The Student Room Group

Will green tea help me in my diet goals?

Hi,
I have been going to the gym for about 5 months now and I have gained a little bit of muscle but have lost a stone. I am now bulking slowly hoping to gain some muscle.

However, I still want to lose fat, especially belly fat. I am 5"10 and 63 KG, yet I still have quite a bit of fat around the abdominal area.

I was wondering of how while I was bulking and working out to gain muscle, I could possibly be drinking green tea in a way to lose a tiny bit of fat?

I would also like to know if drinking green tea will make me lose muscle as well as fat however, as I definitely do not want to be losing muscle AGAIN.

Finally, I would also like to know how much of green tea I should be drinking in order to lose some fat but not lose muscle.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Personally I wouldn't rely on green tea for losing weight. Green tea simply helps to speed up your metabolism to help you poop out what you eat.

If you would really like to lose weight effectively, I'd recommend you changing the types of foods you eat i.e. lessening your calorie intake, eating smaller portions i.e. eat on small plates to fool your brain into thinking you're eating a lot more and actually exercising, it'll make you more toned not necessarily muscley.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,
I have been going to the gym for about 5 months now and I have gained a little bit of muscle but have lost a stone. I am now bulking slowly hoping to gain some muscle.

However, I still want to lose fat, especially belly fat. I am 5"10 and 63 KG, yet I still have quite a bit of fat around the abdominal area.

I was wondering of how while I was bulking and working out to gain muscle, I could possibly be drinking green tea in a way to lose a tiny bit of fat?

I would also like to know if drinking green tea will make me lose muscle as well as fat however, as I definitely do not want to be losing muscle AGAIN.

Finally, I would also like to know how much of green tea I should be drinking in order to lose some fat but not lose muscle.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't significantly alter your metabolism it's a mild appetite suppressant, much like caffeine (however caffeine ever so slightly improves your metabolism)

If you're losing weight and you don't want to lose muscle - eat enough protein, have a good lifting routine and don't go nuts on the cardio.

For losing weight - use Myfitnesspal. It's awesome
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hey,

Personally I wouldn't rely on green tea for losing weight. Green tea simply helps to speed up your metabolism to help you poop out what you eat.

If you would really like to lose weight effectively, I'd recommend you changing the types of foods you eat i.e. lessening your calorie intake, eating smaller portions i.e. eat on small plates to fool your brain into thinking you're eating a lot more and actually exercising, it'll make you more toned not necessarily muscley.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.

No, I'm not so concerned about losing weight, it's more if when I do cut, would green tea make me lose muscle rather than fat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought green tea just cleans you out in a way, like it makes you go to the toilet a lot more
Original post by The1AndOnly1
No, I'm not so concerned about losing weight, it's more if when I do cut, would green tea make me lose muscle rather than fat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No
Original post by blackdiamond97
I thought green tea just cleans you out in a way, like it makes you go to the toilet a lot more

It's usually what it's mixed with in those "diet" drinks that causes that
Reply 6
I took it and lost a stone
Original post by Integer
I took it and lost a stone

how much and over how long? Did you think you lost any muscle? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In short, no. There is essentially little to no scientific evidence to suggest it has a significant or even noticeable impact on weight loss. Any evidence for it is completely anecdotal and almost always said to be accompanied with a change in diet and lifestyle..it's the diet and lifestyle that had the impact essentially not the tea.

So anyone telling you they lost a bunch of weight on green tea is mistaken, don't doubt they lost weight but the green tea was not the cause.
Reply 9
No, it won't help if you're bulking. That's why people cut after bulking, to lose the weight. Weight loss is basically Calories in minus Calories out. If you burn more Calories than you take in, you'll lose weight. A pound of fat is ~3500 Calories, so if you take in 500 less Calories a day or burn off 500 more Calories a day, you'll lose a pound a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're thinking of losing fat whilst bulking - forget it, not happening.

Quick Reply

Latest