Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I live in the Borders and will have to travel to Edinburgh (Merchiston Castle School) next week to do my STEP exams. I was wondering if anyone else has done STEP in Scotland (I know that others certainly do) and where they had to sit the papers.

Although Cambridge itself doesn't have an access problem, it is for reasons that a potential hundred mile round trip (twice, possibly) to sit entry exams is a bit off-putting to Scottish students.

(STEP must be taken at an OCR centre - most Scottish schools are SQA, though some independent schools are OCR, but they're not located conveniently for everyone)

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - good luck with the STEP, I hope it all goes well for you.

I don't have any real advice, I'm sorry, as I don't know anyone who has had to sit the exam, but would it be worth getting a letter written and sent away to Cambridge University, detailling the logistics of it all and pointing out that it doesn't bode well for their Access schemes?

It might not benefit you directly, but it could be worthwhile if they take note and make things easier for others to come.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the STEP Which subject do you have an offer for?
    I agree a letter might be a good idea. I think they should in this kind of situation let you sit it at an SQA establishment. It's a bit ridiculous to ask people to travel so far for some paper. (It would be a nightmare for me! Only one private school in even several hours drive I think).

Where abouts in Scotland are you btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Where abouts in Scotland are you btw?
    I'm in the Borders. That means a 50 mile trip to Edinburgh for the STEP papers.

My offer is for Maths with Physics at Cambridge.

And you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm up north past Inverness . So about four hours away if I had to go to Edinburgh .

Congrats on your offer. What college is it from?

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.