Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting into Oxford Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I had 2A*s, 5A's and a B in my O levels and I'm now in the first year of college. I wanted to know what grades to be getting to apply to Oxford or Cambridge in A levels? And are these grades okay do you think?? I am also in extra curriculars. I was head girl for 4 consecutive years and was the main speaker of our school for as long as I remember.. Pleaseee helppp 😞😊

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually do O-levels, or GCSEs? What course do you want to apply for? What subjects are you doing at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Genuine question, do people still do o levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Genuine question, do people still do o levels?
    Not in the UK but in parts of the Commonwealth they are still run by CIE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by null_geodesic)
    Not in the UK but in parts of the Commonwealth they are still run by CIE.
    Ah right thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zainab Baber)
    So I had 2A*s, 5A's and a B in my O levels and I'm now in the first year of college. I wanted to know what grades to be getting to apply to Oxford or Cambridge in A levels? And are these grades okay do you think?? I am also in extra curriculars. I was head girl for 4 consecutive years and was the main speaker of our school for as long as I remember.. Pleaseee helppp 😞😊
    I think it depends on which course. For something like medicine, you might be at a slight disadvantage as the average number of A*s at gcse is something like 9.3 for successful applicants
    There is a section, however, where they will take in account any special circumstances as to your GCSE grades and they will compare them to the average amount of A*s kids at your school achieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomicjellyfish)
    I think it depends on which course. For something like medicine, you might be at a slight disadvantage as the average number of A*s at gcse is something like 9.3 for successful applicants
    There is a section, however, where they will take in account any special circumstances as to your GCSE grades and they will compare them to the average amount of A*s kids at your school achieve
    Thanks for the reply )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Did you actually do O-levels, or GCSEs? What course do you want to apply for? What subjects are you doing at A-level?
    I gave the O levels . I want to apply for medicine or something related to biology. At the moment I'm taking Biolgy, Physics and chemistry for my A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zainab Baber)
    I gave the O levels . I want to apply for medicine or something related to biology. At the moment I'm taking Biolgy, Physics and chemistry for my A levels.
    I presume you are an international applicant. In that case I'm afraid that you would have a very low chance of getting an offer (presuming that O-levels are about as hard as GCSEs). Oxford place a lot of weight on GCSEs, and 2 A*'s is considerably worse than most applicants. Most applicants will have far more. For medicine, the situation is even worse because most applicants are stronger, and there are government quotas for international medical students.

You have a marginally higher (but still very low) chance of getting into Cambridge, as they place less weight on your GCSEs. However, the fact that you are an international applicant who is only taking 3 A-levels when combined with your poor (by Oxbridge standards) GCSEs still puts you at a very major disadvantage.

Sorry not to be more encouraging. There's nothing to stop you applying, but your chances of success are very small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I presume you are an international applicant. In that case I'm afraid that you would have a very low chance of getting an offer (presuming that O-levels are about as hard as GCSEs). Oxford place a lot of weight on GCSEs, and 2 A*'s is considerably worse than most applicants. Most applicants will have far more. For medicine, the situation is even worse because most applicants are stronger, and there are government quotas for international medical students.

You have a marginally higher (but still very low) chance of getting into Cambridge, as they place less weight on your GCSEs. However, the fact that you are an international applicant who is only taking 3 A-levels when combined with your poor (by Oxbridge standards) GCSEs still puts you at a very major disadvantage.

Sorry not to be more encouraging. There's nothing to stop you applying, but your chances of success are very small.
    I'm a British citizen. I'm doing well in my a levels right now. I had an A* in my recent test and am continuing to try hard. I'm very determined . I didn't really put much effort in my o levels ( because at the times didn't really know it mattered a lot). And O levels in tougher than GCSEs.
    But thanks anyway. ☺️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.