The Student Room Group

Wicked (The Musical)

Scroll to see replies

11 days until I go :excited::excited:

I only realised it was so soon earlier :blush:
18 days for me... Unless I go before (still undecided on it, depends who I can find to introduce to Wicked).
1 day! Tomorroowww, tomooorrrowww, I love ya, tommoorrrrowww! You're only a day away! Yay! And DanielWhit, I'm running out of people too! I can drag my dad along next time and after that I have no-one left! *sadface*
I may just start going by myself :teeth:
^^^^ I'll come with youuuuu :top:
THIS is why I adore Julia Murney as Elphaba....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwCkdPTYvI

I'm not laughing at Kendra, I'm laughing at Julia's grimaces of pain! :biggrin:
in reply to misaacheydenk from the other musicals thread,

i had nicole as elphaba but honestlt cant remember who i had for glinda (my programme is in my uni house atm)
i thought glinda was superb: her voice was stunning and so beautiful and she hit all the notes so brilliantly. her soprano voice is perfect for the role
nicole is relly good too actually. she really reminds me of idina too (not sure if thats a pro or con). i definitely prefer the broadway version. plus teh set is massive. sweet bejaysus. i think i needed to use all my peripheral vision to see it lol.
diamonddust
THIS is why I adore Julia Murney as Elphaba....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwCkdPTYvI

I'm not laughing at Kendra, I'm laughing at Julia's grimaces of pain! :biggrin:

I love this ... esp when Kendra grabs Julia and flings them both backwards.
DOnt really like Kendra's Glinda singing voice though :confused:
Nora-FNE
I love this ... esp when Kendra grabs Julia and flings them both backwards.
DOnt really like Kendra's Glinda singing voice though :confused:

Kendra has the strongest belt of any Glinda, ever. While most Glindas would take the end of 'Thank Goodness' in head voice, Kendra belts it and it sounds amazing. Dianne's started doing it a bit, too, which is nice.
Boq Dillamond
Kendra has the strongest belt of any Glinda, ever. While most Glindas would take the end of 'Thank Goodness' in head voice, Kendra belts it and it sounds amazing. Dianne's started doing it a bit, too, which is nice.

Yes I do agree she does have quite a belt. I think most Glinda's leave it to the Elphaba actress to BELT the big numbers out (TWAI, DG, NGD etc).

What I mean is I dont think she has the correct voice for Glinda (not that there is any right or wrong). For me, its too rusty for the character - like not airey fairy enough..
....then again comparing to Cheno and Dianne It is actually a refreshing difference
I've just got back! OMFG Kerry was amazing!
I might do a full review later. Just doing the highlights lol

TWAI- Someone in the dayseats started a huge applause which didn't catch on, I was the only one on my side of the theatre who clapped. Kerry blew the house down! I was clapping like a madman at the end because it was so amazing!

Kerry and Dianne cried a bit in FG for some reason which almost set me off. Defying Gravity-I cannot express how amazing it was. Oh and she did her 'solo' riff!

Thank Goodness got me pretty emotional for some reason. I think it's because I was like 'oh no, it's the start of the second act, It's going to end soon!'

NGD pretty much made me fall off my chair with the power. Everything just seemed so much more amazing because I haven't seen it in a while. But **** Kerry was epic.

ALAYM- Kerry and Ollie seemed to have better chemistry! I could actually believe that they were in love this time!

My cousin came half an hour late but says wicked was 'ok' and my mum didn't understand it and she kept asking me questions during the quiet bits and she didn't even bother clapping at the end! :mad:

She did get my a Wicked hoody (which I'm wearing now) and pay for the tickets so I can't be too annoyed.

Stagedooring- I shall post later!
francescarella
in reply to misaacheydenk from the other musicals thread,

i had nicole as elphaba but honestlt cant remember who i had for glinda (my programme is in my uni house atm)
i thought glinda was superb: her voice was stunning and so beautiful and she hit all the notes so brilliantly. her soprano voice is perfect for the role
nicole is relly good too actually. she really reminds me of idina too (not sure if thats a pro or con). i definitely prefer the broadway version. plus teh set is massive. sweet bejaysus. i think i needed to use all my peripheral vision to see it lol.

I think that sounds like Alli Mauzey as Glinda, her voice is really something. I loved the show on Broadway, the Gershwin stage is a big smaller than the Apollo Victoria, so everything seems to have a little bit more impact, if that makes sense.

diamonddust, did Kerry stay long at the stage door? I was sat behind her at So Jest End, which was in Charring Cross and started at 11, so I thought she must have ducked out of Wicked somewhat sharpish!
misaachaydenk
I think that sounds like Alli Mauzey as Glinda, her voice is really something. I loved the show on Broadway, the Gershwin stage is a big smaller than the Apollo Victoria, so everything seems to have a little bit more impact, if that makes sense.

diamonddust, did Kerry stay long at the stage door? I was sat behind her at So Jest End, which was in Charring Cross and started at 11, so I thought she must have ducked out of Wicked somewhat sharpish!

No she didn't stay long at all. She basically went down the queue like picture, :biggrin: and a two second chat. Then she hopped into a cab with Mr. Kerry,(sorry Boq, it had to be stolen)! The queue wasn't even very long.
On the subject of Mr. Kerry, I have a semi embarrassing story but I'll tell it later lol
And So Jest End? Is that like Forbidden Broadway?
Yeah, a British version by Garry Lake, I saw it in October last year and yesterday, it's improved but it's not as well written or thought out as Forbidden Broadway.
My Cousin saw it for the first time - & found it really boring
Was at Kerry's leaving performance last July and I've got tickets for her final performance on 9th May :frown: But it should be amazing. The riffing at her last leaving performance was absolutely exceptional, not just her's, but is Oliver Tompsett still doing his "up that I fell" riff??

Also, everyone go and see Cabaret (touring), Samantha Barks is amazing and it's a great show :smile:
Cast change = 15 days away guys :eek: :eek3: :eek: what the hell??

Diamonddust = I know exactly what you mean during ThankGoodness. I always feel that during shows I like a lot. Esp Wicked though ... I dont know why they dont give a warning when the second half is about to start before ther interval.
Its also nice to see Kerry& Oli are acting lovey dovey during ALAYM .- hope they do that on the next (and last) time I see it with Kerry.

I found a facebook group called: Get Dianne Pilkington as the lead in Legally Blonde the musical.:rolleyes: ... I think she'd do really well.
Nora-FNE
Cast change = 15 days away guys :eek: :eek3: :eek: what the hell??

Diamonddust = I know exactly what you mean during ThankGoodness. I always feel that during shows I like a lot. Esp Wicked though ... I dont know why they dont give a warning when the second half is about to start before ther interval.
Its also nice to see Kerry& Oli are acting lovey dovey during ALAYM .- hope they do that on the next (and last) time I see it with Kerry.

I found a facebook group called: Get Dianne Pilkington as the lead in Legally Blonde the musical.:rolleyes: ... I think she'd do really well.

Oh God, is it really 15 Days, I can't wait. I really hope there is less screaming though last time! Just because they started as she was holding notes, and you truly couldn't appreciate her vocal. I love their ALAYM and their acting really makes it for me, especially Oli's riffing throughout it!

Shame about Dianne, Sheridan Smith is confirmed now. Although i think she will be great.

I'm not sure if I am about to make a scandalous claim here. But I HATE JULIA MURNEY. Discuss....
Reply 1398
diamonddust
No she didn't stay long at all. She basically went down the queue like picture, :biggrin: and a two second chat. Then she hopped into a cab with Mr. Kerry,(sorry Boq, it had to be stolen)! The queue wasn't even very long.
On the subject of Mr. Kerry, I have a semi embarrassing story but I'll tell it later lol
And So Jest End? Is that like Forbidden Broadway?

That's exactly like when I went :L Except I don't have an embarrassing story with Mr Kerry, which I'm assuming is a good thing...
bigforehead
I'm not sure if I am about to make a scandalous claim here. But I HATE JULIA MURNEY. Discuss....

That comment if made of fail, for a number of reasons:
She is the best actress to have played Elphaba. Ever.
Her voice is amazing - fluid, flexible and incredibly powerful.
Her interpretation is completely unlike any other.
She is madly hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest