The Student Room Group

Turnitin and programming code plagiarism

I'm working on a dissertation at the moment which involves creating an android app. The submission will be done through Turnitin.

My question is: As a lot of people's coding styles may be similar, how can Turnitin or a professor differentiate between "stolen code" and legitimate work?

When I did a check of a few lines of my code in google, a lot of results came up showing almost the exact same (albeit a few variable names were changed) structure and coding style.

So now I am worried that I'm gonna get flagged up for plagiarism now because my coding style is similar to many of the programmers who upload their code on google...
If it genuinely is your own work, I wouldn't worry too much. There are only a dozen or so basic constructs in most languages and frameworks nail you down yet further. But it is your own work, any appeal would involve you talking at length and detail about why you chose certain constructs, variable names and so on. Someone who had ripped some code from elsewhere might struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending