Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I told someone about my eating disorder! Watch

Announcements

Yesterday I decided to tell people about an eating disorder I have had for quite a number of years! I had a relapse half way through my first semester at uni and it was really bad over winter and over the first few weeks back at uni it wasn't very pleasant so I decided to tell someone to see if that would help.

I feel liberated but I'm not really sure what happens now - I know I'll still have to work to become normal again and they didn't really know what would be the best thing for them to do apart from keep an eye out but I made that first step!

If anyone's debating telling somebody, please do it. It took me three attempts, ten minutes of prepping myself, three to knock on the door and another five to finally say what was happening but it's okay. I wasn't judged, the people treat me just as before and they even let me chill with them for an hour whilst we all digested what had happened. Now I feel great! Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    well done! that's a massive step. it's so helpful to let people around you know, that way they are given the chance to support you.
    best of luck with recovery x

ReputationRep:
    That's fantastic! I'm sorry you're going through something like this but you have nothing to be uncomfortable about and it will definitely help to tell people you trust about your situation, that's the first step to getting past it, also speaking to your gp and perhaps a counsellor can help, your Uni will also have resources for dealing with eating disorders so I'd also recommend you speak to them, good luck op!

That's fantastic news OP I bet it feels so good to get it off your chest.

I've confessed to 3 people at uni and I'm in 2nd year. Unfortunately they have not really followed up to see if I'm okay which has played with my trust issues again. I won't let it stop me though and I will hopefully soon find someone that I really connect with.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.