Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all...

Well I have just taken my AS Drama and Theatre Studies exam, and today we started the first A-level/year13 unit for this, which is covering Brecht.

A bit confusing at first but it's all good stuff... so anyway I came home, a quick search on the net and plenty is there about him, his life, his plays, pics etc... but!! nowhere are his theories summed up, only mentioned here n there or rambled on for pages in language I dont understand :confused:

Could anybody who has completed yr13, or just anybody who knows and understands Brecht, briefly sum up his ideas for me please? We have been over a few, but I really want to make some proper notes... so anyway, an outline of how he worked would be really great Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    There must be somebody out there who can explain things

ReputationRep:
    of course, but yr13 are still doing exams... you've got a whole year to summarise his theories for yourself.

All I can remember is his theory on alienation. He didn't want the audience to become too attached to the action in the theatre, and took every opportunity to remind them that it was fake. Try reading the caucasian chalk circle, which is quite short and manageable, and you'll see what i mean. For a more visual demonstration of his theory you coul try watching Dogville. Not Brecht, but inspired by his theories. And it's got Nicole Kidman in it, which always helps.

Good luck with your studies!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.