The Student Room Group

Help needed- Should I do 1 AS in Jan and focus on the other 3?

Hi :smile:

Ok heres my problem. I am currently doing Bio, Chem, History and Eng for AS.

I am hoping to get AAA in Bio, chem and english. As these are the 3 that I want to carry onto A2.

I am slightly concerned by history. We are doing AQA syllabus, and there is so much to learn. I feel this will detract my concentration from bio and chem, which as I want to do medicine are the most important subjects.

So, should I do Bio chem and Eng in June and do History in Jan.
As I would rather have AAA and a pending grade on my ucas form, then say AAAD! I think if I did it in Jan I would get a better grade. Its not even that I dont understand history or am doing poorly its just the amount of learning.

I dont want to jeopardise my chances for applying to med school, especially as I am a AS resitter....pretty much neeed straight A's...

Any advice appreciated. Sorry about the lengthy message :biggrin:

ps so ultimately id have 3 AS's on my UCAS form, plus another A in General studies which I already got(woop di doo ...lol) And history as pending, will that look bad to uni's???
if anything i would say give yourself more time and WAIT till to june for history. IF anything to take the loads of june exams do 1 or 2 AS modules for chem and bio in jsan instead then you wont have to worry about them so much. It depends how you want to lok at it. You might say if you screw up in jan you have another chance in june having said that why not just give yourself more time till june where you maybe better prepared and youll save yourself resitting again if you do well
Thank you for your advice.

It turns out that for some reason there are no exams in jan for history. As it is not in the syllabus to do so.

Hence, I have no choice but to do them in June......o joy lol :biggrin:
I'll just revise as much as possible, but Im not going to make history my first priority....
Reply 3
^In my experience, with History, it's not how much you know that matters but what you do with what you've learnt (if you have good technique you can get an A even if you don't know your entire text book back to front).
Well, there is a possibility that they would think AAAD if your UCAS form displayed 'pending'. Though I am sure you could manage AAAB if you just keep reading around the subject - you should be fine.

I don't like the AQA History syllabus. It doesn't help that my teachers have so far neglected to teach me a third of it (exams in a few weeks) and I need AAAA for the English degree I want to do.
*River
^In my experience, with History, it's not how much you know that matters but what you do with what you've learnt (if you have good technique you can get an A even if you don't know your entire text book back to front).

:ditto: If history at A-level was simply a matter of learning facts, I would have got an A easily because I have a good memory and knew pretty much everything by the time I sat the exams, but exam technique and how you answer the questions matters more. Anyway, since you have to sit it in June, just do your best and decline the grade if you don't do very well. Unis will assume you're resitting, but it's probably better than them actually knowing the grade if it's low.
Well. I have made my mind up. I decided that when I got my essay back today (that we did timed least week) if it was a bad mark I would consider not doing history in June....got an A :eek: !

....seems i have no choice, there is no way my teacher would let me not take the exam....Ive just wrote out the whole of british notes in a condensed format. Just have to do the same for French Rev/Napoleon and congress system....

Hope I can pull off that fluke in the real thing :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I would definately wait till june for history or any essay based subject as you simply don't have the maturity of writing style to do it then. I sat my history AS in january and ok 2 marks of a B isn't bad but it's not good enough for me so I am resitting. Re-reading my paper, it was purely a question of exam technique for me, and yes some people in my year did get A's but a much higher majority weren't happy and are re-sitting.

For subjects like maths and sciences I think a january exam is good as it's fresh and the answer is right or wrong its less judgemental.

Latest

Trending

Trending