The Student Room Group

Bristol, Durham, St. Andrews - Philosophy??

Hey, So I have offers from each... not the slightest clue where to go.
I like Bristol; my sister is there and I go there farily regularly - I know I like it. There are also lots more cool stuff like clubs and sports to get involved in at Bristol, which I am keen on.. However, there are so many different opinions and sources that I just don't know, really, what is between these academically... Some look at durham and St. A's like they are elites.. Others say that it won't make any difference, and Bristol does seem to rank just below them for philosophy.. Though some say it is loosing its rep.

When you say 'I got to Durham' or 'I go to St. A's' there seems to be a bigger respect.. Is this actually academically accurate, or just ********?

I don't have a clue what to do. My main concern is that I don't want to miss out, or regret not going to Durham or St. A's if they are actually, significantly ahead, and will give me better prospects.
Please, any help from current students, people in the same position, anything would be good.. thanks! :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dock-leaf
I like Bristol; my sister is there and I go there farily regularly - I know I like it. There are also lots more cool stuff like clubs and sports to get involved in at Bristol, which I am keen on.. However, there are so many different opinions and sources that I just don't know, really, what is between these academically... Some look at durham and St. A's like they are elites.. Others say that it won't make any difference, and Bristol does seem to rank just below them for philosophy.. Though some say it is loosing its rep.

When you say 'I got to Durham' or 'I go to St. A's' there seems to be a bigger respect.. Is this actually academically accurate, or just ********?

I don't have a clue what to do. My main concern is that I don't want to miss out, or regret not going to Durham or St. A's if they are actually, significantly ahead, and will give me better prospects.
Please, any help from current students, people in the same position, anything would be good.. thanks! :/

Well this is a late response but I hope you chose St A. We have just been moved up to Number 1 for philosophy in the Guardian League tables and as a current student I can promise you it's a great department. It's full of staff who really care about the students and they are really invested in getting the best possible out of you. I always expected to be left to my own devices at university but not here, they are always around to help in every way. The modules are also very varied and interesting. I love studying philosophy here.
Reply 2
I reckon all three would be very good. I'm sure each have a specific approach to the teaching and content of philosophy so you might want to investigate. Other than that, Bristol, Durham and St Andrews are all very different universities. If you can, visit them all; although you might need to take out a mortgage for the petrol.
Reply 3
Original post by Charlie_Ellie
Well this is a late response but I hope you chose St A. We have just been moved up to Number 1 for philosophy in the Guardian League tables and as a current student I can promise you it's a great department. It's full of staff who really care about the students and they are really invested in getting the best possible out of you. I always expected to be left to my own devices at university but not here, they are always around to help in every way. The modules are also very varied and interesting. I love studying philosophy here.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm strill struggling to decide between there and bristol.
I haven't spoken to anyone who's actually studying philosophy there yet; how are you finding it?
My concerns are that it on the other side of the uk - whereas bristol is just up the road - and that it might be too isolated / enclosed with so many people?

What are the pros / cons you have experienced so far?
Reply 4
St Andrews definitely has the best philosophy department of those three.
Reply 5
Original post by Estreth
St Andrews definitely has the best philosophy department of those three.

Hey - thanks for the reply.
- I've heard lots of people say that. But I was wondering what it actually that makes it significantly better - as for a start they are both good unis for philosophy - but for example, I looked up a lot of the lecturers at St Andrews, and found many (no exaggeration - a fair proportion) have been lecturers at Bristol before.
- Also, i think bristol offers a great range of modules, and a perhaps more 'independent' style of learning, compared to St A's unusually high contact hours for philosophy.

- So what is it that actually makes the difference?

Hey!

First, congratulations on getting offers from them all. They are all great universities. I think you should go for the university that you are most comfortable with. They all rank high in the league tables, and at the end of the day, you are going to be spending 3 / 4 years at that place. Take a look at all the smaller details too, e.g. what do the student services offer?, etc. :smile:
Reply 7
Hey - thanks for the reply.
- I've heard lots of people say that. But I was wondering what it actually that makes it significantly better - as for a start they are both good unis for philosophy - but for example, I looked up a lot of the lecturers at St Andrews, and found many (no exaggeration - a fair proportion) have been lecturers at Bristol before.
- Also, i think bristol offers a great range of modules, and a perhaps more 'independent' style of learning, compared to St A's unusually high contact hours for philosophy.

- So what is it that actually makes the difference?

What makes the difference is that, on the whole, it has the better philosophers. Obviously this is my opinion (I'm a doctoral student in philosophy) but it would be most philosophers' opinion too. That said, Bristol definitely has a good department. Bristol is stronger in philosophy of science, and St Andrews in ethics and aesthetics.

Incidentally, the fact that many of the St Andrew's lecturers have been lecturers at Bristol speaks in favour of St Andrew's, because the general pattern in the academic profession once you've finished your doctorate is that you start lower down the ladder and work your way up. So most of the people you cite would probably have regarded themselves as taking a step up when landing a job at St Andrew's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending