Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to be a good gf when you're depressed Watch

Announcements

I suffer with multiple mental health issues including depression. I'm really worried because it's already putting a strain on my relatioship with this guy. We've known and really liked each other for months but have only been dating a few weeks and we've already had two big... fights? (not really fights but idk how else to explain it)

Both of these issues have been directly because of my mental health issues. We don't see each other irl so we talk all the time and on bad days I don't know how seem upbeat or happy without lying about how I feel, but I don't want to complain all the time. "hey how are you?" "well tbh I'd rather not be alive..." Maybe we should just not talk when I'm feeling down? I just don't think that sounds like much of a solution...

We do talk openly about my issues but I don't want to constantly lower the tone.

I don't know how to love him the way he deserves to be loved when I always feel like crap. What do I do??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have depression and am in a long term relationship so may be able to help.
    First off, are you on antidepressants and/or having counselling? These things really help. When I was at my worst (convinced I was going to kill myself etc) we were in an LDR and whenever I felt this way he would FaceTime or call me and talk to me about how I'm feeling and why etc. If you don't feel like it's helping when he talks to you then maybe spend some time on your own when you're feeling low, or try not to talk about it if you don't want to.

But if you haven't been to the GP you really need to, because this won't go away on its own and it's their job to help you get better. Antidepressants can take a month or so to kick in but when they do it's really worth it. PM me if you want to talk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.