Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't understand why anyone would want to live in Durham... Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if you're thinking of this, don't. I will give you honesty about this place, not all the absolute lies that Durham uni tell about how cosy and beautiful this place is. I've lived here my entire life.

Durham is the most boring place in the entire country. There's absolutely nothing to do if you don't drink. And if you do, there about 15 pubs and 'clubs,' which you could go to in one night, would probably take about twenty minutes. There are no big supermarkets at all, just tiny little shops that have hardly anything. All shops could be reached within 30 minutes. No events at all happen here, forget about decent festivals.

For anything else you have to travel to another place. The bus station is the tackiest place in the world, and you'll spend half of your life on public transport or waiting for buses, which normally come once every half hour. And the places surrounding Durham are just as bad as Durham with nothing there at all. Newcastle is decent, but impossible to get there from Durham, apart from a night bus which takes about two hours and can only be reached from one place in Newcastle. Trains and buses are also rare to there and take 30-90 minutes. Taxis are extremely expensive because everything is so far away. This will be a big shock for people coming from cities, who are used to frequent public transport and actual things to do.

I handed out my CV in every single place in Durham in one day, and I never got a job or even one callback. I know this is irrelevant, as I may not have had experience, etc, but I'm just demonstrating how impossible it is to get any work. If you go to surrounding areas, you'll be spending all of your money on transport, so there's no point. I used to spend £25 a week to get home, and I only live 20 mins away.

I hold such resentment against this place. I can't wait to be rid of it when I go to uni in September, and I just want to warn people of the mistake they'll be making if they choose to live here. Two students I spoke to were actually considering dropping out because of how dull the place is compared to where they're from.

Everyone is blinded by the prestige of the uni and honestly don't even consider how bad the area is. I know everyone will still apply because of how 'beautiful' Durham is, but that wears off within ten minutes when you realise there's nothing else here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can tell you that the beauty of Durham doesn't wear off for me. I get up every single morning and think to myself how gorgeous this place is and how lucky I am to be here. I never get bored. As a student I am extremely busy anyway and colleges have an enormous amount of events planned so that's nothing to worry about. Plus it even feels magical in the rain ☺

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study at Durham university in october and I'm more than excited. Actually, my town sounds to be really boring compared to Durham, there is no night life at all where I live and the transports almost don't work... so think that Durham is not that bad! . Also, as Loreenaj said, I believe that the life for uni students over there is much more different from the one of high school pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loreenaj)
    Well, I can tell you that the beauty of Durham doesn't wear off for me. I get up every single morning and think to myself how gorgeous this place is and how lucky I am to be here. I never get bored. As a student I am extremely busy anyway and colleges have an enormous amount of events planned so that's nothing to worry about. Plus it even feels magical in the rain ☺
    Oh, wow, it must be because you've only lived here a year or two? If you'd lived here your whole life, you'd be sick of it. I actually don't understand why people like it here! You can't be from a big city?

(Original post by Simonab)
    I'm going to study at Durham university in october and I'm more than excited. Actually, my town sounds to be really boring compared to Durham, there is no night life at all where I live and the transports almost don't work... so think that Durham is not that bad! . Also, as Loreenaj said, I believe that the life for uni students over there is much more different from the one of high school pupils.
    Have you actually been to look around? Because that's where the pitfall is, if you haven't been then you can't possibly imagine how dull it is. It might be a tiny bit better if you're from a village, like me, but people from cities are actually shocked when they come here, because compared to where they live it's an absolute doss.

Good luck, though! You'll need it to survive. I have no nightlife where I live either, as I live in a village, I have no buses or anything, and Durham isn't an improvement. I only go there because it's the only place in the north east near where I live. I guess it may be different with events that the uni plans, but if there's no uni events on, then you'll have to hold back with the sheer excitement. Just preparing you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Save.Me)
    Oh, wow, it must be because you've only lived here a year or two? If you'd lived here your whole life, you'd be sick of it. I actually don't understand why people like it here! You can't be from a big city?

Have you actually been to look around? Because that's where the pitfall is, if you haven't been then you can't possibly imagine how dull it is. It might be a tiny bit better if you're from a village, like me, but people from cities are actually shocked when they come here, because compared to where they live it's an absolute doss.

Good luck, though! You'll need it to survive. I have no nightlife where I live either, as I live in a village, I have no buses or anything, and Durham isn't an improvement. I only go there because it's the only place in the north east near where I live. I guess it may be different with events that the uni plans, but if there's no uni events on, then you'll have to hold back with the sheer excitement. Just preparing you for your time
    I've lived in difference places. I'm originally from a tiny village with not more than 2000 inhabitants. But the place where I lived before coming here was probably bigger than Newcastle. I'm just not the type to like big cities. I like to have some fresh air and Durham is just fine for me. I understand your point though. I guess it all depends on personal preferences. As for the nightlife I'm not someone who goes out often anyway so that also doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you are so encouraging! Anyway I've never been in the north of England, but I'm still excited to visit it. I keep looking forward of moving there and of taking part to the uni life and events. Also, I really wish you to move in a big city soon, because you sound as bored as me of living in the same village.

ReputationRep:
    As a Durham native, I have to take umbrage at this thread.

Durham is a fantastic lively place to be. We have a Wetherspoons, trendy upmarket venues like The Fighting Cocks, a branch of Next, plenty of stylish coffee shops full of old people, rowing boats that sink if you don't really put your back into it, a beautiful prison that has housed the likes of Rose West and Myra Hindley, a statue of a famous dwarf and plenty of badgers.

What's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loreenaj)
    I've lived in difference places. I'm originally from a tiny village with not more than 2000 inhabitants. But the place where I lived before coming here was probably bigger than Newcastle. I'm just not the type to like big cities. I like to have some fresh air and Durham is just fine for me. I understand your point though. I guess it all depends on personal preferences. As for the nightlife I'm not someone who goes out often anyway so that also doesn't bother me.
    I'm from a village with less than 500 people living there, lol. We don't have a shop, only one pub. But, yeah, if you're from a tiny place then it will be better and liveable, rather than me, who's lived in a small place my entire life (never experiencing a city.)

(Original post by Simonab)
    Wow you are so encouraging! Anyway I've never been in the north of England, but I'm still excited to visit it. I keep looking forward of moving there and of taking part to the uni life and events. Also, I really wish you to move in a big city soon, because you sound as bored as me of living in the same village.
    How can you know what it's like if you've never been haha? I wouldn't like to go to a place for uni that I'd never been before Yeah, I hope so too, thank you! If you've lived in a small village your entire life, then Durham will be slightly better for you. But it's still absolutely tiny, so if you're looking for something lively then I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend Newcastle if you're looking for the city experience, that's a really nice place to live.

(Original post by Quantex)
    As a Durham native, I have to take umbrage at this thread.

Durham is a fantastic lively place to be. We have a Wetherspoons, trendy upmarket venues like The Fighting Cocks, a branch of Next, plenty of stylish coffee shops full of old people, rowing boats that sink if you don't really put your back into it, a beautiful prison that has housed the likes of Rose West and Myra Hindley, a statue of a famous dwarf and plenty of badgers.

What's not to like?
    Wow, you're really selling the place. I can tell you like it as much as me. You forgot about the beautiful bus station, the church that everyone uses to smoke weed outside of, and not having a good time anywhere unless you take drugs or get hammered.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest thing people should have a warning of is the campus in Stockton. I live right near there, and if I turned up expecting beautiful Durham and ended up in Stockton I'd cry my freaking eyes out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I think the biggest thing people should have a warning of is the campus in Stockton. I live right near there, and if I turned up expecting beautiful Durham and ended up in Stockton I'd cry my freaking eyes out!
    Haha yeah, unlucky medical students. It's only slightly worse than Durham.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.