Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are you actually meant to revise????? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm revising chemistry say... I sit down with the course book and just summarise what's on each page? I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    Do some past papers? I assume you have done already though?

ReputationRep:
    definitions - read/write them over and over again until you can recite them
    read through the textbook for understanding - highlight/make notes on key points and actually work through all the examples given in the textbook

do all the questions
    do all the past papers

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have good notes, then make questions out of them. For example; fact: "Blood contains a pigment called haemoglobin" now make this into a question: "what pigment does blood contain?". Once you have written out a test, fill it out, with all the answers using a DIFFERENT COLOURED Pen. You will pick up the answers easily because you have been subconsciously taking in the answers whilst trying to make questions. Got 8 A's at school by using this method hope it works for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just read and read and read and read and read and read and ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorenavant)
    So I'm revising chemistry say... I sit down with the course book and just summarise what's on each page? I'm not sure...
    the feels

I get this too

people are like 'yeah k so revise for so many hours one thing blah blah'

and I'm like you saying 'revise' is super not helpful because UGH I MAKE NO SENSE BUT I DONT CARE IM MAD LOL

ReputationRep:
    Sleep on the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    Processing the notes is the best thing to do, this includes doing past exam questions to apply the knowledge. And constantly test yourself (as someone said above) asking yourself random questions frequently to rehearse the information. Processing can be re-writing notes (not word for word though), cue cards etc.
    Depends what way you find the most useful really
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Read information, cover and rewrite it from memory.
    Summarise it in your own words,
    Highlight key words in each piece of information which act a prompts,
    Answer some questions on that specific piece of information,
    Review in 2-3 days, then dot review until a few weeks later,
    Etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Sleep on the textbook.
    Sounds great... really comfortable... thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great... really comfortable... thanks
    What I do for Chemistry is first read the chapter fully and then make sure I understand everything. I then write down the key notes (things that are likely to come up in exams). I say A level chemistry is less fact recollection, and more just practice with calculations and stuff.
    Revise basically means shove some information in your brain for later use. You can do that in anyway in which you remember things best. I write condensed notes.

ReputationRep:
    I watch videos on the topics I'm not too sure about (*cough*all*cough*) and whilst doing that, I write whatever the person is saying in a notebook. This helps me to concentrate instead of just staring blankly at the screen and thinking about what I'm going to have for tea. I've realised that by doing this, I understand the content. For science, I copy the notes from my notebook onto index cards and then learn them by heart. Good luck! (~:

ReputationRep:
    I know that you've probably heard this multiple times but here's my run down of how to revise
    - Look up the spec of your chemistry and print it out: it should have pages on the specific content you need to know which is really helpful for example I'm doing GCSE OCR Gateway -
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82565-specification.pdf
    If you go to page 22 for example it shows you exactly what you need to know. From this, create your own notes - some of the notes they will provide, others you will need to use the revision guide from that - jot it down on a piece of paper/type it up.

- Then highlight key words and put them on a revision card.
    - Once you have out the key words on a card, use those words as a trigger and see if you can remember any of the extra info on the notes you made
    - Keep on doing that till you remember everything on your notes pages
    - Using what you've learnt off by heart, draw it all up on a mind map
    - Do past papers!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporaryone)
    Just read and read and read and read and read and read and ...
    and....read!

Reading is really helpful for me haha

ReputationRep:
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

What about French though? (especially for listening exams)

ReputationRep:
    Past paper after past paper. It gets you used to how your exam board will ask questions. Also it gives you confidence in what you know and what you need to still look at.

ReputationRep:
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

What about French though? (especially for listening exams)
    I take French and for listening exams the best thing to do is to find some past papers inline or just watch a French movie and English subtitles surprisingly you pick up some vocab!

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that there are only a limited amount of past papers you can get. I suggest you buy a French revision workbook and on the workbook they link a website will loads of listening exercise per grade and per theme .... I find them really useful! X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.