The Student Room Group

Best place to get ear piercing?

I want a second piercing in my ear lobe but I'm not sure where the best place to go is. Close to me I have an F Hinds store which does piercings, a Claires accessories store and a blue banana store. I'm sure there are other places but I'm thinking off the top of my head :tongue:

Has anyone had a piercing done at F Hinds? Or have a second lobe piercing? Does it hurt? I had my first piercing years ago so I don't remember the pain :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

I've got two in both earlobes. Did both of the second two myself, no it doesn't hurt.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I've got two in both earlobes. Did both of the second two myself, no it doesn't hurt.

:eek: you did it yourself?! how? I definitely couldn't do that haha
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
:eek: you did it yourself?! how? I definitely couldn't do that haha

Probably not the best idea but with a sewing needle and then just pushed the earrings in.

Ages ago though haven't worn earrings in years.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Probably not the best idea but with a sewing needle and then just pushed the earrings in.

Ages ago though haven't worn earrings in years.

That sounds so painful :hide:
DO NOT go to Claire's for piercings. Don't get piercings by a gun or from shop workers who are not trained and experienced piercers. Go to a professional piercers. You should be able to find one in your town by Googling it.

I'd also advise against a forward helix or a helix. Different people have different experiences but I got both and they were a total disaster (I have other piercings which are fine) and I have friends who got helixes which went bad too (that didn't stop me at the time). You can't clean behind the forward helix because it's such a tight little space at the back of the piercing and the pain is intense when you try - in order to clean it you have to move it which is always best avoided. So it's really hard to get it clean and to settle and heal up. The pain of the piercing wasn't that bad (not pleasant - it felt like a hot poker being stabbed through) but the pain afterwards over the next few days/weeks/months was awful. My helix ended up getting a cartilage bump (my friend got one of these and had to have it removed surgically) so I took it out before it grew big (it's gone now) and the forward helix never healed and was infected (so gross) and I'd catch every time I washed/combed/dried my hair and it felt like the worst pain ever so I just took it out and let it heal.

My only ear piercings which healed nicely and don't bother me at all are my lobes and upper lobes. None of them go through cartilage. I've personally found cartilage piercings to be nothing but trouble but I'd recommend the upper lobe.

Edit: regarding pain - anything through the flesh is pretty easy, you'll feel a stabbing sensation which is over quite quickly. Anything through cartilage is very unpleasant and you feel and hear it pop through the cartilage. The numbing gel they use only numbs the surface of the skin so it does practically nothing to dull the pain. It might also take a few attempts to get it through the cartilage (as mine did) which is not nice to experience. I felt like my ear was on fire for about an hour after my cartilage piercings. I've also had a navel piercing and tattoo work and neither of those came close to the pain of cartilage piercing. In fact, if I had to do any of them again I'd easily pick tattoo work and I had that done on very boney area which is supposedly the most painful area.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
DO NOT go to Claire's for piercings. Don't get piercings by a gun or from shop workers who are not trained and experienced piercers. Go to a professional piercers. You should be able to find one in your town by Googling it.

I'd also advise against a forward helix or a helix. Different people have different experiences but I got both and they were a total disaster (I have other piercings which are fine) and I have friends who got helixes which went bad too (that didn't stop me at the time). You can't clean behind the forward helix because it's such a tight little space at the back of the piercing and the pain is intense when you try - in order to clean it you have to move it which is always best avoided. So it's really hard to get it clean and to settle and heal up. The pain of the piercing wasn't that bad (not pleasant - it felt like a hot poker being stabbed through) but the pain afterwards over the next few days/weeks/months was awful. My helix ended up getting a cartilage bump (my friend got one of these and had to have it removed surgically) so I took it out before it grew big (it's gone now) and the forward helix never healed and was infected (so gross) and I'd catch every time I washed/combed/dried my hair and it felt like the worst pain ever so I just took it out and let it heal.

My only ear piercings which healed nicely and don't bother me at all are my lobes and upper lobes. None of them go through cartilage. I've personally found cartilage piercings to be nothing but trouble but I'd recommend the upper lobe.

Edit: regarding pain - anything through the flesh is pretty easy, you'll feel a stabbing sensation which is over quite quickly. Anything through cartilage is very unpleasant and you feel and hear it pop through the cartilage. The numbing gel they use only numbs the surface of the skin so it does practically nothing to dull the pain. It might also take a few attempts to get it through the cartilage (as mine did) which is not nice to experience. I felt like my ear was on fire for about an hour after my cartilage piercings. I've also had a navel piercing and tattoo work and neither of those came close to the pain of cartilage piercing. In fact, if I had to do any of them again I'd easily pick tattoo work and I had that done on very boney area which is supposedly the most painful area.

Thank you :smile: Why do you not recommend claires? I had my first set done there lol.
The F hinds store had the certificate of training on display so I'm guessing she's been trained.

:eek: cartilage sounds so painful! I'm glad I only want the lobe done :colondollar:

I disagree with your condemning of cartilage piercings. A forward helix is easy to clean if you sea salt soak it correctly. I use a bowl on the side and dip my ear in. Regarding cartilage piercings in general, they take a long time to heal and you have to be patient with them and follow good aftercare practice, as with any piercing.

To the OP, find a professional piercer and don't let anyone touch you with a piercing gun. Look for someone who uses height quality jewellery, for example titanium as this is lightweight and less irritating in a fresh piercing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
I disagree with your condemning of cartilage piercings. A forward helix is easy to clean if you sea salt soak it correctly. I use a bowl on the side and dip my ear in. Regarding cartilage piercings in general, they take a long time to heal and you have to be patient with them and follow good aftercare practice, as with any piercing.

To the OP, find a professional piercer and don't let anyone touch you with a piercing gun. Look for someone who uses height quality jewellery, for example titanium as this is lightweight and less irritating in a fresh piercing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This may be a silly question but whats wrong with a piercing gun? I haven't had any piercings for years so I have no idea about any of this lol. I was going to get 14 or 18 carat gold. I had 9 carat gold studs for my first piercing and they didn't irritate me at all.
This may be a silly question but whats wrong with a piercing gun? I haven't had any piercings for years so I have no idea about any of this lol. I was going to get 14 or 18 carat gold. I had 9 carat gold studs for my first piercing and they didn't irritate me at all.

Piercing guns cannot be properly sterilised and therefore could potentially be carrying pathogens on their surface. The studs used are too blunt and rely on force to pierce the ear which causes far more tissue trauma than a needle. They are also too short to allow for swelling and the butterfly backs are very difficult to keep clean. A high quality titanium barbel or Labret bar is a more sensible choice as it is lighter, and the appropriate length for your anatomy can be chosen. Needles are far sharper causing less trauma and are both sterile and disposable resulting in a far smaller risk of infection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont go to Claires!! I went there for my first peirceing and something went wrong with the gun thing. I didnt realise till the 6 weeks were over and the earring broke and was stuck in my ear... they dtwisted the back bit so the butterful wouldnt come off AND the gold ball at the front fell off. Very painful to yank out fyi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said "different people have different experiences". I know that not everyone has bad experiences with cartilage piercings - I wasn't 'condemning' them at all I was sharing my own experience of them. I followed the aftercare properly and my body rejected them. I think it's right that people get to see both sides of the story and are aware of the risks.
Piercing guns cannot be properly sterilised and therefore could potentially be carrying pathogens on their surface. The studs used are too blunt and rely on force to pierce the ear which causes far more tissue trauma than a needle. They are also too short to allow for swelling and the butterfly backs are very difficult to keep clean. A high quality titanium barbel or Labret bar is a more sensible choice as it is lighter, and the appropriate length for your anatomy can be chosen. Needles are far sharper causing less trauma and are both sterile and disposable resulting in a far smaller risk of infection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: You have been very helpful!
Original post by bad_username
Dont go to Claires!! I went there for my first peirceing and something went wrong with the gun thing. I didnt realise till the 6 weeks were over and the earring broke and was stuck in my ear... they dtwisted the back bit so the butterful wouldnt come off AND the gold ball at the front fell off. Very painful to yank out fyi.

How long ago was that? My first one from there was fine but that must have been over 10 years ago
(edited 8 years ago)
I said "different people have different experiences". I know that not everyone has bad experiences with cartilage piercings - I wasn't 'condemning' them at all I was sharing my own experience of them. I followed the aftercare properly and my body rejected them. I think it's right that people get to see both sides of the story and are aware of the risks.

I know, hence I am offering my experience. I apologise if you don't like my choice of words, but that really wasn't the point!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long ago was that? My first one from there was fine but that must have been over 10 years ago

About 4 years ago
Go to any good piercing shop of your area. But first, take comments from the people who already have passed from this process. Ask about their piercing experience and then take decision.
Upper ear helix
Anywhere that uses a stud and a gun, risks are minimal nowdays. Leave the stud in for as long as poss (pref months) and rotate it daily.
Hi ive had my seconds and cartilage done seconds dont hurt much but cartilage does alot. I got mine done at f hinds and they were really nice and made it as less painful as possible. I defo recommend them 👍
I got both of mine done at Claires and they were fine. They were red for a while and I had to stick to the original earrings too but that's happened through out my family and they went to different places too so that's just me 😂 one other thing I will say is that the rapid solution doesn't work there- just use it for the 6 weeks

Quick Reply