Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed degree, job options Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Put simply, I'd be really grateful to hear some serious suggestions for the type of job someone with a failed degree could realistically get. He is direction-less, with no distinct skill set. I hope my post is not mistaken to be judgemental - I am sincerely trying to help the guy.

I am writing this post on behalf of someone else, who failed his third year of a degree, course / university unimportant, who is weighing up the option of retaking next year or abandoning entirely.

He has three options:
    (1). Mope around at home (his family, sadly, would let him).
    (2). Go travelling.
    (3) Work.

I believe that work is, by far and away, the best option. I'd appreciate a few realistic suggestions, the sorts of things that could give him some skills & contacts too. Call centre, data entry, etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions - anything that is well intended is well received.

Sgt367
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt367)
    Hello,

Put simply, I'd be really grateful to hear some serious suggestions for the type of job someone with a failed degree could realistically get. He is direction-less, with no distinct skill set. I hope my post is not mistaken to be judgemental - I am sincerely trying to help the guy.

I am writing this post on behalf of someone else, who failed his third year of a degree, course / university unimportant, who is weighing up the option of retaking next year or abandoning entirely.

He has three options:
    (1). Mope around at home (his family, sadly, would let him).
    (2). Go travelling.
    (3) Work.

I believe that work is, by far and away, the best option. I'd appreciate a few realistic suggestions, the sorts of things that could give him some skills & contacts too. Call centre, data entry, etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions - anything that is well intended is well received.

Sgt367
    Actually, the course may be important and not for the reasons you think. So what was it? Why did you take this particular course in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    It owuld be important to look at what he is genuinely interested in and go in that direction. Maybe academia and the subject he chose wasnt for him.

ReputationRep:
    depends what he cares about doing, people develop at their own speed

i wouldnt tell someone to go 'travelling' after failing university, that notion just seems retarded to me personally, but i guess its all dependent on your own circumstances

i could understand why someone may want to just mope around if they have just failed university, maybe they are depressed, maybe they are just so confused about what to do they dont know where to start, or maybe they are simply just enjoying the fact they have nothing to do with their days, if he has relatively well-off parents, and no real responsibilities, then they too may be okay with him just moping around for a while, as i said, some people develop at their own speed

however, if he is someone who you know 'needs' to get himself into the working world, then encourage him to do so, because as it stands, he already has the dilemma of having to explain his last couple of years, no point in sitting around and doing nothing, go and get any job you can just so at-least you are doing something mildly relevent to the working world, it will only get harder to get even entry level roles the longer that he waits around

ReputationRep:
    If he has no greater reason, he should retake and get it done with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    If he has no greater reason, he should retake and get it done with.
    actually forgot about this option ^^

this is what he should be doing, even with a 3rd, atleast you'd have something to show for it,

if he's got the options OP mentioned, chances are that repeating a year shouldnt be a problem, unless he's not allowed to or whatever

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the comments.

I also think that he would be wise to retake the year - however, we are in February now and September is a while off. He has the opportunity to do something during this time off - in that sense, any job is better than none.

However, I would agree with KPP, ideally it would be something mildly relevant. Which is why I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on the sorts of jobs that he might be able to do - e.g. administrative assistant, bank teller, filing clerk?? Any ideas are very welcome.

Since you asked FF, the degree is geography, however I the reason I don't think that's relevant is because I don't think he's gained a huge amount from it.

ReputationRep:
    Retake.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, when i really think about it, the option to retake should be thought out properly

its another year of debt, long term debt but debt nonetheless

why did he fail? were there genuine special circumstances? in which case, definitely go for it again if those circumstances have changed or improved

but was it because he was lazy? just a general underachiever? was only at uni for his parents? etc. if this is the case, then i would think hard before doing any retakes, i know i said a 3rd is better than nothing, but i also know that there are some employers out there who would not even take a look at someone who repeated their last year and THEN got a 3rd (or even a 2.2), especially in a topic like geography (no offence). No point re-taking if he'll just get a terrible grade and clearly doesn't care about uni or his result

OP, it may help if you tell us how old he is and how much experience he possibly has? as this will probably make a difference (not so much 'age') as to what type of entry level roles he can realistically go for

ReputationRep:
    Thanks KPP for taking such an interest.

As far as I can tell he failed his degree due to poor work ethic. He enjoyed a party lifestyle, several late nights a week.

My, perhaps idealistic, idea is that work will force him to take some responsibility and give him some discipline. Even if he were to hate it for six months, it would show him what he didn't want to, and motivate him to find something better. He would return to the course with a renewed work ethic, and graduate with a decent degree - he's intellectually capable of a 2:1. I fear that simply staying put for six months, then retaking the year, will yield similar results... barely scraping a pass or failing again.

I was fortunate in that my degree included a placement year, and I certainly noticed that I was more disciplined and focused when I returned to my studies after my placement.

Regarding age, he went to university straight from school, and is 20 like most third year undergrads. Not much real world experience, although he held a part time job for a while during school. Interests are football and partying!

Any ideas with regards to jobs? Know anybody who was in a similar position and turned it around?

ReputationRep:
    what degree was he doing and at what university? just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, no trolling, just advice and opinions, please. I left school with bad GCSEs due to depression and bad attendance. That, therefore, resulted in the next four years of my life being a hard time doing a few basic jobs and battling my problems. However, at 21 I went to college and did an Access to HE: Law and Criminology Diploma and went to Birmingham City University. I graduated with a First, got a scholarship to do an LL.M at Warwick and just missed out on a distinction there. However, I now feel that, even though I am now 27, my past is going to prevent me from securing a good career. This is, again, making me feel down and is giving me the feeling that I have wasted my time. Any opinions, guys? Many thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Retake. Finish the degree while the window of opportunity is still there. He's paid for it already and even if the subject isn't doing it for him, having a degree any degree can still open doors that may be otherwise closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philissimo14)
    Guys, no trolling, just advice and opinions, please. I left school with bad GCSEs due to depression and bad attendance. That, therefore, resulted in the next four years of my life being a hard time doing a few basic jobs and battling my problems. However, at 21 I went to college and did an Access to HE: Law and Criminology Diploma and went to Birmingham City University. I graduated with a First, got a scholarship to do an LL.M at Warwick and just missed out on a distinction there. However, I now feel that, even though I am now 27, my past is going to prevent me from securing a good career. This is, again, making me feel down and is giving me the feeling that I have wasted my time. Any opinions, guys? Many thanks for reading.
    Sounds like you're a success and have a lot of options open to you on the basis of what you have achieved.

The depression monster can be overbearing on a bad day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.