he is addressing his father in a laid-back manner and addressing him as 'my' as though he respects him and acknowledges him.

Other than that, I think you've covered pretty much everything, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by caitlinford3
The white kids come to play at our place, an' sometimes I went to play with them, and some of them was pretty nice. My 'ol man didn't like that. I never knew why he didn't like that. But now I know.

'ol and 'an are both uses of social dialect, which suggest Crooks was brought up in a place where he was relaxed enough to be informal (he doesn't speak in standard English) and so it could suggest that the rules set for him weren't strict.

Focusing on 'my' in 'my 'ol man' could suggest Crooks really respects his fathers word as he is addressing his father in a laid-back manner and addressing him as 'my' as though he respects him and acknowledges him.

Other than that, I think you've covered pretty much everything, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest