Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you giving anything up for lent? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to give up dairy! I've been trying for the past month but might go cold turkey for 40 days in preparation for all the easter eggs I wanna consume.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't really believe in lent, but need to get ready for a big event and want to support my friends, so I am giving up carbs and not-going-to-the-gym lol.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Feeding trolls on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    I don't really believe in lent, but need to get ready for a big event and want to support my friends, so I am giving up carbs and not-going-to-the-gym lol.
    I get the modern dietary rationale for cutting carbs but long term it makes little sense and is bad for your body's metabolism.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I get the modern dietary rationale for cutting carbs but long term it makes little sense and is bad for your body's metabolism.
    It's for an event that is in the very near future. But thanks!

Coffee and something else that's not suitable to discuss hehe

ReputationRep:
    It's for an event that is in the very near future. But thanks!
    as in an event you want to lose weight for or cutting carbs is part of the event?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    Coffee and something else that's not suitable to discuss hehe
    40 days and 40 nights?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not religious, so Lent isn't something I take part in

ReputationRep:
    Tea Got a slight addiction to it and it's very bad for me since I can't drink it without sugar!

Edit: I'm not religious but seeing other people participate gives me motivation to try it so that I can cut back on how much I have even after lent.

40 days and 40 nights?
    I know, when you say it like that it's probably doomed to fail......

ReputationRep:
    swimming with stingrays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    No, I'm not religious, so Lent isn't something I take part in
    I'm not religious but I usually do it to challenge myself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    as in an event you want to lose weight for or cutting carbs is part of the event?
    For several reasons :yes:.

ReputationRep:
    For several reasons :yes:.
    Okay. Just trying to impress that cutting carbs should be treated with the cynicism it deserves for what it does to the body and mind.

Okay. Just trying to impress that cutting carbs should be treated with the cynicism it deserves for what it does to the body and mind.
    Mind? I understand cutting carbs helps fast weight loss but I didn't know it had any impact on the mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    Mind? I understand cutting carbs helps fast weight loss but I didn't know it had any impact on the mind.
    our brains run off of glucose as the preferred energy source.

and in terms of 'mind'- depriving your whole body of it's preferred source of energy messes up your perception of food and denies primal senses which is not good for your mind or relationship with food.

just my opinion though.

It helps fast weight loss but is rarely sustainable and I would only suggest it if people have issues with blood sugar, are extremely obese, or are planning to do it forever. Low carb helps people shed weight due to glycogen and water loss and then the fat burning mode. But once you resume eating carbs guess what? it happens all too often and is why the entire diet industry is a scam and why 99% of diets fail long-term.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your concern but it really isn't needed here. :nah:.

Back to lent anyway....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your concern but it really isn't needed here. :nah:.

Back to lent anyway....
    There are no rules as to when concern is or is not needed. A forum is about responding to things with your opinions, essentially.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.