Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Selling Photos on My Website Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have been making my website over the past few weeks whenever I get free time. Its coming along really well!

Im now starting to get to the business part of selling the photos and require some guidance on this.

What I ask is if you could reply to the following questions

What size prints you would buy? (if buying one for example)

What price would you pay?

If you were to download the image how much will you be willing to pay for one?

What would you pay for shipping? (Don't want to overcharge on this. I know I will have to work it out but just a guidance)

How would you pay for the prints?

I hope to reveal the website to you soon. Im excited for it!
    Thanks
    WSmith7069
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Instead of asking around have you thought of looking at other sites that do a similar thing to yours? It is very hard to say "I'd pay x amount" when we don't really know what we're buying.

Downloads - probably wouldn't buy them
    Print - One I really liked - last one I bought was £40 and A4 on an A3 sheet (so big border) but it was particularly meaningful and I don't usually buy this sort of thing.
    Shipping - £5-8 tracked and rolled in a tube

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Instead of asking around have you thought of looking at other sites that do a similar thing to yours? It is very hard to say "I'd pay x amount" when we don't really know what we're buying.

Downloads - probably wouldn't buy them
    Print - One I really liked - last one I bought was £40 and A4 on an A3 sheet (so big border) but it was particularly meaningful and I don't usually buy this sort of thing.
    Shipping - £5-8 tracked and rolled in a tube
    Thanks for this. I think you are right, I will do some research on other photographers websites.

I think the rolled in a tube is a must for shipping prints so will look further into shipping these.

Thanks again
    WSmith7069

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the subject and the buyer.

I - an individual - would be very unlikely to buy a photographer's work unless the subject had personal meaning to me. Generally speaking if I want a photograph of something that means something to me I go out and take it myself.

A business, on the other hand, may quite readily buy generic photos from you for their website or promotional materials, but they might be more likely to do so through a stock photo business. You can still make money this way. You'll probably get less per image but should sell more images, assuming you are not well known in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    Pictures of what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Depends entirely on the subject and the buyer.

I - an individual - would be very unlikely to buy a photographer's work unless the subject had personal meaning to me. Generally speaking if I want a photograph of something that means something to me I go out and take it myself.

A business, on the other hand, may quite readily buy generic photos from you for their website or promotional materials, but they might be more likely to do so through a stock photo business. You can still make money this way. You'll probably get less per image but should sell more images, assuming you are not well known in the industry.
    Hmm, that making me think whether or not I should carry on making the website. I have had a look at some of stock photo websites but seem hard to get listed on due to having need approval.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihihi)
    Pictures of what?
    Photos I have taken. I am a keen Photographer and when I get the chance to go out and take photos I do.

I will be selling the best photos from my trips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WSmith7069)
    Hello,

I have been making my website over the past few weeks whenever I get free time. Its coming along really well!

Im now starting to get to the business part of selling the photos and require some guidance on this.

What I ask is if you could reply to the following questions

What size prints you would buy? (if buying one for example)

What price would you pay?

If you were to download the image how much will you be willing to pay for one?

What would you pay for shipping? (Don't want to overcharge on this. I know I will have to work it out but just a guidance)

How would you pay for the prints?

I hope to reveal the website to you soon. Im excited for it!
    Thanks
    WSmith7069
    A5/A4
    Anything from £7-£15 depending what it is
    For a download not the same as the prints, maybe £5-10
    I hate paying for shipping on anything so cheapest as possible
    And just a card transaction I hate things like PayPal

It really does depend on what the prints are of and the quality

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.