Being torn in half

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Before Christmas, my boyfriend and my mum had a massive argument and they haven't spoken to each other since.

My mum is really, really upset about it and doesn't think she'll ever be able to forgive him for the things he said to her. She's having panic attacks and sleepless nights because of it.

He, however, doesn't think he really did anything wrong and although he's sorry for the upset caused, he thinks she's overreacting.

I feel like I'm being torn in half because obviously I love my mum and want her to be happy, but I've been with my boyfriend for five years and this is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with.

How can I reconcile them??
Armastan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My mum is really, really upset about it and doesn't think she'll ever be able to forgive him for the things he said to her.
What on earth did he say to her to make her have panic attacks and not be able to sleep? It must've been something unforgivable and very cruel if she was that hurt. I wouldn't want to stay with anyone who would say something to my mum that'd make her act like that, whether I had been with them for 5 years or not.
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What were they arguing about? There's no way of knowing if they're overreacting if we don't know what was said
DanB1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I saw the title of the thread.... I weirdly enough was hoping it was about someone quite literally being torn in half....
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Armastan)
What on earth did he say to her to make her have panic attacks and not be able to sleep? It must've been something unforgivable and very cruel if she was that hurt. I wouldn't want to stay with anyone who would say something to my mum that'd make her act like that, whether I had been with them for 5 years or not.
He basically said that she was a bit too loud and bossy when she comes to visit and that he would enjoy seeing her more if she calmed down a bit and didn't talk so much.

It doesn't sound terrible, but my mum has had to put up with a lot of **** in her life and her confident, strong persona is just a shield that she puts up to protect herself. She's actually very sensitive and this has really knocked her confidence.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, doesn't really care what people say to him, so he never thought that she would react so badly to it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DanB1991)
When I saw the title of the thread.... I weirdly enough was hoping it was about someone quite literally being torn in half....
Sorry to disappoint you....honestly, though, if I could suffer the pain of being literally torn in half, in exchange for going back in time and fixing things, then believe me, I would!
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He basically said that she was a bit too loud and bossy when she comes to visit and that he would enjoy seeing her more if she calmed down a bit and didn't talk so much.

It doesn't sound terrible, but my mum has had to put up with a lot of **** in her life and her confident, strong persona is just a shield that she puts up to protect herself. She's actually very sensitive and this has really knocked her confidence.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, doesn't really care what people say to him, so he never thought that she would react so badly to it.
sorry but if shes having panic attacks over that then yes she is over reacting imo.
Blondie987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If that's literally all he said with no malice, swearing or intentional attack then I say she is overreacting but your bf should understand how much it has hurt her and should definitely at least apologise
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I saw it was in the Relationships forum and immediately thought "Wow, that guy must have a HUGE penis...".
DanB1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
I saw it was in the Relationships forum and immediately thought "Wow, that guy must have a HUGE penis...".
^ This guy gets it..... Not the huge penis.... more the initial shock of the thread title.... unless you like huge penis? I wouldn't be one to judge..... I'm going to shut up now :lol:
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
^ This guy gets it..... Not the huge penis.... more the initial shock of the thread title.... unless you like huge penis? I wouldn't be one to judge..... I'm going to shut up now :lol:
Small penises only.

#nohomo
Armastan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you explained that to your boyfriend? Make him realise that to others it seems like she's overreacting but to herself it hurt more than expected. I know people can say some horrible things when they're angry/in an argument. I think you should have your boyfriend apologise for the things he said that, though he didn't think it would, actually hurt her feelings and have your mother apologise for her part in the argument (I don't know who or what caused it but a mutual apology should help). Try not to force them to apologise though, talk to them so they can see reason to. I'm sure that the argument is something they can get past eventually, especially if you're going to be spending the rest of your life with him. You can even tell them that since this will mean being family and potentially seeing each other often and so it's in everyone's best interests to move on from this.
DanB1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Small penises only.

#nohomo
#itsnotgayifitsathreeway
Blondie987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
#itsnotgayifitsathreeway
The Golden Rule
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
#itsnotgayifitsathreeway
#HelecoptorDick

P.S. Love the beat on that song, 90s hip hop vibes
Cremated_Spatula
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before Christmas, my boyfriend and my mum had a massive argument and they haven't spoken to each other since.

My mum is really, really upset about it and doesn't think she'll ever be able to forgive him for the things he said to her. She's having panic attacks and sleepless nights because of it.

He, however, doesn't think he really did anything wrong and although he's sorry for the upset caused, he thinks she's overreacting.

I feel like I'm being torn in half because obviously I love my mum and want her to be happy, but I've been with my boyfriend for five years and this is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with.

How can I reconcile them??
Do you know roughly what was said?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (163)
44.41%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (41)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (30)
8.17%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.71%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.54%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed