Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Classroom experience but no reference! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

After a recent career change, I am looking to go back into teaching.
    During my time at University, i did some work experience at a School for a placement module (about 2 years ago) however I have lost contact with the school I worked with since then.
    Ive decided to see if I want to pursue teaching to refresh my classroom experience by looking for work as a teaching assistant instead of jumping directly into a PGCE.
    (I did apply last year and got interviews, but postponed it to get more experience of my subject and see if i really wanted to do it)
    Now I'm applying for teaching assistant jobs, a lot are asking for my experience during University to be a reference. I have tried contacting my old employer, but have had no luck in getting back in contact.

During my placement module, I struggled to get a reference then also (i needed it to complete the module and pass) and had to wait 4-5 weeks for the reference. The teacher who gave me it eventually also kicked off a lot that she was too busy to be writing references for me and didn't see why I needed it. (fair enough) This is the same person I need a reference off now!

Should I be honest with prospective employers that I will struggle to gain a reference off this old employer? Or should I keep trying to get in touch?

I have plenty of other references from other work experiences and jobs I've had, however, because it is a teaching job - as you all know - they arent really too interested in my other positions as they were no kids there!

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest. It's a TA role not a huge impressive job. And it's reasonable that someone you did a placement with a couple of years ago doesn't want to necessarily write a long in depth reference, they may not even remember you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.