Mr.Fellows
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!

When people say to revise using Bitesize for mathematics and English when you go onto the PRTC at Halton, it sounds silly, but what stage do I revise? GCSE or KS3/2/1?

Thanks again!
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr.Fellows)
Hello!

When people say to revise using Bitesize for mathematics and English when you go onto the PRTC at Halton, it sounds silly, but what stage do I revise? GCSE or KS3/2/1?

Thanks again!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zqhs34j - You want to look mainly at the Number topic, but having a glance over other stuff is worth while also

English you don't really need to revise much for. I remember just having to write a letter or something like that. Just have a quick look at this if you want - http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z3kw2hv
Mr.Fellows
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryan9900)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zqhs34j - You want to look mainly at the Number topic, but having a glance over other stuff is worth while also

English you don't really need to revise much for. I remember just having to write a letter or something like that. Just have a quick look at this if you want - http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z3kw2hv
Yeah I checked that out but then I asked my ex girlfriend (long story but she's helping because she got in too) and she pointed me to the functional skills page on the RAF website which tells you exactly what topics I need revision for!
london2016
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had PreRTC a few days ago.

Even though im pretty good with my numbers and English there were a few things that made me pause for a few seconds so my advice, simply based on what I experienced a few days back is:
1. go over calculating areas such as Length, Width, Height, Volume, meters squared etc
2. percentages of numbers
3. Decimals and Fractions
4. Division and times tables

The English Functional skills are pretty easy if you've passed your GCSE English.

Advice:
Have fun on the fitness test. The Ex-army PTI is a good laugh, just don't get on the wrong side of him. Also don't worry much about the fitness, they require you to do the MINIMAL pass mark on bleep test, push-ups and sit-ups. They will literally STOP you once you have reached the minimum pass so don't be a hero and go for level 12 because you'll be the only person still running.
Speak to the other recruits who are on phase 1 training there its really your only chance to speak to serving phase 1 recruits in person and get a good idea of what to expect as well as what little to do to prepare yourself.
Mr.Fellows
Rep:
?
Hey!
Thanks for the advice it's great! I'll look up those for mathematics but what did you do for English? someone said they wrote a letter, but that was a while ago. Yeah I'm absolutely buzzing to start! I'm not worried about my medical or fitness so bring on PRTC!
london2016
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No probs buddy, whats your trade?
For the English theres two parts. The first is 3/4 separate texts that describe something, either an activity or whatever it may be for you guys if they change it by then. But whatever it is, basically you have to read the information and answer things like "Which article best describes the beneifts of eating carrots, give an example to support your answer" and then you say "text C because it is an article from a health magazine describing the health benefits of fruit and veg. As it states "carrots are awesome....blah blah blash...."

Simply stuff to be fair.
The second part of the english is an exercise in expressing yourself through writting and may be something like "write an article based on the information in the story provided and explain why you do or dont support their point of view"
Mr.Fellows
Rep:
?
I applied for Avionics! What have you applied for?
Ohhh ok then that's not too bad then, I just need to keep an eye on my grammar on the day then haha. I have my medical Tuesday so I went swimming today, relax until Tuesday, then straight back into my cardio and fitness! I get to chose a date for my fitness don't I? As when it suits me best
Mr.Fellows
Rep:
?
Also if you know, I heard if you fail either your English or mathematics at the PRTC, then you haven't failed right? I read that you go to basic training a few days before hands and redo the failed test again. Is that right? I hope so because it's slightly less pressure then haha.
Amarmtro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Somewhat hijacking this thread, but do the functional skills have any speaking and listening, or any part of prtc or halton its self have speaking/listening exams? for some reason I suck at like exam or class speaking stuff, so a heads up to prepare would be great
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Amarmtro)
Somewhat hijacking this thread, but do the functional skills have any speaking and listening, or any part of prtc or halton its self have speaking/listening exams? for some reason I suck at like exam or class speaking stuff, so a heads up to prepare would be great
I think you have to do a presentation for like 30 seconds on a topic or something? You get loads of time/help to prep if needed, only a few of you in the room. Basically just being able to talk and even the guys that i thought were horrific still passed!

It's something you best get used to, as you are promoted and depending on trade speaking in front of large groups of people including senior officers with sometimes minimal prep is common place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed