Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the news always depressing and never happy Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most news I read are sad and terrifying and the showbiz always show talentless nobodies like kardashians who don't do anything productive why can't their be happy news like a miracle baby a hero who saves a day cure for cancer stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    This is the world we live in ...

ReputationRep:
    you are quite right. if you based your knowledge of our system of government on what you hear on the Today Programme you would think that it was a criminal enterprise run by confidence tricksters and/or sex offenders

Bad news sells more

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I was actually just thinking this. I think they should focus equally on good and bad news. Fine, there are some things we need to know regardless if they are bad or not but sadly, the good things people do are never mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Bad news sells more
    Wouldn't be more surprised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliivia17)
    To be honest I was actually just thinking this. I think they should focus equally on good and bad news. Fine, there are some things we need to know regardless if they are bad or not but sadly, the good things people do are never mentioned
    True

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glamourprincess)
    Most news I read are sad and terrifying and the showbiz always show talentless nobodies like kardashians who don't do anything productive why can't their be happy news like a miracle baby a hero who saves a day cure for cancer stuff like that
    Because happy news is usually either very small scale (miracle baby = 1 person, compared to 9 people dying in a train crash is not newsworthy), or it's about something NOT happening (hero who saves the day = 'BREAKING NEWS - Something bad NEARLY HAPPENED, but DIDNT), or it's a very long term trend that doesn't really happen on a specific day (starvation in Central Africa reduced by 30% over 5 years... very nice, but when do you report it?).

Still, not all news is depressing, we just focus on the depressing stuff (and media companies know this).

ReputationRep:
    Bad news is more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody buys good news.

Schadenfreude.

ReputationRep:
    If you watch soaps there's always something bad happening to someone, no ones allowed to be happy for long. It's because bad things are more entertaining; people would rather see a character murdered than get a new job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life is depressing

ReputationRep:
    Because things in bad news tend to effect society more than the things in good news. That said i still see good news in the media, like when a potential cure for a disease is found.

Showbiz news is pretty braindead anyway, so there's not much point in expecting anything from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporaryone)
    This is the world we live in ...
    Not at all. The world is getting better in almost every way you can measure. Literacy, life expectancy, gender equality etc.

Bad news sells more
    Yes, but why?

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    Because things in bad news tend to effect society more than the things in good news. That said i still see good news in the media, like when a potential cure for a disease is found.
    Not at all. Society has been changed, for the better, so much over the past few hundred years, almost entirely due to technology and trade.

The real answer probably boils down to evolution: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...more-good-news

Is the media negative? Media studies show that bad news far outweighs good news by as much as seventeen negative news reports for every one good news report. Why? The answer may lie in the work of evolutionary psychologists and neuroscientists. Humans seek out news of dramatic, negative events. These experts say that our brains evolved in a hunter-gatherer environment where anything novel or dramatic had to be attended to immediately for survival. So while we no longer defend ourselves against saber-toothed tigers, our brains have not caught up.

Many studies have shown that we care more about the threat of bad things than we do about the prospect of good things. Our negative brain tripwires are far more sensitive than our positive triggers. We tend to get more fearful than happy. And each time we experience fear we turn on our stress hormones.

Another explanation comes from probability theory. In essence, negative and unusual things happen all the time in the world. In his book, Innumeracy, John Allen Paulos explains that if the news is about a small neighborhood of 500 or 5,000, then the possibility that something unusual has happened is low. Unusual things don't happen to individual people very often. That's why very local news like a neighborhood newsletters tends to have less bad news. But in a large city of 1 million, dramatic and negative incidents happen all the time. But most people watch national or worldwide media where news reports come in from large cities at a large scale, so the prevalence of negative stories increase. Add the size of social networking communication, and we expand geometrically bad news. So from evolutionary and neuro-scientific and probability perspectives, we are hard-wired to look for the dramatic and negative, and when we find it, we share it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    If you watch soaps there's always something bad happening to someone, no ones allowed to be happy for long. It's because bad things are more entertaining; people would rather see a character murdered than get a new job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I get that no wonder eastenders are depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)

Showbiz news is pretty braindead anyway, so there's not much point in expecting anything from that.
    That's true good point
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Bad news sells more
    This

BTW, nice sig

ReputationRep:
    Not really news but this made me happy this morning:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...429.html?nhp=1

I love seeing this sort of thing. Makes me happy. Allows me to put aside the big pile of **** I call a life.

ReputationRep:
    Bad news = good news, as per our controversy thirsty, slightly morbid/misanthropic 'human' fascinations/preoccupations, as a species :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.