Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an Italian undergraduate student planning to study in the UK the following year. I have applied for many postagraduate courses in the finance and investment/ financial management field. To decide wich University I will attend next year I am trying to gather some information. Does anybody of you know wich Uni is better to attend for postgraduate taught courses in the finance field between the Uni of Surrey, Uni of Exeter, Uni of Greenwich and Middlesex University?

Thank you,

Marco.

ReputationRep:
    Out of those 4, Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    I second Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcozanandrea)
    Hi everyone,

I am an Italian undergraduate student planning to study in the UK the following year. I have applied for many postagraduate courses in the finance and investment/ financial management field. To decide wich University I will attend next year I am trying to gather some information. Does anybody of you know wich Uni is better to attend for postgraduate taught courses in the finance field between the Uni of Surrey, Uni of Exeter, Uni of Greenwich and Middlesex University?

Thank you,

Marco.
    Hey Marco!

The University of Greenwich, has recently been ranked as one of the top 3 universities to study accounting and finance according to the Guardian university league tables (see link) (http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/acc/accfin).

Another factor to consider is that after completing the course, prospective employers include JP Morgan, First City Merchant bank and many more.

The University of Greenwich has been ranked as one of the 'worlds most international universities'. 32% of their students are from countries across the world. In the recent National student survey, 86% of students said they were satisfied with the quality of their degree.

I am a current student at the University of Greenwich studying a Business course and have many friends who study finance who thoroughly enjoy the course. The teachers are very helpful and there are a lot of online resources they have available for us students to access when writing assignments or studying for exams.

Hope this was helpful.

Devi
    Student from the Business school @ The University of Greenwich.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Marco.
    depending on your strength as a candidate I'd recommend:

Competitive candidate
    - London Business School
    - LSE
    - SBS (oxford)
    - Imperial College Business School
    - Warwick Business School
    Ignoring league tables these five are easily englands strongest business schools (they do pretty well globally too).

Average Candidate
    - UCL (lacks a business school but its a target university)
    - Manchester Business School
    - Cranfield School of Managment
    - Cass Business School.

Your choices
    Of your choices the only decent ones are Exeter/surrey. Greenwich/middlesex are absolutely terrible particularly in corporate finance where the reputation of your department actually means something.

TL;DR - Of your options Exeter>surrey>other 2 are garbage. But there are much better alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    depending on your strength as a candidate I'd recommend:

Competitive candidate
    - London Business School
    - LSE
    - SBS (oxford)
    - Imperial College Business School
    - Warwick Business School
    Ignoring league tables these five are easily englands strongest business schools (they do pretty well globally too).

Average Candidate
    - UCL (lacks a business school but its a target university)
    - Manchester Business School
    - Cranfield School of Managment
    - Cass Business School.

Your choices
    Of your choices the only decent ones are Exeter/surrey. Greenwich/middlesex are absolutely terrible particularly in corporate finance where the reputation of your department actually means something.

TL;DR - Of your options Exeter>surrey>other 2 are garbage. But there are much better alternatives.
    Hi! Thank you for your tips, they are really helpful. I have already checked the uni that you suggest but they are out of the league for me in terms of entry requirments, fees and also location because I would like to study near the London's area. I am really fascinated by Surrey, the campus looks great and also the ranking is really high. Also Greenwich looks really nice even though the ranking is not very high, but you know... ranking can change during years.
    Thank you again for your suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeviLakha)
    Hey Marco!

The University of Greenwich, has recently been ranked as one of the top 3 universities to study accounting and finance according to the Guardian university league tables (see link) (http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/acc/accfin).

Another factor to consider is that after completing the course, prospective employers include JP Morgan, First City Merchant bank and many more.

The University of Greenwich has been ranked as one of the 'worlds most international universities'. 32% of their students are from countries across the world. In the recent National student survey, 86% of students said they were satisfied with the quality of their degree.

I am a current student at the University of Greenwich studying a Business course and have many friends who study finance who thoroughly enjoy the course. The teachers are very helpful and there are a lot of online resources they have available for us students to access when writing assignments or studying for exams.

Hope this was helpful.

Devi
    Student from the Business school @ The University of Greenwich.
    Hi Devi, I really appreciate it I have been once in Greenwich and I really liked the location and, of course, the Uni. The only thing that I am worry about is the ranking; in fact, despite the other Uni that I am valuing, Greenwich hasn't got a very high ranking.

Marco.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you for your tips, they are really helpful. I have already checked the uni that you suggest but they are out of the league for me in terms of entry requirments, fees and also location because I would like to study near the London's area. I am really fascinated by Surrey, the campus looks great and also the ranking is really high. Also Greenwich looks really nice even though the ranking is not very high, but you know... ranking can change during years.
    Thank you again for your suggestions
    Ranking can change over the years, and are frankly a joke and should not be used seriously (latest domestic tables show universities like surrey being greater than the likes of UCL, ICL and LSE the UKs most prestigious unis after oxbridge) but reputation can take several generations to change/establish this is something Greenwich totally lacks. In terms of your choices Exeter is the best choice but Surrey is also an excellent option (relative to your other choices). I would say go where you enjoy but this is not an undergraduate degree its an MSc; in finance no less. You're shelling out a serious amount of cash to progress your career the departmental reputation/links in finance are more important than where you would enjoy staying/have more fun/whatever.

I also believe you have the entry requirements for birkbeck business school which would probably be better for a career in finance than your other options due to its London location, UoL membership and being an established business school.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, after applying to medicine, I have decided to change to Accounting and finance and will apply through ucas extra. I am predicted A* math A* bio A chem and A* french in A level. I was wondering if warwick university will be in ucas extra? if they are, should i apply there or to cass as i would prefer to stay in london since my gf, all my friends are there and i really enjoy the london life. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malcolmDR)
    Hey guys, after applying to medicine, I have decided to change to Accounting and finance and will apply through ucas extra. I am predicted A* math A* bio A chem and A* french in A level. I was wondering if warwick university will be in ucas extra? if they are, should i apply there or to cass as i would prefer to stay in london since my gf, all my friends are there and i really enjoy the london life. Thanks!
    I'd recommend taking a year out and reapplying to LSE. Its in london and the only uk unis that even compare are oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend taking a year out and reapplying to LSE. Its in london and the only uk unis that even compare are oxbridge.
    I would but parents dont want me to.. and i also dont have any work experience. I am also not guaranteed to get in next year so my parents think its a waste of a year...

ReputationRep:
    I would but parents dont want me to.. and i also dont have any work experience. I am also not guaranteed to get in next year so my parents think its a waste of a year...
    Certainly not a waste, you can get relevant exp in that year. You also have Oxbridge open to you. It's a year but rather a year wasted applying to these 3 and having a long hard think about what you want to do and why. Saves you going to a subpar uni for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not a waste, you can get relevant exp in that year. You also have Oxbridge open to you. It's a year but rather a year wasted applying to these 3 and having a long hard think about what you want to do and why. Saves you going to a subpar uni for 3 years.
    But is there really a big difference for the future if i go to warwick or cass instead of going to places such as UCL and maybe lse but seems very hard to get in to

ReputationRep:
    But is there really a big difference for the future if i go to warwick or cass instead of going to places such as UCL and maybe lse but seems very hard to get in to
    There is a big difference in LSE>others not so much UCL.

WBS is an excellent second choice to LSE but again not on the same level + its not in london so i'm not really sure you'd enjoy 3 years there.

CASS is good but id say the gap year is more valuable than going to CASS.

ReputationRep:
    There is a big difference in LSE>others not so much UCL.

WBS is an excellent second choice to LSE but again not on the same level + its not in london so i'm not really sure you'd enjoy 3 years there.

CASS is good but id say the gap year is more valuable than going to CASS.
    Its all about, what are my chances of getting in into lse to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Its all about, what are my chances of getting in into lse to be honest.
    With your grades and a year to get experience? Incredibly high imo

ReputationRep:
    really? do you people that got into lse? if you do, do you know their grades, and the kind of work experience they did?
    I would love to reapply to the top uni because i always want the best, but my parents hate the idea of waiting another year and i dont know how to convince them.

ReputationRep:
    really? do you people that got into lse? if you do, do you know their grades, and the kind of work experience they did?
    I would love to reapply to the top uni because i always want the best, but my parents hate the idea of waiting another year and i dont know how to convince them.
    Yeah i know people with AAA-ABB that got into LSE with no experience.

Regarding your parents mine were the same and didn't let me take a year out to reapply to Cambridge/Imperial after I had achieved much better A levels than I was predicted, and pretty much forced me to go Manchester (still a great Uni) with 2 A*s. I'm going to Imperial next year for my masters but will always regret not being able to take that year out to at least try at undergrad (Like you I loved London, I thought Cambridge was the only place i'd leave London for and wish I got to spend 3 years studying in South Kennsington close to my girlfriend/friends.)

In summary I know tonnes of average students who got into LSE and have had the same problem as you regarding parents. You have a good shot at getting into LSE and have to explain to your parents its only 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    Ranking can change over the years, and are frankly a joke and should not be used seriously (latest domestic tables show universities like surrey being greater than the likes of UCL, ICL and LSE the UKs most prestigious unis after oxbridge) but reputation can take several generations to change/establish this is something Greenwich totally lacks. In terms of your choices Exeter is the best choice but Surrey is also an excellent option (relative to your other choices). I would say go where you enjoy but this is not an undergraduate degree its an MSc; in finance no less. You're shelling out a serious amount of cash to progress your career the departmental reputation/links in finance are more important than where you would enjoy staying/have more fun/whatever.

I also believe you have the entry requirements for birkbeck business school which would probably be better for a career in finance than your other options due to its London location, UoL membership and being an established business school.
    Yes, you are right. In fact I am considering Birbeck and also the Uni of Essex because it has interesting Finance courses. I agree also with the fact of the Universities reputation but I think that with a postgraduate degree in finance it is likely to find a good job regardeless the University. Most of the UK's Uni are well ranked, well organized and with good occupational perspective. But, of course, if I can choose between Universities I would decide the best one for my future.
    What would you choose between Birbeck and Surrey?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are right. In fact I am considering Birbeck and also the Uni of Essex because it has interesting Finance courses. I agree also with the fact of the Universities reputation but I think that with a postgraduate degree in finance it is likely to find a good job regardeless the University. Most of the UK's Uni are well ranked, well organized and with good occupational perspective. But, of course, if I can choose between Universities I would decide the best one for my future.
    What would you choose between Birbeck and Surrey?
    I would choose Birkbeck simply due to its UoL status. London is one of the worlds most important financial hubs, for finance you want to be here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.