Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will having a maths GCSE be enough for the future? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    they teaching C1 at the moment and we've done surds, which was super easy at this level, then we've done indices, again easy. now we're doing coordinate geometry and the rules are quite nice and easy, but once we got to the practice exam question for it, i was almost on the verge of banging my head on the desk, thats how i handled the stress lol.
    Ahhh I remember struggling with that when I was doing exam questions for it!

My tip is to go back to the beginning of that chapter and start again. Have you watched the exams solutions tutorials and video run throughs of exam questions? Highly recommended.

Just a warning though coordinate geometry gets even harder in C2, and it probably is carried forward to C3 and C4 as well. It's an essential skill you'll have to master, but with practice and guidance you'll get there.

When I started mechanics I thought there was no hope for me, with a bit of perseverance and a lot of practice - I'm doing fine!

ReputationRep:
    thought i can take A-level maths but right now it seems too hard so i might not even go for it. I got A* at gcse maths, will that help me in any way in future jobs ? or do they disregard GCSEs altogether?
    Any non-STEM degrees or careers won't care at all if you don't do A-level maths. But you haven't specified where you want to work in the future, so...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Any non-STEM degrees or careers won't care at all if you don't do A-level maths. But you haven't specified where you want to work in the future, so...
    oh thats good then, i initially thought maths would still look impressive with non stem degrees, thanks for confirming!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Ahhh I remember struggling with that when I was doing exam questions for it!

My tip is to go back to the beginning of that chapter and start again. Have you watched the exams solutions tutorials and video run throughs of exam questions? Highly recommended.

Just a warning though coordinate geometry gets even harder in C2, and it probably is carried forward to C3 and C4 as well. It's an essential skill you'll have to master, but with practice and guidance you'll get there.

When I started mechanics I thought there was no hope for me, with a bit of perseverance and a lot of practice - I'm doing fine!
    Thanks, i admire you for that but now that i've read all of these replies, i think i'll just give up on maths and stem subjects altogether!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i admire you for that but now that i've read all of these replies, i think i'll just give up on maths and stem subjects altogether!
    Don't give up on it completely this September it might all click once you've had a break and you will have more time to focus on your work

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.