Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STEP Blog of Virgin Duke Watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you're doing well Duke.

BTW according to this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...%2013%2015.pdf

Only one Christ's Engineering applicant has achieved an S in STEP I to date ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Not sure, mines are mostly borderline S. And I dont know how I would perform under exam condtiions.

Nice data. But tbh if I recieved the offer last yr I wouldnt have met it. Doing A levels and STEP simultaneously is a lot of work(i mean really a lot). Imagine how the ,mathmos live
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Doing A levels and STEP simultaneously is a lot of work(i mean really a lot). Imagine how the ,mathmos live
    Indeed - as pm found last year...

Haha, I know who that is!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 3 2004 70/120 1

still finding it very tough.

1,20/20 Straight forward and lovely question.

2, 8/20 messed up apparently due to the error in finding the oblique asyptote

8,19/20 This was a very straight forward question but after I finished Q2 i was wandering which question to do for 20 min. I particularly found that its more difficult to guess which question is nice on STEP 3.Lost 1 mark for not showing asymptote of parabola.

10, 10/20 Not sure whether I would get this much mark but to be on the safer side.didnt get the time to solve for time.This kind of question often appers in M3.

11,15/20 Didnt get the last part but its pretty straight forward.One of the easier questions in mechanics.

STEP 3 2002 92/100 S

I also did STEP 3 2003 but yet to mark it.(probs high 1)

STEP 2 2006 77/120 1

ReputationRep:
    Indeed - as pm found last year...
    N this year. I just started work today.
    I wnt miss step tho this time .....
    Might just be physics again....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    N this year. I just started work today.
    I wnt miss step tho this time .....
    Might just be physics again....
    feck physics. Tell Homerton ur goin camping with Renzhi

ReputationRep:
    feck physics. Tell Homerton ur goin camping with Renzhi
    Hw the **** u get A*?
    I actually need tips. Did u do ppers more then once?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hw the **** u get A*?
    I actually need tips. Did u do ppers more then once?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    past papers but first read through the whole tb and understand each concept (read the textbook eachline atleast 3 times) then once ur confident with the concept start tackling pp and the then mark where u went wrong. Adn if u forgot some points to mention (thats on the mark scheme) remember em. write that point down on the textbook on the page of the relevant topic then after some time(dnt redo it immediately ) redo the paper. Youll be fine m8.tbh they wont reject one of the best mathmo in the nation 'cuz of some useless physics grade

ReputationRep:
    Duke Glacia

I would like to know how you became extremely good at maths? (No modesty please)

I would also like to know whether you think watching all videos on ExamSolutions.net for C1-4 until I understand it, will give me the necessary tools to start tackling STEP 1.

ReputationRep:
    Wakey wakey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PumpkinPatrick)
    Duke Glacia

I would like to know how you became extremely good at maths? (No modesty please)

I would also like to know whether you think watching all videos on ExamSolutions.net for C1-4 until I understand it, will give me the necessary tools to start tackling STEP 1.
    Well all i did for A levels were practice mixed exercise and review exercise (at least 2 times each) then move on to the past papers. Also if u practice STEP youll be also good at A level maths(its a amazing byproduct).

I have never watched examsolutions(but some creatures like Zacken used the site extensivley ). So once ur comfortable with C1-c4 u can start tackling STEP 1. At first u will feel like swearing but it gets easier(not easy tho)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 3 2004 70/120 1

still finding it very tough.

1,20/20 Straight forward and lovely question.

2, 8/20 messed up apparently due to the error in finding the oblique asyptote

8,19/20 This was a very straight forward question but after I finished Q2 i was wandering which question to do for 20 min. I particularly found that its more difficult to guess which question is nice on STEP 3.Lost 1 mark for not showing asymptote of parabola.

10, 10/20 Not sure whether I would get this much mark but to be on the safer side.didnt get the time to solve for time.This kind of question often appers in M3.

11,15/20 Didnt get the last part but its pretty straight forward.One of the easier questions in mechanics.

STEP 3 2002 92/100 S

I also did STEP 3 2003 but yet to mark it.(probs high 1)

STEP 2 2006 77/120 1

Ooh I did this paper yesterday (2004)
    Haha it was the worst thing. started doing it think it was a step II paper and was like **** I'm screwed, then realised it was a III paper and was so thankful.

Question 8 is also quite nice, if you've done differential equations in fp3/2 yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpaterson)
    Ooh I did this paper yesterday (2004)
    Haha it was the worst thing. started doing it think it was a step II paper and was like **** I'm screwed, then realised it was a III paper and was so thankful.

Question 8 is also quite nice, if you've done differential equations in fp3/2 yet
    m8 i completely agree. STEP 3 is 2 tough. Actually i feel its aafecting my STEP 2 performance

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 2 2007 71/120 1
    Q1, I literally took 1 hr for this question and made a lot of careless mistake, I think i need a clear understanding of whats going on. 12/20

Q3, A fairly straightforward question. But again i need to improve my timing. Made a careless mistaske when proceeding to limits.19/20

Q2, A ver easy but interesting question. I was surprised at how the area of R kud be calculated so easily using symmetry 20/20

Q6, As written in the examinars report this was a very straightforward question,

overall i felt i should have skipped the first question and moved on to the Q10, Q5 etc,
    as Djmayes said its advisable not to spend on a question for more than 20min

STEP 3 2005 61/120

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 1 2010 103/120 S
    STEP 1 2009 111/120 S
    STEP 2 2008 75/120 1
    Q1, 20/20
    Q2, 20/20
    Q7, 7/20
    Q5,12/20
    Q9 16/20

Im currently reworking past papers for STEP 3 to be more confident

Exactly 2 months from today. I cannot believe how fast time runs. Hope we can all meet our offers.

I got a job today so i shall be more productive from today

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 1 2010 103/120 S
    STEP 1 2009 111/120 S
    STEP 2 2008 75/120 1
    Q1, 20/20
    Q2, 20/20
    Q7, 7/20
    Q5,12/20
    Q9 16/20

Exactly 2 months from today. I cannot believe how fast time runs. Hope we can all meet our offers.

You ****ing badman. Well done you better not miss your offer now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You ****ing badman. Well done you better not miss your offer now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope so m8.I desperatly wanna c physicsmaths irl

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    STEP 1 2010 103/120 S
    STEP 1 2009 111/120 S
    STEP 2 2008 75/120 1
    Q1, 20/20
    Q2, 20/20
    Q7, 7/20
    Q5,12/20
    Q9 16/20

Killing it Duke, keep at it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Killing it Duke, keep at it!
    cheers fam !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.