integration question Watch

studos
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Integration is not straight forward as derivatives, so it needs experience to solve it. Can anyone make a table of what are the possible situations and how to solve them?

Ie:

1) integral of product of two functions where one is the derivative of the other
2) integral of product of two functions where .....

etc

thanks!
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by studos)
Integration is not straight forward as derivatives, so it needs experience to solve it. Can anyone make a table of what are the possible situations and how to solve them?

Ie:

1) integral of product of two functions where one is the derivative of the other
2) integral of product of two functions where .....

etc

thanks!
give an example as I am not sure what exactly you want
NotLandau
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You may be interested in the Risch algortihm.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NotLandau)
You may be interested in the Risch algortihm.

Probably not.

(Original post by TeeEm)
give an example as I am not sure what exactly you want
He wants a checklist to go through so he knows what technique to use. IBP, substitution for something else.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
Probably not.

He wants a checklist to go through so he knows what technique to use. IBP, substitution for something else.
all yours then ...
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
all yours then ...
You're the teacher. Don't you have a resource with the common type of A level integration techniques listed? I just stare at the problem and hope for the best. Generally I'm okay.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
You're the teacher. Don't you have a resource with the common type of A level integration techniques listed? I just stare at the problem and hope for the best. Generally I'm okay.
integration is an art !!
not a flow chart ...
WhiteGroupMaths
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I usually advise students to contemplate the possibility of employing easier direct methods before considering substitution or integration by parts. Just because an integral looks sophisticated doesn't mean you need to sacrifice half of all available brain cells. Hope this is useful. Peace.

http://www.whitegroupmaths.com/2010/...t-dreaded.html
maggiehodgson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
integration is an art !!
not a flow chart ...
How do online integrators work? Surely there MUST be an algorithm/flowchart.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
How do online integrators work? Surely there MUST be an algorithm/flowchart.
humans are not line integrators ... and that is why humans can integrate expressions which a computer fails
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
humans are not line integrators ... and that is why humans can integrate expressions which a computer fails

I suppose that's true but for the ones they can integrate there must be a set of instructions musn't there. It would be interesting to know for us, who don't have the art, but also understanding that we cannot progress any further than painting by numbers.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maggiehodgson)
I suppose that's true but for the ones they can integrate there must be a set of instructions musn't there. It would be interesting to know for us, who don't have the art, but also understanding that we cannot progress any further than painting by numbers.
I sincerely cannot help.
maggiehodgson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
I sincerely cannot help.
It doesn't matter. I just joined in the conversation because I too have also often wished for a set of rules. I suppose question, question and more question does the trick in due course.

Thanks for your replies. The quest for the "Holy Grail" can stop now. hahaha
Ayman!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please practice instead of memorising a set of instructions. That way techniques will come intuitively and you won't have to refer to a memorised flowchart. Maybe take a look at a few worked examples to get an idea?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (297)
32%
The paper was reasonable (439)
47.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (114)
12.28%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
8.41%

Watched Threads