Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(girls) swimming and periods? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    girls do you swim whilst you have a period? I swim 3 times a week and usually a tampon is okay but this week my cramps are really bad so i haven't gone, what are your thoughts on swimming on your period?

ReputationRep:
    I'd take some painkillers if it's that bad and go swimming.

ReputationRep:
    Really I find it disgusting to go swimming whilst on my periods. It's why I avoid swimming because I find the whole idea just unhygienic that's my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    girls do you swim whilst you have a period? I swim 3 times a week and usually a tampon is okay but this week my cramps are really bad so i haven't gone, what are your thoughts on swimming on your period?
    Wouldn't want a stream of blood following me as I swim... Just wait til the periods finished

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What if Jaws smelt the blood :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    i never swim when im on my period. I wear pads not tampons but i wouldn't risk it. Also i wouldn't want to be in the same pool as someone who is bleeding out of their vagina so i dont do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    Wouldn't want a stream of blood following me as I swim... Just wait til the periods finished

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally impossible even if you don't wear a tampon.

ReputationRep:
    I was a competitive swimmer and I always just wore a tampon. You don't really bleed much (or at all) in water anyway really, I found. I had a really heavy period a few weeks ago and I was quite paranoid but literally it's like the water... Stops it? I mean when you're in the bath blood never comes out either, so. Anyway, it's fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    What if Jaws smelt the blood :eek4:
    In the swimming pool? :yikes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    In the swimming pool? :yikes:
    Everyone's childhood fear - don't deny it!

ReputationRep:
    I thought girls front bums couldn't leak when they're under water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    I thought girls front bums couldn't leak when they're under water
    front bums? wtf is that?

ReputationRep:
    I would not advise swimming without a tampon.

It is true that many women (depends on how heavy their periods are) find the pressure of the water stops the flow in the bath, but swimming is substantially more energetic than sitting in the bath and exercise increases the rate of flow. It's not fair to risk it in a public swimming pool.

From a personal embarrassment point of view, as opposed to public hygiene, when you get up out of the water and there is no longer that pressure holding it back, there will be a gush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I was a competitive swimmer and I always just wore a tampon. You don't really bleed much (or at all) in water anyway really, I found. I had a really heavy period a few weeks ago and I was quite paranoid but literally it's like the water... Stops it? I mean when you're in the bath blood never comes out either, so. Anyway, it's fine!
    Yeah, that's true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I mean when you're in the bath blood never comes out either, so.
    No, not true at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    No, not true at all.
    Does that happen to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggie43)
    Does that happen to you
    Yes, every time. It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I have been swimming with a tampon but I see how I feel when I'm on my period, gentle exercise helps but there's no harm in cutting yourself some slack and skipping a workout if you don't feel up to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    front bums? wtf is that?
    Your vag basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    Your vag basically
    oh okay thanks for clearing, Prince fancybum

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.