Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HL IB courses --> Bio, Chem, Phyisics and Math Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, so I'm going to choose my (grade 11) courses soon and need help from students who have been in these courses. What is the course/work load like for these:

HL Bio 3UE
    HL Chem 3UE
    HL Physics 3UE
    HL Math 4U1

I want to take all of them because it will help me for university (like advanced placement and stuff) but a lot of people have told me that I shouldn't because I will burnout and won't be able to keep good marks in my subjects, although I haven't talked to many students who actually took those courses.

Thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Some people do take 4 HL's and still manage. However, I wouldn't suggest taking all four of the HL subjects you've listed. The reason is that the jump from SL to HL is quite big for all natural science subjects and maths. I myself took HL Chem and thought it wasn't too difficult and reckon its easier to score a 7 in compared to subjects such as HL Bio (I've heard HL bio is quite rigorous, a lot of memorizing). HL physics requires less memorizing but more practicing and hence is less time consuming IMO. I've heard that HL maths is quite difficult but would certainly be worth it if your considering science, maths or engineering related subjects in uni. All in all, it really depends on what subject your planning to undertake in uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.