Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody.

I have some questions about University.
    So, I am 19 years old. I study at the college an ESOL Course level 1.
    I have been living in London since August 2015. I want to go to University, but I still don't understand the process.
    - Which course I should do the next year ?
    - Will I can go to University if I don't have GCSE ?
    - What's an Access Course ?
    - What's better for me ? Access Course ? Or GCSE / A-LEVELS ?
    • Welcome Squad

Hey,

Personally I doubt you'd get into a course which doesn't have a GCSE English Language requirement or the need to pass an English language aptitude test if you're an international student.

The only course I'd imagine that wouldn't require maths are those that don't have any mathematical input at all i.e. statistics, and you could focus on something artsy-based e.g. art and design.

If you can, try and do your GCSE Maths and English Language and get them up to a grade C, B even to open up a lot more uni doors.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Hey,

Personally I doubt you'd get into a course which doesn't have a GCSE English Language requirement or the need to pass an English language aptitude test if you're an international student.

The only course I'd imagine that wouldn't require maths are those that don't have any mathematical input at all i.e. statistics, and you could focus on something artsy-based e.g. art and design.

If you can, try and do your GCSE Maths and English Language and get them up to a grade C, B even to open up a lot more uni doors.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancikmad)
    Hi everybody.

I have some questions about University.
    So, I am 19 years old. I study at the college an ESOL Course level 1.
    I have been living in London since August 2015. I want to go to University, but I still don't understand the process.
    - Which course I should do the next year ?
    - Will I can go to University if I don't have GCSE ?
    - What's an Access Course ?
    - What's better for me ? Access Course ? Or GCSE / A-LEVELS ?
    Hi :hi:

First thing I would ask is - what qualifications did you get in your home country, if any? If you had qualifications that would have allowed you to go to university in your home country, then it may be possible to skip Access / GCSE / A Level altogether.

You can usually find a page like this on university websites which will explain what the entry requirements are for people from other countries
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/in...c-information/
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/internationa...e/yourcountry/
    http://www.city.ac.uk/international/my-country

If you weren't in the UK when you were aged about 16, then you won't normally be expected to have GCSEs, especially if you choose to study an Access to Higher Education course. An Access to HE course is a one year course, studied at a local college, which is designed for people who have been away from education for a few years, but who want to go to university. I suspect that it would be the best route for you - it will be quicker, all UK universities accept it for almost all courses (assuming you study the right subjects and get the grades) and the tutors will be more used to supporting students with unusual backgrounds and limited knowledge of the UK higher education system. The website is here http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx and remember to always check the Access to HE course entry requirements for universities where you want to study before you choose which Access to HE course to study.

As English isn't your first language, you will also need to take an English language test to prove that your English language skills are good enough. The most common test is IELTS, and you can find the requirements for IELTS scores on each uni's website (it will vary from course to course).

It's probably worth mentioning finance at this point - it's highly likely that you will still be classified as an EU student or international student, depending on which country you're from. This is a handy little guide to identifying whether you have international or UK fee status http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...inance/status/ If you're in any doubt, get in touch with UKCISA, who are really good at helping people with these sorts of queries.

If you are classified as an...
    International student - you'll have to pay higher tuition fees, and will get no money from the UK government either for tuition fees or living costs.
    EU student - you will pay £9000 per year tuition fees and you can get a loan from the UK government to cover those costs (you only start repaying once you earn) but no money from the UK government towards your living costs.
    UK student - you will pay £9000 per year tuition fees and you can get a loan from the UK government to cover those costs (you only start repaying once you earn) and you will get a maintenance loan which will contribute towards your living costs.

Please can you tell us
    - which country you're from
    - your immigration status (e.g. EU citizen, asylum seeker, indefinite leave to remain)
    - what subject you want to study at university
    - if you got any qualifications in your home country (i.e. the equivalents of GCSEs / A Levels)
    If we know that we will be able to help you better :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.