Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    When I went to the applicant day, some guides told me that they know a lot of people who have cars in their first year. Obviously students aren't allowed to park on the campus, so I was wondering if any current or past students could advise me on where I could park outside of the university or around it. Please don't advice me on not bringing a car, because I live far from the university and it takes much longer on the train. Also I'm going to be transferring stores in my current job and that will be quite a travel too. So I am really curious if there is any places I could either buy a permit to park and also those places outside of uni where everyone seems to know about.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a first year student at Royal Holloway. During my first term I hired a drive way space just off campus which I found through a website called 'just park', some are a little pricey but there are lots of cheap ones too.

The other option is to park at the back gate near Spring Rise however it's a risk, as local residents can report your car to the University as you are not technically allowed to park within a mile or so of campus. I do know people who get away with it but I also know people who have had notes left on their car and have been fined as a result.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

So I assume you're not allow to park a motorcycle on campus either?

ReputationRep:
    'Fraid not. Parking at the uni is in short supply, so they do have to limit it to people that actually need to park there, including motorbikes.

I'm not clear on whether you're planning to live on campus or commute, Lena, but uni parking permits are available for people that live outside a 1.5 mile radius of the uni (in general, if you live in Englefield Green or Egham you're within this radius, but some student housing falls outside it). There's a map on one of the walls in Founders (through the main entrance, in the corridor leading to the post room and Crosslands) that shows the catchment area.

I'm afraid I don't know of any parking areas near the uni myself (barring the car parks on the high street - ticketed - and the road coming off the high street towards the hill). There are some back roads in Englefield Green that might be passable, but really RHUL isn't a friendly place parking-wise unless you have a permit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.