Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depressed Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm depressed. I think more funding should go into research on my depression...not enough funding man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    I'm depressed. I think more funding should go into research on my depression...not enough funding man
    Doctors can prescribe you with drugs (I think) for those suffering depression? You can fight through your depression by doing something that makes you opposite from depressed however if this is severe then you should go see a Psychologist or Doctor who are willing to help and the funding may be worth it!

(Original post by LemonadeAspire)
    Doctors can prescribe you with drugs (I think) for those suffering depression? You can fight through your depression by doing something that makes you opposite from depressed however if this is severe then you should go see a Psychologist or Doctor who are willing to help and the funding may be worth it!
    There is no need to reach for drugs. You don't know what's the issue and recommending this can lead to even worse outcome.

/@nohomo

Make sure you

- eat healthy food
    - drink plenty of water
    - exercise
    - taking enough rest

Also, you need to know exactly what makes you feel that way, speak to someone close if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    There is no need to reach for drugs. You don't know what's the issue and recommending this can lead to even worse outcome.

/@nohomo

Make sure you

- eat healthy food
    - drink plenty of water
    - exercise
    - taking enough rest

Also, you need to know exactly what makes you feel that way, speak to someone close if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not recommending but doctors prescribe these, it's a suggestion! I'm just listing.. Eating healthy food wouldn't make someone suffering from depression any better though it would benefit their health.. It's best if they see a Doctor or Psychologist who will be willing to help, even without the drugs. There are many ways of solving it, probably surrounding yourself with people who lighten your mood so you keep your mind of anything making you depressed. Exercise is good because its keeping you busy and not giving you that mentality.. there are so many ways! Drugs is just the quickest but can lead to being addicted to it and other outcomes..

I'm not recommending but doctors prescribe these, it's a suggestion! I'm just listing.. Eating healthy food wouldn't make someone suffering from depression any better though it would benefit their health.. It's best if they see a Doctor or Psychologist who will be willing to help, even without the drugs. There are many ways of solving it, probably surrounding yourself with people who lighten your mood so you keep your mind of anything making you depressed. Exercise is good because its keeping you busy and not giving you that mentality.. there are so many ways! Drugs is just the quickest but can lead to being addicted to it and other outcomes..
    Yeah, it's a suggestion but still whenever you mention something it's getting inside your head and you can think of it as an alternative for later.

Are you sure about the water bit?

Many articles do mention about this. For instance here

"Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is often overlooked, but our body is made up of 95 percent water. When it does not have enough we often feel lethargic, grumpy, and get headaches. We also tend to mistake hunger for thirst, so before getting that bag of chips out drink a glass or two of water. Soda, lemonade or flavored drinks do not count as water."

Or check this website

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/d...er-really.html

Yes, speaking to doctor can help. Sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's a suggestion but still whenever you mention something it's getting inside your head and you can think of it as an alternative for later.

Are you sure about the water bit?

Many articles do mention about this. For instance here

"Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is often overlooked, but our body is made up of 95 percent water. When it does not have enough we often feel lethargic, grumpy, and get headaches. We also tend to mistake hunger for thirst, so before getting that bag of chips out drink a glass or two of water. Soda, lemonade or flavored drinks do not count as water."

Or check this website

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/d...er-really.html

Yes, speaking to doctor can help. Sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't disagree about "drink plenty of water" because I knew for a fact drinking is great but not so sure about EATING healthy.. it's good for your own health and body but not so much on depression. Speaking to doctors and Psychologist gives a great insight on where to start and what to fix. I was just stating quick suggestions that popped in my head first. Drugs being the first because I know that they are quick and simple for depression however they can lead to other negative outcomes. Drugs such as Antidepressants: SSRIs are one as this increases the level of serotonin which regulates mood and anxiety. As is Antidepressants: tricyclics but this is mostly used for OCD rather than depression. I'm just saying.. drugs aren't the best way but many people do take them to treat depression but I agree there are other possible ways though these are longer so the best advice is to talk to professional people who are likely to help!

I didn't disagree about "drink plenty of water" because I knew for a fact drinking is great but not so sure about EATING healthy.. it's good for your own health and body but not so much on depression. Speaking to doctors and Psychologist gives a great insight on where to start and what to fix. I was just stating quick suggestions that popped in my head first. Drugs being the first because I know that they are quick and simple for depression however they can lead to other negative outcomes. Drugs such as Antidepressants: SSRIs are one as this increases the level of serotonin which regulates mood and anxiety. As is Antidepressants: tricyclics but this is mostly used for OCD rather than depression. I'm just saying.. drugs aren't the best way but many people do take them to treat depression but I agree there are other possible ways though these are longer so the best advice is to talk to professional people who are likely to help!
    That's what happens when I skim through. Just been waiting for your response because im too lazy to change the text.

But food affects your mind as well. Go online to check some articles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't think eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and exercising will hurt! In fact I am an advocate of it, having used a routine involving all those to lift myself out of depression a number of times. The routine gave me something to focus on and some purpose in my life, and I think it helped me clear my head and control my moods a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    That's what happens when I skim through. Just been waiting for your response because im to lazy to change the text.

But food affects your mind too. Go online to check some articles

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What text?

What text?
    My text about drinking water

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathaddict)
    Definitely don't think eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and exercising will hurt! In fact I am an advocate of it, having used a routine involving all those to lift myself out of depression a number of times. The routine gave me something to focus on and some purpose in my life, and I think it helped me clear my head and control my moods a lot better.
    I thought eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and exercising was extremely bad for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasonM)
    I thought eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and exercising was extremely bad for you?
    No! It's very, very good for you!:unimpressed:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's why I just polished off a whole load of pancakes stuffed with nutella and ice cream! :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathaddict)
    No! It's very, very good for you!:unimpressed:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That's why I just polished off a whole load of pancakes stuffed with nutella and ice cream! :sogood:
    Hahaha

I know what you meant though and i'll second that, just eating good etc can make a world of difference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.