Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriends mum is driving me crazy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A bit of background: I've been with my boyfriend for four years now. He moved out of his family home about 9 months ago to live an hour away in the city.

My boyfriend is the youngest of three children and has always been the "baby" but he is fully independent on his own.

His mum calls him every day. Every time we are together I can 100% confirm that she calls him about something. Even when we were younger and he would come to my house for an hour or so she would call him about stuff that could of waited until he was back to talk about.

Yesterday my boyfriend and I had dinner plans at a restaurant after the three of us were shopping in town but we had to cancel because we had to walk her back to her car (about 20 min walk) because she didn't want to put the gate key through his letterbox!

It's just a lot of little things like this that happen every week.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, it sounds like your bf and his mom have a close relationship. How long do the phone calls last? If it is just a quick call then I really wouldn't worry about it. Some moms don't text and prefer just to call. One thing for sure is that if your bf has a good relationship with his mom don't put him in the position to chose because it ultimately won't be you he chooses. If his mom only makes brief contact and it is not repetitive (like 4-5 times each time your with him) then I'd say just learn to deal with it. If the conversations are long or repetitive you're going to have to discuss it with him. The saying that you marry not just the man but the whole family is very true. It is true with dating as well. Not everyone has a good relationship with their parents - in this case his mom. But what this shows is that he is someone who cares for family and will treat you the same way as relationships are important to him.
    I agree that moms do annoying things but is the drama that will be caused between you and your boyfriend and you and his mom worth it if you bring it up. Of course you can say something to your bf but I wouldn't harp on it unless you just can't take it and she is overbearing. As far as missing your dinner plans to walk her to her car that is unfortunate, for sure. If this is a one time thing just let it go but if it is a pattern then you'll need to address it. So, I guess what I'm saying is if they are all just small annoyances but you in general like his mom and care for your boyfriend don't harp and let it go. If, however, she is overbearing and too controlling then you have to decide what you are willing to put up with. You can ask him to tell her to stop but you will be the source of friction in their eyes so be aware of that. Good luck.

(Original post by Missdanse)
    A bit of background: I've been with my boyfriend for four years now. He moved out of his family home about 9 months ago to live an hour away in the city.

My boyfriend is the youngest of three children and has always been the "baby" but he is fully independent on his own.

His mum calls him every day. Every time we are together I can 100% confirm that she calls him about something. Even when we were younger and he would come to my house for an hour or so she would call him about stuff that could of waited until he was back to talk about.

Yesterday my boyfriend and I had dinner plans at a restaurant after the three of us were shopping in town but we had to cancel because we had to walk her back to her car (about 20 min walk) because she didn't want to put the gate key through his letterbox!

It's just a lot of little things like this that happen every week.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Wow. I'm the youngest of three children, and if my mother behaved in this way and annoyed my girlfriend this much, I'd tell her in the nicest possible way to piss off.

No offence, Mum, if you're reading this!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.