The Student Room Group

Studying Computer Science at Uni

Having recently decided that a field within Computer Science is a career I'd like to pursue, I started looking at potential universities and - though I was aware of this before I looked - majority of them require Maths.

And although I'm currently taking Maths (alongside Computer Science, Geography and Chemistry, all at AS Level), I'm going to be dropping it this year. I did once enjoy Maths but it's proving to be hard for me right now, and I'm worried this will jeopardize my chances of going to a good university and mean that I won't meet the requirements despite taking Computer Science A Level.

All in all, I have hopes of going to a Russell Group University and my predicted grades are AAA for all of my subjects bar Maths - will this mean that even if I achieve high grades, I won't be able to go to these universities without 'essential' Maths? And are there any universities that don't require Maths which anyone would recommend for Computer Science?

I also just finished reading an article about high unemployment rates among Computer Science graduates... Is this true? And who else here would like a career in CS?

Thanks in advance!
Hey,

If you're looking into Computer Science but the Maths isn't really for you, then you can try looking at the other computing degrees that don't put a lot of emphasis on Maths but still focuses on programming/software development etc.

An example of a degree that isn't focused on maths is Software Engineering (which is in fact what I've applied for this year, and I've gotten all my offers :smile:).

Whether or not your get a job is a very iffy topic. You'll definitely be more employable if you apply to do a year in industry and you could even go to 'Target unis' that employers recruit from to maximise your chances.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask about the course I've applied for or if you're still interested in Computer Science and want to know which unis would still let you in without a Maths A Level, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending