Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I drop Chemistry? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry AS now and I don't like it. I can't answer exam questions as well as I can in my other subjects and in general I'm not good at it. I'm scared if I'll flop it during exam time and spend time revising it, not do well and in turn not do as well as I could've done in my other subjects. What should I do? I want to study biology at university and I know you can get into quite a lot of uni's now without chemistry. Advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    I do Chemistry AS now and I don't like it. I can't answer exam questions as well as I can in my other subjects and in general I'm not good at it. I'm scared if I'll flop it during exam time and spend time revising it, not do well and in turn not do as well as I could've done in my other subjects. What should I do? I want to study biology at university and I know you can get into quite a lot of uni's now without chemistry. Advice?
    Make sure you research the universities you are interested in for the course. If you drop it and they require chemistry or a specific amount of science subjects to be considered for that degree, you would be in a difficult situation. What did you get for Chemistry at GCSE? I did A-level Chem and I know it can get tricky sometimes. You just really need to stay on top of everything and well, pretty much memorise it ALL. It takes a lot of time and practice to really be good at answering exam style questions. Maybe you just haven't done enough past papers yet to really get a grip of it. Don't spend all of your time on chemistry yet know that it is one of the most difficult A-levels out there so obviously it will take a lot of time and effort, and you should be prepared for that. Where are you having difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    Well I know quite a few people who have dropped subjects within these last few weeks, and all of them have said what a relief it is as they really didn't enjoy the subject and to be honest if you aren't enjoying it you aren't going to be as motivated and probably won't end up doing as well as you would hope. So at the end of the day, yes it would look good to Universities if you had an AS in chemistry, but thy aren't going to overlook you if you don't. I say if you aren't gripping it then decide if it's worth it when you could have more time with your other subjects. But good luck either way, maybe it's a case of more exam question practice as they tend to be difficult to get the hang of: practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monica555)
    Make sure you research the universities you are interested in for the course. If you drop it and they require chemistry or a specific amount of science subjects to be considered for that degree, you would be in a difficult situation. What did you get for Chemistry at GCSE? I did A-level Chem and I know it can get tricky sometimes. You just really need to stay on top of everything and well, pretty much memorise it ALL. It takes a lot of time and practice to really be good at answering exam style questions. Maybe you just haven't done enough past papers yet to really get a grip of it. Don't spend all of your time on chemistry yet know that it is one of the most difficult A-levels out there so obviously it will take a lot of time and effort, and you should be prepared for that. Where are you having difficulty?
    Exam questions are just horrible. I often find myself constantly asking other people or my teacher and I just can't do them independently. I got an A*'s in my Biology, Chemistry and Physics exams at GCSE but got a B in coursework so my overall Science GCSE grade was an A. I do Psychology A-Level which I find much more interesting and some universities, in fact quite a lot, consider it a second science along with Biology so I should be okay unless they specifically ask for Chemistry of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Exam questions are just horrible. I often find myself constantly asking other people or my teacher and I just can't do them independently. I got an A*'s in my Biology, Chemistry and Physics exams at GCSE but got a B in coursework so my overall Science GCSE grade was an A. I do Psychology A-Level which I find much more interesting and some universities, in fact quite a lot, consider it a second science along with Biology so I should be okay unless they specifically ask for Chemistry of course.
    Exam questions are just a matter of practice. I know it sounds really annoying but you do get better at them the more you do them trust me. I was absolutely hopeless and couldn't even attempt them before I started revising seriously. The trick is that once you know all of the material, you should study off mark schemes. It's so easy to lose marks on definitions cause you don't include a certain word in your answer which is underlined in the mark scheme. You can find these in the specification of your exam board or just past paper answers. Take this point seriously. Try a paper, doesn't matter what you get as it will point out the stuff you don't know so you can ask your teacher later in class. After your attempt look at the mark scheme. You may want to do this question by question so it doesn't put you off. They start becoming really repetitive after a while, so when a question similar comes up, you will definitely be able to answer it. Your GCSE marks are good so you obviously have the ability to do this. Believe in yourself and put in the effort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.