Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STEP Blog of Virgin Duke Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    hi
    reported

ReputationRep:
    Update: I finished a mock yesterday and also have tried STEP 3 1998. I am still not sure whether to write STEP 3 or not as I find it extremely difficult.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 2 2003 90/120 Grade 1
    Q1,20/20Q2 20/20Q8 17/20Q9 20/20Q11 8/20Q6 5/20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Update: I finished a mock yesterday and also have tried STEP 3 1998. I am still not sure whether to write STEP 3 or not as I find it extremely difficult.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 2 2003 90/120 Grade 1
    Q1,20/20Q2 20/20Q8 17/20Q9 20/20Q11 8/20Q6 5/20
    Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number Nine)
    Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    stop being mean

ReputationRep:
    stop being mean
    Piff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    stop being mean
    How much would you cut for not showing that x=4 is invalid and x=0 is invalid in Q 1 STEP 2 2004(and writing X=4,1,0 for all three) ? and how much mark for solving part (i) of Q8 ???

ReputationRep:
    How much would you cut for not showing that x=4 is invalid and x=0 is invalid in Q 1 STEP 2 2004 ?
    4/5 marks. IIRC, x=0, 1, 4 are solutions to the first part. x=1,4 or 0,1 are solutions to the second one and x=0,1 or 1,4 (basically the opposite of the second one) are the solutions for the third one.

and how much mark for solving part (i) of Q8 ???
    4 marks.

ReputationRep:
    4/5 marks. IIRC, x=0, 1, 4 are solutions to the first part. x=1,4 or 0,1 are solutions to the second one and x=0,1 or 1,4 (basically the opposite of the second one) are the solutions for the third one.

4 marks.
    3 marks cut for the first one ? as i showed working ???

ReputationRep:
    3 marks cut for the first one ? as i showed working ???
    Sorry, not sure what you're asking?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, not sure what you're asking?
    Q1 i need one more zacken jsut one more point :cry:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry

ReputationRep:
    Q1 i need one more zacken jsut one more point :cry:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry
    Give yourself 5 marks for Q8(i), I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    PDATE:

STEP 2 2004 Mock 98/120 S

A very nice paper. And I understood the significance of going thoroughly through each question before attempting it. Choice of question really matters.

Q1, 15/20 I thought this was a very easy question but in the end I lost most marks on this. Didnt realize that x=4,0 are invalid for some cases.

Q2, 19/20 Drew the graph but forgot the asymptote. At first the question seemed very complex and hard to understand but once u get it its fine.

Q3, 20/20 I spent most time on this question apparently because i was confused whether x=2 is a stationary point or not. (As the second deri was zero but also the third deri)

Q5,20/20 Pretty tricky imho. And im still not satisfied with substituting x inplace of t(though i just did it in the mock)

Q8 4/20

Q11, 20/20 I thought power question was easy but after the mock i realised that q9 was easier and quicker to do.

ReputationRep:

Q3, 20/20 I spent most time on this question apparently because i was confused whether x=2 is a stationary point or not. (As the second deri was zero but also the third deri)
    If the first derivative is zero, then the point is a stationary point. These stationary points could be any of (i) a maximum (ii) a minimum (iii) an inflection point. If the second derivative is zero, then it is an inflection point unless the third derivative is also zero. In which case you need to investigate signs for the nature of the stationary point.

ReputationRep:
    If the first derivative is zero, then the point is a stationary point. These stationary points could be any of (i) a maximum (ii) a minimum (iii) an inflection point. If the second derivative is zero, then it is an inflection point unless the third derivative is also zero. In which case you need to investigate signs for the nature of the stationary point.
    sorry i was confused whether its a min point or a point of inflexion. Lokking at the dy/dx(after and before x=2) told me that it should be a min point but looking at the second deri told me it might be an point of inflexion but the third deri told me its not so. So i thought i went wrong with the algebra, Thnx m8

ReputationRep:
    sorry i was confused whether its a min point or a point of inflexion. Lokking at the dy/dx told me that it should be a min point but looking at the second deri told me it might be an point of inflexion but the third deri told me its not so. So i thought i went wrong with the algebra,
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. The second derivative being zero means it's a point of inflection unless the third derivative also vanishes at that point. In which case the second derivative reveals nothing about the nature of the point and you should only look at the first derivative.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. The second derivative being zero means it's a point of inflection unless the third derivative also vanishes at that point. In which case the second derivative reveals nothing about the nature of the point and you should only look at the first derivative.
    :no:C2 m8............................ne ed to revise em.Thnx

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP II MOCK 2005 91/120 S
    A not bad paper.

Q1, I took a bit time to figure out P(x) was. Its a pretty simple Idea but never occured to me for the first 20 min
    20/20
    Q2, I thought this was easy and it did look very easy so i gave it a go but lost marks on the only if part(iii). I couldnt understand what the question meant and i thought they were repeating what they said in part(ii). 16/20
    Q3, Very straightforward Integration 20/20
    Q4, I love arctans they are cool. 20/20
    Q8, First two parts were fine but i messed up the last part. Instead of drawing the two graphs(reflexion on x axis) in one graph i drew them on seperate graphs. But I showed that the graphs approach plus and minus \sqrt (3) tho i think im being too kind to myself. 15/20

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    UPDATE;
    STEP 1 2008 90/120 S
    Was expecting a bit higher but I found this to be a pretty tough paper. Well anyway I am gonna revise FP3 and some FP2 today and I will try to tackle STEP 3 2000. Wish me luck

Spoiler:
    Show
    UPDATE;
    STEP 1 2008 90/120 S
    Was expecting a bit higher but I found this to be a pretty tough paper. Well anyway I am gonna revise FP3 and some FP2 today and I will try to tackle STEP 3 2000. Wish me luck
    Well done mate. Keep it up!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    UPDATE;
    STEP 1 2008 90/120 S
    Well done dude. Keep it up :yy:!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.