Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should I ask him out? Watch

Announcements

there is this guy that I fancy but I don't see him very often face to face but I might be seeing him soon and I want to know what people think about me asking him out

when I've been around him before we got along great, we had good eye contact and we spent a lot of time together, like we went and spent hours chatting together not doing any work just talking about stuff

since then we chatted a few times via text and he was really flirty with me, he joked about us dating and having sex and asked if I was dating anyone and I said no so all the signs pointed to him liking me but since then he hasn't really spoken much to me it's mostly me starting the convos and he sometimes doesn't chat for long really maybe 10 mins then says bye

I don't know what to think because when we are face to face he is really the opposite he is so nice and chatty and I'm wondering if when I see him soon if things go well and we still get on really well if I should ask him out? I'm a girl so is that weird? I'm not sexist but I do prefer the guy to ask me out but I'm ok with doing it just scared he will say no and it will be awkward in the future when we have to work together

if you think I should then how should I ask? literally say "do you want to go out?" or what? I'm worried he did like me but doesn't anymore and I'm scared of making a fool out of myself

also is it weird if a girl goes to kiss a guy without asking him? he's quite shy so don't think he would ever initiate but if I went to kiss him on a date would that be weird?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Guys love it when girls initiate once in a while.

It's incredibly boring as a guy being expected to do all the 'asking out' every single time.
    My attraction for a girl increases tenfold the moment she's the one to ask me out, or when I see that she's not afraid to initiate anything.

I find girls who know exactly what they want and never hesitate to make a move very, very attractive.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    there is this guy that I fancy but I don't see him very often face to face but I might be seeing him soon and I want to know what people think about me asking him out

when I've been around him before we got along great, we had good eye contact and we spent a lot of time together, like we went and spent hours chatting together not doing any work just talking about stuff

since then we chatted a few times via text and he was really flirty with me, he joked about us dating and having sex and asked if I was dating anyone and I said no so all the signs pointed to him liking me but since then he hasn't really spoken much to me it's mostly me starting the convos and he sometimes doesn't chat for long really maybe 10 mins then says bye

I don't know what to think because when we are face to face he is really the opposite he is so nice and chatty and I'm wondering if when I see him soon if things go well and we still get on really well if I should ask him out? I'm a girl so is that weird? I'm not sexist but I do prefer the guy to ask me out but I'm ok with doing it just scared he will say no and it will be awkward in the future when we have to work together

if you think I should then how should I ask? literally say "do you want to go out?" or what? I'm worried he did like me but doesn't anymore and I'm scared of making a fool out of myself

also is it weird if a girl goes to kiss a guy without asking him? he's quite shy so don't think he would ever initiate but if I went to kiss him on a date would that be weird?

thanks
    You're getting many of the right signs so go for it. It doesn't have to be an official "date" but just for coffee or the pub.

I would say ask him out. Just make sure you take a gun.

(Original post by insert-username)
    Guys love it when girls initiate once in a while.

It's incredibly boring as a guy being expected to do all the 'asking out' every single time.
    My attraction for a girl increases tenfold the moment she's the one to ask me out, or when I see that she's not afraid to initiate anything.

I find girls who know exactly what they want and never hesitate to make a move very, very attractive.
    really? It doesn't come off as too eager or anything? do you then leave it up to the girl to decide what you do on the first date or how does it progress from there? I'm out of ideas on dates there are no cinemas near us and he isn't 18 yet to go for a drink

(Original post by Smack)
    You're getting many of the right signs so go for it. It doesn't have to be an official "date" but just for coffee or the pub.
    he's not 18 yet so pub wouldn't be possible sadly, coffee sounds great to me but do typical 17 yr old guys do that? won't he think I'm boring?
    the signs were definitely there but he claims he is like that with all his friends so I don't know how to take it really
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    he's not 18 yet so pub wouldn't be possible sadly, coffee sounds great to me but do typical 17 yr old guys do that? won't he think I'm boring?
    the signs were definitely there but he claims he is like that with all his friends so I don't know how to take it really
    Okay never knew your age(s). Kinda forgotten how things worked at that age (or, rather, never really knew in the first place).

ReputationRep:
    really? It doesn't come off as too eager or anything? do you then leave it up to the girl to decide what you do on the first date or how does it progress from there? I'm out of ideas on dates there are no cinemas near us and he isn't 18 yet to go for a drink
    No it doesn't come off as too eager. It doesn't really matter who asks who out on the date, normally when you ask someone out on a date you should already have a plan for the date ready - since asking out someone on a date is involves asking them to do something specific with you.

e.g "So would you like to grab some coffee with me and go see a movie?"

Or you ask generally "would you like to go on a date with me?" and if they say yes then they'll usually ask you what you have in mind.

However sometimes it can be nice to plan the date with the other person, so you decide what to do together.

You should be glad theres no cinema near you. I personally think a cinema is not a good first date, unless you plan to do something afterwards like go for dinner/drinks.

In a cinema you dont actually get to talk or engage with that person, which is the point of the first date. If you do have to go to the cinema and cant come up with something else, then its always best to see a good comedy so you can laugh together and talk about it after.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.