The Student Room Group

Additional Member System

Should England adopt AMS? Why?Why AMS is capable of replacing FPTP?Reference would be appreciated!
Many thanks!
I believe the AMS is a compromise between those who support PR and those who support FPTP and believe it is the right way forward. It works in Scottish Parliament but my concerns would be how it would work in larger parliaments like Westminster.
Reply 2
AMS is basically FPTP plus regional lists (i think you know this already)

basically under AMS the regional lists give parties discriminated against under FPTP top-up votes
Therefore, I don't think that AMS can replace FPTP because the two major parties benefit from FPTP and AMS doesn't really help them; it helps smaller parties, so it's not beneficial to them, so they won't change it

However, to make smaller parties have greater representation England should adopt AMS because the electorate will have more choice (more parties with the similar ideologies as them) and their votes won't be wasted.

However, people can get confused with having to vote twice and in Parliament there might be hostility between FPTP representatives and regional list representatives. As seen in Scotland and Wales (they are seen as second-class).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending