Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys,

After a recent career change, I am looking to go back into teaching.
    During my time at University, i did some work experience at a School for a placement module (about 2 years ago) however I have lost contact with the school I worked with since then.
    Ive decided to see if I want to pursue teaching to refresh my classroom experience by looking for work as a teaching assistant instead of jumping directly into a PGCE.
    (I did apply last year and got interviews, but postponed it to get more experience of my subject and see if i really wanted to do it)
    Now I'm applying for teaching assistant jobs, a lot are asking for my experience during University to be a reference. I have tried contacting my old employer, but have had no luck in getting back in contact.

During my placement module, I struggled to get a reference then also (i needed it to complete the module and pass) and had to wait 4-5 weeks for the reference. The teacher who gave me it eventually also kicked off a lot that she was too busy to be writing references for me and didn't see why I needed it. (fair enough) This is the same person I need a reference off now!

Should I be honest with prospective employers that I will struggle to gain a reference off this old employer? Or should I keep trying to get in touch?

I have plenty of other references from other work experiences and jobs I've had, however, because it is a teaching job - as you all know - they arent really too interested in my other positions as they were no kids there!

Just be honest. It's a TA role not a huge impressive job. And it's reasonable that someone you did a placement with a couple of years ago doesn't want to necessarily write a long in depth reference, they may not even remember you.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.