Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BEng and master or MEng and master in 5 years ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I am an international student and I have some questions regarding the BEng program in Mechanical engineering at Surrey.
    If I do a BEng course is it possible to switch to the MEng program ? If so when can I do it and what are the criterias ?What is better between a MEng course + 1 year of a master or a BEng + 2 years of a master ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acc_moz)
    Hi everyone I am an international student and I have some questions regarding the BEng program in Mechanical engineering at Surrey.
    If I do a BEng course is it possible to switch to the MEng program ? If so when can I do it and what are the criterias ?What is better between a MEng course + 1 year of a master or a BEng + 2 years of a master ?
    1. Depends on the university but generally they probably would let you assuming you have the right grades and let them know early enough
    2. You are aware that the MEng degree is an integrated Masters degree? Why would you do a second Masters degree on top of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    1. Depends on the university but generally they probably would let you assuming you have the right grades and let them know early enough
    2. You are aware that the MEng degree is an integrated Masters degree? Why would you do a second Masters degree on top of that?
    Thank you for your answer
    Yes I know !
    But in france engineering studies are in 5 years.
    So if I do 5 years of study I will have a better diploma.
    But what do u think is better between BEng + 2 years of master and MEng + 1 year of master ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acc_moz)
    Thank you for your answer
    Yes I know !
    But in france engineering studies are in 5 years.
    So if I do 5 years of study I will have a better diploma.
    But what do u think is better between BEng + 2 years of master and MEng + 1 year of master ?
    Are you sure this is true? I don't think Engineers in the UK have any problems getting employed 'just' with a MSci - I wasn't even aware that there are two year Masters degree that are worth double a one year Masters degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Are you sure this is true? I don't think Engineers in the UK have any problems getting employed 'just' with a MSci - I wasn't even aware that there are two year Masters degree that are worth double a one year Masters degree...
    Yes but i want to go back to france
    In france you have a diploma which is called a 'master' and you get it in 2 or 3 years after a prep school or a bachelor (in both case you do five years of study)
    I think that a MEng program in england is like a french master in france but in england courses are more specialized so i guess you have less studies for getting the same diploma
    I only want to make 5 years of study so i will have studied for 5 years as other french engineers but i will have one more diploma
    So what do you think is better ? 😁

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.